Just got the Incredible...help?

Discussion in 'HTC Droid Incredible' started by cicima6709, Jan 13, 2011.

1. cicima6709

cicima6709 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, just upgraded my basic flip phone for the droid incredible. This is my first smartphone, so it def. takes getting used to. Iv tried searching these forums for some questions, but wasnt able to find answers to a couple of them.

1st, i use Hotmail. I have read people having trouble with this, while others have managed to get it to work. I went into the Sync, typed in all the info (including the server being m.hotmail.com), but when i click next, it loads and then says there is an error. So is there any way that i can get hotmail to be my main email source on the phone? Or will i have to link hotmail to gmail and just have it go through that. Any ideas on how to get email working on the phone?

2nd, i dont plan on using facebook/twitter/other programs. I dont want them hurting my battery or anything. I realize that i cant delete them. Is there something i should do to prevent them from running all the time? I tried to do a force stop on a few of them, but when i turn my phone on later, i notice that apps such as facebook are under "running" apps. What should i do to make sure that apps which i will never use do not ruin my battery or memory?

Im a bit confused on how this whole apps thing works. when i open an app, and im done with it, such as AIM, do i need to turn it off? im just worried bout too many things running at the same time and wasting my battery.

3rd...small question, is there anyway to put my pictures in some kind of folder on the main screen? iv noticed the only way to get to them is by opening the camera first, just wondered if i can make a small icon for pics or something.

thats all i have for now, will def. have more questions later. thanks in advance guys!!! dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

2. MarkY3130

MarkY3130 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1) Hotmail - I have hotmail synching perfectly fine on my moto droid. Open the email app, click on manual setup, (may need to put in username first) click exchange account, (even if its not an exchange account) domain name is your full email address with nothing before or after it, put password in, put server as m.hotmail.com. I have not tried this on the incredible but it must be similar.
    2) There are many task killer apps you could use but I would recommend not using one. The android system has a built in task killer that manages the running apps and services pretty well. Just let it do its thing.
    3) Gallery app - In the app drawer there is an app called "gallery." This is your photos. You can press and hold on the app in the app drawer to put it on your home screen.
    Hope this helps

3. RyanPm40

RyanPm40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    2. Go into Settings> Accounts & Sync> Twitter for HTC Sense > Account Settings > Send & Receive > Update Schedule > Manual.

This way, it won't go automatically update it and drain your battery and data in the background. You can do something similar with all of the other things under "Accounts & Sync".

4. cicima6709

cicima6709 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys! That helps a lot. Heh, how long will it take til i am completely used to everything this phone offers? Seems every time i hit something, i see a completely new option.

As for the Hotmail thing, still not working. I put in everything that i am supposed to, and then it tells me to pick mail/contacts/schedule. I pick just mail. And then i click finish setup, and it says processing.

After a few seconds, i get a message saying "ERROR - Failed to create the account. Please try again later." I have been getting this message all day. Any idea guys?

5. cicima6709

cicima6709 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So does anyone know how i can get the email working?

Also, is there anyway to permanently make an app never turn on? For instance, i have clicked on running apps, and clicked on the facebook app and clicked force stop. But it seems that it is on again in the future. I realize i cant delete apps, but i can stop them from ever running?

6. RyanPm40

RyanPm40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I'm pretty sure you can uninstall Facebook, just not Facebook for HTC Sense. I could be wrong, though.

I'm not really sure how to keep it from being open. If you don't have an account logged in, I don't see how it would be using data and syncing... For now, I'd just go into Go into Settings> Accounts & Sync> Facebook for HTC Sense > Account Settings and set the update schedule to once a day, to be safe.

But, it really shouldn't be doing anything to drain your battery if you aren't using it. Froyo does a good job of keeping things on in the background but not letting it affect your battery unless it's using data or doing something... I'm pretty sure it just kind of lays dormant. The only way to completely get rid of Facebook is if you root your phone, sadly, there's a lot of bloatware on this phone when it's running stock.

Just don't obsess over it and Force Close it, that will just use more resources and battery because it will keep opening itself back up, and never get a task killer, Froyo doesn't need them :p.