Just got a fascinate...any advice?

arabstar1982

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My husband just got a fascinate last night, does anyone have any advice that may help him customize the phone and get the most out of it? This is only his second smartphone and he came to the fascinate from the Motorola Devour... which leaves a lot to be desired... Any help that anyone can provide to him would be great. I have a Droid X and the fascinate appears to be a much different interface so I am not sure I will be much help to him in general... Thanks in advance!!!

IamGov

Reaction score
Fascinate is very easy to customize. If you want to go more of the android route than install a launcher like ADW, Zen, or Pro. That will get it looking like a normal android platform.

If you want to keep it looking like a Samsung platform then you can get apps like Zedge for wallpapers and ringtones. There are also dialer apps that change the phone dialer format. Also try handcent for texting.

He can change any icon placement, even bottom row. Check around and if you have any particular questions pm me.

Sent via my Fascinate on the Droidforums app.
Owned D1, Incred, X, D2, and the Fascinate is the best.

fluidj

Reaction score
Fascinate is very easy to customize. If you want to go more of the android route than install a launcher like ADW, Zen, or Pro. That will get it looking like a normal android platform.

If you want to keep it looking like a Samsung platform then you can get apps like Zedge for wallpapers and ringtones. There are also dialer apps that change the phone dialer format. Also try handcent for texting.

He can change any icon placement, even bottom row. Check around and if you have any particular questions pm me.

Do you know how to change the default keyboard that pops up when you have a PIN# lock enabled? Our company network pushed a PIN# security to all smartphones accessing their outlook mail remotely. I'm fine with it, but it's annoying that i'm presented with a full QWERTY instead of just a dial pad on the unlock screen.

IamGov

Reaction score
I think you got this figured out already right fluidj?

fluidj

Reaction score

Well not really, the other method eliminates the screen lock altogether which after using it that way for a while I realized I didn't like. A couple of accidental depresses of the power button were enough. I don't mind having the PIN lock screen, but I just hate that the default QWERTY pops up instead of a simple number pad. On the iPhone and even on my old Windows Mobile phone the phone dialer type keyboard pops up when you have to enter the PIN, I prefer that.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
There are problems with the calendar syncing with Gmail. When you enter a new calendar event, you must change it from storing it from 'My Calendar' to Google. To avoid this, download Forte calendar from Market....it allows you you default to Google during the setup.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

talon011

Reaction score

Well not really, the other method eliminates the screen lock altogether which after using it that way for a while I realized I didn't like. A couple of accidental depresses of the power button were enough. I don't mind having the PIN lock screen, but I just hate that the default QWERTY pops up instead of a simple number pad. On the iPhone and even on my old Windows Mobile phone the phone dialer type keyboard pops up when you have to enter the PIN, I prefer that.
Fluidj.... I have a user who is experiencing the same displeasure. I was wondering/hoping you had some more infor on an alternate way to get the numpad to appear on unlock. Thanks

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 5
Twitter
@healthymommy13
i just downloaded Zedge and I LOVE it...i was using two separate programs, so this makes it so much easier :) I am also new to the fascinate so i can't wait to see what else is recommended...I rooted and put kaos froyo on my droid eris....so i cant wait to fiddle with this phone!