Just got this phone, have some questions.

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
So far so good:icon_ banana: but a couple of things are confusing me lol. And basically I'm trying to learn everything you guys know that took you months, in a few days :icon_eek:

• In the call log, I'm confused about some of the icons. I assume "Green arrow pointing North East" is calls dialed. I assume "Purple bent arrow" is calls received. What is blue "South West arrow"? Unless I got it backwards and Purple is missed calls?
  • What are the KEY apps to download to edit the appearance of the phone? I know about Bettercuts, Home++, Beautiful Widgets, but what are the rest of them? I know there are a lot more home editing apps like Home++, but I don't know their names. List as many as you can!! Also isn't there some weather widget donate that looks cool?
  • Speaking of donate, are those the apps that cost money? Do they have any different features than the paid versions?
  • Is there anyway to change the background colors on the default messenger? Right now its white for texts I sent, and teal for received texts.
  • Do apps like Handcent and Chomp, cost money to use? I'm not going to get a big text messaging bill am I? I have unlimited texts through Verizon right now. They aren't premium texts which cost money are they?
  • How do I get to the GPS function of this phone?
If I have more, I'll add some. I'm mostly concerned right now with changing the look of the phone, so any home editing or widgets, please post the good ones!

mfoshee

Reaction score
So far so good:icon_ banana: but a couple of things are confusing me lol. And basically I'm trying to learn everything you guys know that took you months, in a few days :icon_eek:

• In the call log, I'm confused about some of the icons. I assume "Green arrow pointing North East" is calls dialed. I assume "Purple bent arrow" is calls received. What is blue "South West arrow"? Unless I got it backwards and Purple is missed calls?
  • What are the KEY apps to download to edit the appearance of the phone? I know about Bettercuts, Home++, Beautiful Widgets, but what are the rest of them? I know there are a lot more home editing apps like Home++, but I don't know their names. List as many as you can!! Also isn't there some weather widget donate that looks cool?
  • Speaking of donate, are those the apps that cost money? Do they have any different features than the paid versions?
  • Is there anyway to change the background colors on the default messenger? Right now its white for texts I sent, and teal for received texts.
  • Do apps like Handcent and Chomp, cost money to use? I'm not going to get a big text messaging bill am I? I have unlimited texts through Verizon right now. They aren't premium texts which cost money are they?
  • How do I get to the GPS function of this phone?
If I have more, I'll add some. I'm mostly concerned right now with changing the look of the phone, so any home editing or widgets, please post the good ones!

The bent arrow is missed calls. As for the apps i dunno what to tell you clocks are good if you can find a good one beautiful widgets is amazing whatever you do dont get panda home it has the tendency to crash phones. Chomp has their own credits that you can buy but if you have unlimited no need just look through your settings on chomp and it hasnt changed my text bill any. I dont think the default sms app can change much of anything least not on my Moto Droid. Go into settings on the homescreen and you wanna check the box in the location and security tab that says use gps to find location. it does run the battery down faster. there is a widget on the motodroid that is called power saver that is a quick toggle that allows you to switch on and off different things like wifi gps and bluetooth without opening up the settings... hope this helped

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get Screebl. That's my good dead for the day.:icon_ banana:

jinxygrrl

Reaction score
Close.

Green is dialed.
Blue is received.
And purple/magenta is missed.

Key apps? To each his own.

Some of those apps are free and some do cost a bit.

Don't know about the default messenger.

Handcent and Chomp are free.

To find the GPS settings, from the home screen, go to setttings and choose Wireless & Networks.

Hope some of this helped.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad you are with the Droid. It is the best smartphone/ life changing event ever... Give up on everything you dreamed of because you will be attached to this device forever.. But to answer some questions..

Home alternatvies. I used Panda for a bit, but was glitchy.. Home++ a lot of people praise. Now I am rooted running the smoke glasss ROM, but since you just got your phone don't know if you want to root.. Stick to the forum and search the threads there is a bunch of posts on what other people like for home screens..

Beautiful widgets is great app, but I have since moved on to Weather Widget Donate. You can look it up in the app store by Weather Widget. Both are similar and both got attacked by HTC and had to tweak some things. They are both cheap to buy and totally worth it. Also both are now opening up to be able to change the skins, so look at the free versions look through this site and go from there. Personal choice is now weather widget for me. I like it better with the smoke glass ROM.

MSG IMO use Handcent. It is free. However any app program you download will not affect your txt msg bill with Verizon. They are simply programs used for msg. I like handcent because of the many tweaks. You got the backgrouns colors, you can tweak to pop up msg, you can have bubble msg like *cough* iphone.. Many options to customize. Even change the color of the LED that tells you have msgs.. again search the threads on this site.

Paying for apps.. If you try a free version and they have another.. Yes the paid verisions usually offer more and better things.. Sometimes though they are just asking for donations. This is simply just taking care of the guy that made the app that you like. It is good to throw them a buck or two just to say thanks.

To get GPS just go to the Google Maps. Put in a destination and it will prrompt you from there.

I know you will get more from others on here. Ultimatly play with it find what you like. The beauty of Android is the ability to customize. Good luck, and if you need anything this site is the BEST!!! :icon_ banana:

OP
G

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
So you can't change the background colors for the default messaging app?(The teal and white backgrounds)

Also is there a better virtual keypad or is the Android one that came with it the best?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you can't change the background colors for the default messaging app?(The teal and white backgrounds)

Also is there a better virtual keypad or is the Android one that came with it the best?

Quite a few. Better keyboard, smarter keyboard, and the favorite of many around here, Swype.

alm0614

Reaction score
definitely put the power widget on one of your screens, and as far as apps go

handcent is my favorite, if you use your calendar a lot then CalWidget. get a good file manager (astro is my favorite)