Just got my droid x

Dsmith

Reaction score
Just got it tonight, looks like ive got alot to learn. Ive figured out alot already, still cant figure out how to get a ringtone (actual song).

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Loading ringtones is fairly simple depending on what you want to do...use pre-exisiting tones you have, or downloading tones from elsewhere....

Tones you have from another phone can be done this way:

1) Plug the phone in via USB
2) Select USB Mass Storage by dragging down the Notification Bar and tapping USB
3) Once the SD Card is mounted (folder should open on the PC automatically), navigate to the Media folder on the SD card
4) Open Media folder and create a folder named Ringtones (if its not already there), and proceed to copy/paste your old ringtones into that folder
5) Once you have the tones copied over, reboot the phone(turn off/on)
6) Now, open a Contact, press the Hard Menu button on the phone(4 squares) and select Edit.
7) Scroll down to Additional Info, select the Arrow to open more Info Items, then select Ringtone.
8) Choose MP3 from the choices, then navigate to the Media/Ringtone folder and select the file you want to use.
9) Once completed, clcik "Save" on the Contact Edit screen and the tone should now be set for that contact.

Downloaded ringtones are basically the same process, except no need for connecting via USB..but you will need to know where the downloaded ringtone originally downloads to, as well as being able to know how to Move/Paste files in Android.

Any questions or confusion feel free to post back here with them...

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Better yet - download RingDroid (free in the Market) and you can choose a MP3 from your collection, edit the length and part of the song you wish to use, and apply it as a ringtone :)

MrKleen

Reaction score
Part of the fun is figuring out all your new phone can do!

Enjoy!

Natey2

Reaction score
3) Once the SD Card is mounted (folder should open on the PC automatically), navigate to the Media folder on the SD card
4) Open Media folder and create a folder named Ringtones (if its not already there), and proceed to copy/paste your old ringtones into that folder

My default ringtone folder was at
/media/audio/ringtones/

on the sdcard

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
D

Dsmith

Reaction score
after having the phone 2 days ive learned alot. i figured out how to get a ringtone from a app, would like to figure out how to send one to a friend (not sure thats possible). still have a long way to go on learning stuff. hard to say on what my thoughts are of the phone right now, its not as great as i thought it would be as of right now but that could be because i hardly know how to use all of its functions. i do miss my old phones setup of texting, it was so much easier then the droids.

lewwill

Reaction score
after having the phone 2 days ive learned alot. i figured out how to get a ringtone from a app, would like to figure out how to send one to a friend (not sure thats possible). still have a long way to go on learning stuff. hard to say on what my thoughts are of the phone right now, its not as great as i thought it would be as of right now but that could be because i hardly know how to use all of its functions. i do miss my old phones setup of texting, it was so much easier then the droids.

I've had my X since it came out and still finding new things it will do. Texting is really simple once you get into it, much easier than my wife's EnV3.

METAL MUZZLE

Reaction score
I have had my X for 3 weeks and these guys here have taught me alot about my phone ! Everyone here is very helpful ! So if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask ... when or if you get ready for a rom there are alot of them and they will amaze you on the difference they make

Come to the DarkSlide !

OP
D

Dsmith

Reaction score
yeah people here have been very helpful, like above with the ringtones.

... when or if you get ready for a rom there are alot of them and they will amaze you on the difference they make

Come to the DarkSlide !

sorry im not real good on computer stuff, please explain what a rom is and what it does and how i go about getting one and installing??

METAL MUZZLE

Reaction score
a rom is a operating system on your phone that is different than your original operating system that came with your phone ... they look better / operate faster / have more options / but they do require a few steps in order to install them and do void your phones warranty and there r a few risks involved but if done right and you make a backup recovery they r the best thing going on a Droid ... I run a DarkSlide rom that is fast , stylish and stable with great support and I love it but there r many other roms to choose from ... what I like u may not ! If and when u get ready for a rom just do some research to find what fits u ... but if u r interested in DarkSlide hit me up in a PM and I will point u in the right direction ... I buy no means nor will anyone else push a rom on u its your choice

Come out of the light & into the DarkSlide !

OP
D

Dsmith

Reaction score
is there anyway to use one of the songs ive downloaded for a ringtone to be used as a text message notification?

METAL MUZZLE

Reaction score
I use ringdroid app its free and u set how long u want the ringtone or notification to be ... then set it as ringtone or notification in sound settings or in contacts

Come out of the light & into the DarkSlide !

OP
D

Dsmith

Reaction score
i downloaded the ringdroid app to make custom text notifications. i can get the song to play when i recieve a text, but the song is very notchy and sounds like a cd skipping. whats the secret to making a text notification sound correctly with ringdroid.