Just got unlimited data added to my account today

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSC450

Reaction score
I would try that, but I currently don't have a smart phone, and don't want to upgrade to one right now, unless I can get unlimited data. That's kinda my bargaining chip to find someone to get me unlimited data. And I can't add a smartphone data plan or hotspot plan on my old feature phone.

Someone should test this theory because if it works im all for it. However, I did have them switch me from the 2g of data to the 4g of data at no charge :icon_ lala:

guitarskoota

Reaction score
Woot, just called again, 2nd call. Got a lady on the phone and told her that I was talking to some reps at Best Buy and that they told me that because I was still on a feature phone, that if I called CS and asked, that they could probably get me on the unlimited plan if I upgraded my phone. She said yes, they have a promotion going on this month where they can get me on the unlimited plan for 29.99 a month. I double and triple checked and asked her to make sure the promotion wasn't the 4gb a month one they have going (double data), and she said no, it is truly unlimited, and asked if I wanted to go ahead with it, so I said yes yes yes! New Droid Bionic is on its way with unlimited data! Woot!

RSC450

Reaction score
Woot, just called again, 2nd call. Got a lady on the phone and told her that I was talking to some reps at Best Buy and that they told me that because I was still on a feature phone, that if I called CS and asked, that they could probably get me on the unlimited plan if I upgraded my phone. She said yes, they have a promotion going on this month where they can get me on the unlimited plan for 29.99 a month. I double and triple checked and asked her to make sure the promotion wasn't the 4gb a month one they have going (double data), and she said no, it is truly unlimited, and asked if I wanted to go ahead with it, so I said yes yes yes! New Droid Bionic is on its way with unlimited data! Woot!

Did you have to resign a new 2yr contract. I basically did the same thing but I bought my bionic off contract and replaced my dare with the bionic. At the time I added my bionic there was no "unlimited data" for 29.99 only the 2g. I called. Today and mentioned I seen the ad on their website and they upgraded me to the 4g of data for $30 a month. They did not mention I could get the unlimited. Seems to be a hit and miss on on the VZW Rep feels that day if they want to give you the unlimited Data. Should I call again and ask if there is a promotion for the $29.99 unlimited data plan? I could always add my Dare back to my account then have them upgrade me to the $29.99 unlimited data when I add it back on? Not sure

guitarskoota

Reaction score
Did you have to resign a new 2yr contract. I basically did the same thing but I bought my bionic off contract and replaced my dare with the bionic. At the time I added my bionic there was no "unlimited data" for 29.99 only the 2g. I called. Today and mentioned I seen the ad on their website and they upgraded me to the 4g of data for $30 a month. They did not mention I could get the unlimited. Seems to be a hit and miss on on the VZW Rep feels that day if they want to give you the unlimited Data. Should I call again and ask if there is a promotion for the $29.99 unlimited data plan? I could always add my Dare back to my account then have them upgrade me to the $29.99 unlimited data when I add it back on? Not sure

Yeah I re-signed a new 2 year contract. I was actually about 3 months out of contract on my old non-smart phone. I have a friend who works at a Verizon Dealer store, and he figures, the reason it worked is because I was on a non-smart phone, upgrading to a smart phone for the first time, so I didn't have a chance to get the unlimited data plan when it was available because I was locked in to a non-smart phone contract. Most CS reps wont make that exception but apparently some will. This might not be right either though, that is just his speculation.

Last edited:

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Yeah I re-signed a new 2 year contract. I was actually about 3 months out of contract on my old non-smart phone. I have a friend who works at a Verizon Dealer store, and he figures, the reason it worked is because I was on a non-smart phone, upgrading to a smart phone for the first time, so I didn't have a chance to get the unlimited data plan when it was available because I was locked in to a non-smart phone contract. Most CS reps wont make that exception but apparently some will. This might not be right either though, that is just his speculation.

gratz on your new phone and plan!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

RSC450

Reaction score

Hmm interesting. I have a family member in North Carolina that works for Verizon. I sent him a email reguaeding the above to see what he says. Maybe he can inform me a little more. Anyways, enjoy your new phone.

