Just got an OTA on my MAXX

jp233

Reaction score
What bothers me the most is, (and this is true of Dish Network, Direct TV, and other subscription services) if you're a new customer they shower you with gifts, free services, low rates, etc. But, if you're a loyal long time customer who's been paying your subs for years, you get SQUAT! Nada. Nothing. No deals, no longtime customer loyalty goodies, nothing. Don't be late with your bill our we'll cancel you.

While there is some truth to that, you can play hardball with most companies. Especially DTV, ask to talk to their customer retention department. Those are the real, more caring customer service reps (I still use the term loosely, some folks still are Clark Howard's version of "customer non-service") but they generally can offer up goodies, credits, rate changes etc in order to retain a customer.

And with VZW, if you're not in a contract, but they offer some new shiny plan which suits your needs and they won't switch you for whatever reason, you can always cancel and then literally sign right back up, with your existing device, for the new plan. Obviously most new plans include a 2-yr contract, but they may be able to work with you better if your BYOD'ing.

jp233

Reaction score
Then it's "Hello T-Mobile"

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using TapaTalk 4

True, I used to worry about that but honestly it really just all depends on how much data you use. At first I thought like I'd rip through 4gb but now barely use one quarter of that in a month. Using Wifi at home obviously, and even though I could use it all day at work too (which would help IMMENSLY on battery life), I choose not to. With more Wifi popping up everywhere, huge data plans are unfortunately probably going to become more scarce and more pricey.

jp233

Reaction score
My phone was rooted also before the update (not any more) and my stock hotspot app still seems to work but iam using foxfi also.

Just re-root using the RAZRblade...

Soccerref12

Reaction score
True, I used to worry about that but honestly it really just all depends on how much data you use. At first I thought like I'd rip through 4gb but now barely use one quarter of that in a month. Using Wifi at home obviously, and even though I could use it all day at work too (which would help IMMENSLY on battery life), I choose not to. With more Wifi popping up everywhere, huge data plans are unfortunately probably going to become more scarce and more pricey.

We don't have home wifi except Verizon 3GB MiFi. So if we want to stream a sports event or movie from the web, it's on my unlimited data plan. I go thru 8-10GB a month. If I decide to leave Verizon when I get a new device, I'm looking at Walmart Family Plan that uses Verizon network...

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using TapaTalk 4

drtj80

Reaction score
So drtj80, you're saying you're having all these problems, and you haven't even installed the upgrade yet? That doesn't make sense, but I guess you never know with these phones. I sat with the 'upgrade' uninstalled for a few days before I finally took the plunge and noticed nothing different. I wouldn't expect anything to happen if I didn't install anything. Our batteries don't show any difference in life since the actual upgrade. We're still using our trusty old Droid RAZR Maxx phones. I hear some folks talking about the KitKat OS upgrade causing problems, but that's not what we got. I'm wondering if the old Maxx's will even allow the KitKat upgrade when that comes out. I really don't care, cuz I'm sticking to these phones until they "wrench them from our cold, dead hands" - ha.

I can't address what you need to do if you're rooted. Don't know anything about that.
It must have been just a weekend thing. Battery is charging the way it should now. Still have not installed the update. Going to hold out a few more days. Hopefully it won't brick my phone or cause issues with FoxFi.

jp233

Reaction score
Wow, dang that is a lot. But I guess I might use the snot out of unlimited data if I Had it too...

kooshie

Reaction score
Same here with the unlimited data, my husband and use quite a bit, without using the hotspot. About 10/15 GB each. No way I could give up my unlimited data.

moset

Reaction score
I took the OTA with no problems. I'm rooted and using SS and CM11, which BTW almost helps my desire to upgrade my phone.
Voodoo root keeper, back up root while running stock, temp unroot, take the update, restore root, back to CM.
As for unlimited data, at least for now you can keep it if you buy a new phone at full price or you can use your upgrade and get Verizon Max data plan (6gig for $30).

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

nhepler90

Reaction score
So I didn't think anything of it with the update and installed it without using root keeper and such. Lost root, finally got around to trying RAZR blade to re-root and about halfway through I get an error message. (See attachment) I have used the utility multiple times and have everything from drivers and such up to date. The utility says it was finished and things should be rooted. But to no avail I still do not have root access. Was there something patched up with the latest update that fixed the exploits? Or is there something I have to get rid of (data/logger) for it to work?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140123_093437.png
    ForumRunner_20140123_093437.png
    297.8 KB · Views: 226

maomao

Reaction score
they already have. you cant get unlimited date. i signed the day be for the dead line almost 2 yrs ago. im not renewing my contract. we will see how long i keep my unlimited

I've been off contract with vzw since April 2010 & still have my unlimited data. Was afraid I'd lose it when i changed phones, but no. Thank gawd. Wifi doesn't work where i live in the last year - I'm job hunting now - have used up to 7 gigs is all. If my phone hadn't been searching for a signal so much it would have been more.

maomao

Reaction score
RAZR here, not MAXX. Sadly. Anyway, sure enough my mobile setting was on Global.
Glad i found that info here. Phone was suddenly sluggish. It was a notable change with the upgrade.

kooshie

Reaction score
Ok, I tried to re-root my Maxx again this evening. It was a no-go. I decided to go ahead and reset the device to see if I could root with a clean device. Nope, nada, I get completely through the process but no root. What give? Anyone have any luck that lost root with update to re-root?