Just got my droid. Should I wait for 2.1 before messing with it?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Sabiancym, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Sabiancym

Sabiancym New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my Motorola Droid a few days and want to eventually root this thing and start messing around. Probably overclocking it a little bit.

However, I don't want to run into headaches once 2.1 is officially launched.

Should I just wait until 2.1 is officially launched before rooting and overclocking? Will there be any problems later on if I don't?

I don't want to install 2.1 right now, I want to wait until it's actually launched.

Thanks

2. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome, Sabiancym! I'd suggest you take this time to really get to know your phone as stock, and then when you do root, you'll have a basis for appreciating the difference. The more you know, the better prepared you'll be to spot trouble. Just my .02.

3. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats good advice. I wanted to tell you to just root and mess the hell out of your droid (cause you cant really mess it up, as long as you save recovery points) but yea, you should play around with it for a while as it is. I was waiting for probably a month on the 2.1 update but when it wasn't coming i rooted and now i am SO pleased with this phones performance. Learn then play...

4. Sabiancym

Sabiancym New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

If I rooted it now and overclocked to 800mhz, would I have any headaches once 2.1 officially launched?

5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
  6. johall07

johall07 Member

Ratings:
    +0

no the roms that you would use would block the OTA update and you would have to unroot to get it but to tell you the truth if you are even 1% leaning towards rooting just do it cause all the roms now are 2.1 and you get ten times more features with the roms...so basically if you root there is absolutely no reason to return to stock for 2.1 you would actually be getting less features

7. NeverEndingXsin

Ratings:
    +0
    +1

rooting gives you a lot more freedom and possibilities then just normal stock gives you like wireless tether, overclocking, different themes, etc. the scariest part is actually getting your phone rooted atleast it was for me, but after that you'll have a lot of fun :)

8. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    You'd have to unroot to pick up the official OTA update. The others are correct in that once you root you probably won't go back. There are a few who have unrooted though and are waiting for the update to see what its like. Time will tell if they stick with that or go and root once again.

And you answered your own question by saying "I don't want to install 2.1 right now, I want to wait until it's actually launched.". But...feel free to change your mind.

Meanwhile, download HelixLauncher from the market and give that a try as your desktop manager. It will let you get up to 7 desktops instead of the stock 3. (no rooting required). There are plenty of other apps to play with too.

9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm surprised and pleased by the answers coming out of you guys. I thought everybody would be telling the new person to root. Good answers.

10. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    ahh, one of the unrooted. The members have taken up a pool to see how long you stay on stock after 2.1 comes out. I'm down for a day and a half :)

But seriously...performance wise you can have things run smoother at a cost to battery life. Other than wifi-tether everything else is pretty much eye candy.

Sometimes some pretty amazing eye candy. We've got some pretty talented themers here. I read someone is working on getting this to work for the droid as a theme that will work on our Moto Droids:

android-theme.com | Buuf rebuilt the only way to theme

11. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,809
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    I think we have some level heads in here and to suggest that someone dive into the root process is a little careless. To be honest if people did the reading and understood what they read we wouldn't be needed :icon_ devil: I will say root, but do the research and ask questions before you get in trouble. If something is a little confusing ask about it. Always remember there are no stupid questions.

12. MdicnMan

MdicnMan Member

Ratings:
    +3
    While it's just a technicality, you do not need to unroot to get the OTA.

You would need to unblock the update. Rooting on its own does nothing to interfere with the OTA.

Good advice from everyone though.

#12 MdicnMan, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010