Just got an OTA on my MAXX

2razrmaxx

Reaction score
+1 on this

My bad I assumed you knew ota would not change your plan.

I thought you were talking about a phone upgrade

MrTommy

Reaction score
An over the air upgrade will never change your data plan, as you are not doing anything to your phones contract.

The only time an "upgrade" will effect data plan is when you upgrade physical phone using "discount" pricing (meaning you aren't buying phone at full price...)

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

I guess I misunderstood the question too. The question addressed data plan and upgrade, and I didn't think it was referring to a phone upgrade, but the software. Nevertheless, questions resolved... :)

drtj80

Reaction score
Great info on this post! I have an original Razr. I am on the unlimited plan & use PDAnet/FoxFi daily for Xbox & computer. I have noticed since the OTA update was d/l (have not installed it) to my phone it charges extremely slow. I can usually run 3 Xbox Live accts & laptop w/o lag or a battery problem before d/l was done. Now I can have my phone on charge and it will still drop to the point of shutting down if foxfi is running. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, if i install the d/l do I have to root it to continue using FoxFi?

Soccerref12

Reaction score
Could someone confirm the correct procedure to upgrade? As I understand it, you reboot into Stock ensure you have VooDoo Rootkeeper, run the upgrade, enable VooDoo Rootkeeper again and you are good to go. Is this right? Of course make all the backups (Nandroid, and SS) before doing anything.

Reaction score
THIS F&*^!*& UPDATE BRICKED MY PHONE. Verizon is sending me a used one for free. took it into store with techs they said its done. was not routed.

Reaction score
I applied the OTA update today and now my phone is completely dead. It "boots", but I can't see anything on the screen. It shows the Motorola Logo, but after that, nothing. When I tried to do a recovery using the keys to access the boot menu, I get a little green android on the screen with an exclamation point over him. Is there anything I can do to get my phone working again?
same as mine. will not reboot. Verizon tech spent a whole min on it befor he ordered me a replacement.

MrTommy

Reaction score
Let me get this straight. Have you guys with the "bricks" rooted your phones? Mine and my wife's Maxx's are not rooted, and we finally did the upgrade - without any problems - so far...

And when the Verizon 'techs' determined that your phones were DOA, was there any talk about changing your data plan (if you still had unlimited) because that expired?

We've had the unlimited plan for years and it scares me to death to even think of what might happen if we have to step foot in a Verizon store - :blink:

MrTommy

Reaction score
Great info on this post! I have an original Razr. I am on the unlimited plan & use PDAnet/FoxFi daily for Xbox & computer. I have noticed since the OTA update was d/l (have not installed it) to my phone it charges extremely slow. I can usually run 3 Xbox Live accts & laptop w/o lag or a battery problem before d/l was done. Now I can have my phone on charge and it will still drop to the point of shutting down if foxfi is running. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, if i install the d/l do I have to root it to continue using FoxFi?

So drtj80, you're saying you're having all these problems, and you haven't even installed the upgrade yet? That doesn't make sense, but I guess you never know with these phones. I sat with the 'upgrade' uninstalled for a few days before I finally took the plunge and noticed nothing different. I wouldn't expect anything to happen if I didn't install anything. Our batteries don't show any difference in life since the actual upgrade. We're still using our trusty old Droid RAZR Maxx phones. I hear some folks talking about the KitKat OS upgrade causing problems, but that's not what we got. I'm wondering if the old Maxx's will even allow the KitKat upgrade when that comes out. I really don't care, cuz I'm sticking to these phones until they "wrench them from our cold, dead hands" - ha.

I can't address what you need to do if you're rooted. Don't know anything about that.

Reaction score
no talk of plan change. the guy was not surprised my phone was bricked. I think hes gotten a few lately. im not rooted. just ordered me another one and im setting it up right now.

MrTommy

Reaction score
no talk of plan change. the guy was not surprised my phone was bricked. I think hes gotten a few lately. im not rooted. just ordered me another one and im setting it up right now.

Glad to hear it's seemingly going easy (as easy as it can be when your phone turns onto a boat anchor...). And nice to hear the Verizon guy didn't broach the topic of data plans. I think I may be over-stressing on this, but it's the one thing I fear most. Losing our unlimited data plan. I hear they're going to eventually phase all these plans out at some point and force us all into teared level plans. UGH! :(

Reaction score
they already have. you cant get unlimited date. i signed the day be for the dead line almost 2 yrs ago. im not renewing my contract. we will see how long i keep my unlimited

Soccerref12

Reaction score
Glad to hear it's seemingly going easy (as easy as it can be when your phone turns onto a boat anchor...). And nice to hear the Verizon guy didn't broach the topic of data plans. I think I may be over-stressing on this, but it's the one thing I fear most. Losing our unlimited data plan. I hear they're going to eventually phase all these plans out at some point and force us all into teared level plans. UGH! :(

Then it's "Hello T-Mobile"

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using TapaTalk 4

MrTommy

Reaction score
they already have. We will see how long i keep my unlimited

Yeah, me too. However, even if (or should I say when ) they take it away, I'm still staying with Verizon simply because of the coverage. Here in Nevada (and many of the desert west states), nobody else has coverage that even comes close. When I was still working (OTR trucking), there just wasn't the coverage out this way with AT&T. Sprint had nothing, and T-Mobile is fine in town, but out in the desert - crickets.

Now that I'm retired and we're going to be spending weeks and weeks out in our RV, mostly in the deserts, we've got to have some reliable coverage, and like 'em or not, Verizon has it. It's been good for us to fire up FoxFi and WiFi to our iPads while parked in the middle of nowhere.

What bothers me the most is, (and this is true of Dish Network, Direct TV, and other subscription services) if you're a new customer they shower you with gifts, free services, low rates, etc. But, if you're a loyal long time customer who's been paying your subs for years, you get SQUAT! Nada. Nothing. No deals, no longtime customer loyalty goodies, nothing. Don't be late with your bill our we'll cancel you.

haz

Reaction score
I had rooted using RzrBlade Utility and once the update happened it of course removed the root. I still have SuperSu installed on my device (and my husband's) I'm not able to uninstall it. I already had purchased FoxFi but when the update broke it I decided to go ahead and root. Mobile HotSpot was the only reason I rooted. I don't care if I root again since FoxFi works but I'm not sure what to do with SuperSu, will it be fine just sitting there on an unrooted device?

Also, if I open the stock HotSpot app it doesn't check the status the way it did prior to rooting my device. Does this mean I didn't lose the hack for the free HotSpot. Felling a litte confused:blink:

Thanks for any help.

My phone was rooted also before the update (not any more) and my stock hotspot app still seems to work but iam using foxfi also.