Just got an OTA on my MAXX

MrTommy

Reaction score
Is anyone seeing any benefits from the upgrade?

Frankly, the only benefit I see is that nothing has changed. Especially on the FoxFi front (which was a great concern). It's not KitKat, and it's not an attempt to flush out apps that Android doesn't like. Not this time at least. So, I'm happy, mainly because I wasn't complaining about any problems to begin with. I'm not going to Canada anytime soon, and I'm even less likely to be going to Alaska (which are the Droidians who stand to benefit from this 'upgrade').

moset

Reaction score
I was just thinking that if it's a new baseband there might be signal improvements. I guess they would have touted that if it were the case.
CM11 is pretty solid now so I really see no reason to mess with stock.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

ckaelin

Reaction score
Hey Gang! I haven't been on here in ages. I too was prompted with this update. I am rooted and have been simply so I could use Android Tether. I am reading now about foxfi which allows tethering without root. You guys are really happy with it (foxfi)? If that was the only reason I was rooted should I just do the update and start using foxfi? I guess I Can always root again. Thoughts? Thanks!

skipbl92

Reaction score
Hey Gang! I haven't been on here in ages. I too was prompted with this update. I am rooted and have been simply so I could use Android Tether. I am reading now about foxfi which allows tethering without root. You guys are really happy with it (foxfi)? If that was the only reason I was rooted should I just do the update and start using foxfi? I guess I Can always root again. Thoughts? Thanks!

If tethering was your only reason for root then yes I would do the update and purchase pdanet+ w/foxfi.

hynderson

Reaction score
Why purchase when you can use the entitlement hack?? I updated, re-rooted and finally got my wifi hotspot back to working flawlessly. NO need to purchase anything. Speaking of, I'm posting this via my laptop ran by wifi hotspot at the moment.

ffontaine

Reaction score
Not to kick a dead horse but. Has anyone that has done the upgrade have unlimited data and does pdanet w/foxfi still work OK. I'm wondering if there is a check for unlimited data.

Thanks

baldcoder

Reaction score
I applied the OTA update today and now my phone is completely dead. It "boots", but I can't see anything on the screen. It shows the Motorola Logo, but after that, nothing. When I tried to do a recovery using the keys to access the boot menu, I get a little green android on the screen with an exclamation point over him. Is there anything I can do to get my phone working again?

baldcoder

Reaction score
I applied the OTA update today and now my phone is completely dead. It "boots", but I can't see anything on the screen. It shows the Motorola Logo, but after that, nothing. When I tried to do a recovery using the keys to access the boot menu, I get a little green android on the screen with an exclamation point over him. Is there anything I can do to get my phone working again?

Just got off the phone with Verizon tech support... replacement phone is on the way!

2razrmaxx

Reaction score
If you hold the volume up and volume down buttons at the same time you can get past that screen and then reboot with the next menu

MrTommy

Reaction score
Has anyone that has done the upgrade have unlimited data and does pdanet w/foxfi still work OK. I'm wondering if there is a check for unlimited data.

Thanks

My wife and I still have the unlimited data package, and we finally took the plunge. We did the 'upgrade' (pretty much a misnomer in my book). No change in our data package, and (the biggie for us) FoxFi is still operational.

2razrmaxx

Reaction score
What do you mean no change in your data package? Do you mean you still have unlimited after the upgrade?

kooshie

Reaction score
SuperSu

I had rooted using RzrBlade Utility and once the update happened it of course removed the root. I still have SuperSu installed on my device (and my husband's) I'm not able to uninstall it. I already had purchased FoxFi but when the update broke it I decided to go ahead and root. Mobile HotSpot was the only reason I rooted. I don't care if I root again since FoxFi works but I'm not sure what to do with SuperSu, will it be fine just sitting there on an unrooted device?

Also, if I open the stock HotSpot app it doesn't check the status the way it did prior to rooting my device. Does this mean I didn't lose the hack for the free HotSpot. Felling a litte confused:blink:

Thanks for any help.

MrTommy

Reaction score
What do you mean no change in your data package? Do you mean you still have unlimited after the upgrade?

What I mean is pretty much what I wrote. The 'upgrade' in question here, and that's not to KitKat, hasn't done anything to our plan. We've had the unlimited data plan for years, since back when we had LG enV2 phones (2008). We went to the Moto Droid when it came out (still on the unlimited plan), and then to the RAZR Maxx, still holding on to our unlimited plan. And now, we're due for new phones (according to Verizon anyway) but will pass on that as long as possible. I can't imagine what 'new & better' would look like. I've heard FoxFi gets the boot when (and if) you upgrade to KitKat. So far, I'm not even sure KitKat is going to be available to our 'old' RAZR Maxx phones - which would be fine.

We checked our Verizon account on-line this morning and it still shows 'unlimited', as does my on-the-phone usage total. So, we're not going anywhere near a Verizon store until we're hauled in there kicking and screaming and holding on to the bush outside the door - :wink:

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
An over the air upgrade will never change your data plan, as you are not doing anything to your phones contract.

The only time an "upgrade" will effect data plan is when you upgrade physical phone using "discount" pricing (meaning you aren't buying phone at full price...)

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2