Southern Belle

Reaction score
I'm on a very old Alltel family plan ($59.99/mo, 900 min. with 4 phones, 11 F&F numbers). My very old feature phone was out of contract when I purchased on the drop date of 9/8. The store rep automatically put me on the 2Gb data saying he had no other option. So within the 3 day return window, I called and told the VZW rep (with plenty sweet honey added) that I wanted unlimited or the phone was going back. My reasoning was that while I had been waiting (after multiple delays) for the Bionic, VZW had went to capped plans and closed the unlimited option. I fully expected to argue with up the line of supervisors but without even a question, she gave me unlimited. Within days, my Bionic totally died and my local VZW store gave me another new one. I asked why I didn't have to fight to get unlimited and the store manager said it may have been either the long age of my account or the fact that my payments are auto-drafted monthly (always paid on time). I think there is some policy somewhere but who knows? Maybe due to the bad CS reputation VZW has garnered, they have given 1st line CS reps more authority. So, it never hurts to ask nicely and if that CS rep say no, try again with another rep.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I'm on a very old Alltel family plan ($59.99/mo, 900 min. with 4 phones, 11 F&F numbers). My very old feature phone was out of contract when I purchased on the drop date of 9/8. The store rep automatically put me on the 2Gb data saying he had no other option. So within the 3 day return window, I called and told the VZW rep (with plenty sweet honey added) that I wanted unlimited or the phone was going back. My reasoning was that while I had been waiting (after multiple delays) for the Bionic, VZW had went to capped plans and closed the unlimited option. I fully expected to argue with up the line of supervisors but without even a question, she gave me unlimited. Within days, my Bionic totally died and my local VZW store gave me another new one. I asked why I didn't have to fight to get unlimited and the store manager said it may have been either the long age of my account or the fact that my payments are auto-drafted monthly (always paid on time). I think there is some policy somewhere but who knows? Maybe due to the bad CS reputation VZW has garnered, they have given 1st line CS reps more authority. So, it never hurts to ask nicely and if that CS rep say no, try again with another rep.

I have heard several times actually that getting in on certain "deals" or "upgrades" has a lot to do with your credit history with Verizon. So for those who this trick DID work, do you have a pretty solid credit/payment history with Verizon? This might be a big determining factor...

RSC450

Reaction score
I have heard several times actually that getting in on certain "deals" or "upgrades" has a lot to do with your credit history with Verizon. So for those who this trick DID work, do you have a pretty solid credit/payment history with Verizon? This might be a big determining factor...[/QUOT

I have been with Verizon for 7 years and was only late on 1 payment because I was out of town. I called Verizon 3 times todayreguarding the above and everyone of them informed me that Verizon no longer offers unlimited data for $29.99 a month. I even pulled the "I'm eligible for an upgrade on November 27th" what if I resign. Again I was informed I was unable to upgrade. I highly doubt credit or yrs with the company has anything to do with it as I have 4 lines on my account and have been a very loyalcustomer. I would consider those who just got the unlimited, very lucky.

fsumann

Reaction score
I got the unlimited plan when i called about the double data promo. I was within my first month with verizon and had not even received my first bill. When i asked for the upgrade to 4g they offered unlimited for both lines without even asking for it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I have heard several times actually that getting in on certain "deals" or "upgrades" has a lot to do with your credit history with Verizon. So for those who this trick DID work, do you have a pretty solid credit/payment history with Verizon? This might be a big determining factor...[/QUOT

I have been with Verizon for 7 years and was only late on 1 payment because I was out of town. I called Verizon 3 times todayreguarding the above and everyone of them informed me that Verizon no longer offers unlimited data for $29.99 a month. I even pulled the "I'm eligible for an upgrade on November 27th" what if I resign. Again I was informed I was unable to upgrade. I highly doubt credit or yrs with the company has anything to do with it as I have 4 lines on my account and have been a very loyalcustomer. I would consider those who just got the unlimited, very lucky.

Fair enough, didn't think so but I had heard it before; but just to be clear, did you request an unlimited data plan or did you request the unlimited hot spot feature add on which would ultimately include unlimited data even though they don't offer it anymore?

guitarskoota

Reaction score
I got the unlimited plan when i called about the double data promo. I was within my first month with verizon and had not even received my first bill. When i asked for the upgrade to 4g they offered unlimited for both lines without even asking for it.

So maybe it has something to do with getting a new smart phone in the month of November. That is one thing we both have in common. RSC450 maybe you should call them on Nov 27th, and tell them you are interested in getting your phone upgrade, but you have a friend that just got a new phone and he got told there is an unlimited data special this month with a new phone, and that you will upgrade if you can get that too. You might have to call back a few times til you get a rep that will do it. Like I said, my first rep I called acted like it wasn't even possible to put that on an account anymore, like it wasn't even an option, and the 2nd rep I called, was like yeah its a promotion this month and I can put it on there. And I did make her clarify in her words, that it was unlimited data, and NOT the 4gb plan that is the promotion right now. If you don't have any luck after about 4 or 5 calls, maybe just tell them you want to talk to a manager. They would have more pull I'm sure.

jesziicuh

Reaction score
just got unlimited data added :) worked like a charm thanks for the tip

RSC450

Reaction score
I just got unlimited as well all I had to do was talk to a supervisor this time and told him I did not plan on renewing my contract on the 27th because I want unlimited data. He added the data faster than I could say I'm switching to sprint. Thanks for the tip guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.