just got a droid! rooting and rom recommendations?

bigjonmoo73

Reaction score
I gotta go with UD2.5 at this point. Awesome ROM, tons of features and TONS of themes to choose from!

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
cool so i can get a card for emulators and games and a card for music and nongame apps right?

yeah i'm sure its 8gb. got the phone from someone but they took the card for their new one and gave me an 8gb card instead. can't really complain though. got a great phone for $110

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
i know :) and because of a couple other craigslist deals, if i sell my ipod touch, that droid is pretty much free.

well i'll probably just get a 16gb card when its on sale and use the 8gb for a backup if needed. just good to know i can switch without the hassle of copying a bunch of files. how much should i expect to pay for a 16gb card anyway?

D3fault121

Reaction score
I gotta go with UD2.5 at this point. Awesome ROM, tons of features and TONS of themes to choose from!
I have to agree. I still jump on my OG droid every now and again to update UD and play with new features.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
i know :) and because of a couple other craigslist deals, if i sell my ipod touch, that droid is pretty much free.

well i'll probably just get a 16gb card when its on sale and use the 8gb for a backup if needed. just good to know i can switch without the hassle of copying a bunch of files. how much should i expect to pay for a 16gb card anyway?

Depends on where you go. eBay will have some super cheap ones from Hong Kong, but those are always a gamble.

Newegg and Amazon are probably your best bets.

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
hey again guys. spent the past few days reading your guide furbearinganimal, but i'm not sure where to start and what to do first. also, noob question but how do i connect the droid to the pc? can i just stick the micro sd into my pc with a usb adapter?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
How you start depends on if you're doing it from the phone or the PC. If it's from the phone you need Astro installed so you can access the files. If it's from the PC you need to hook the PC to the phone via the USB cable that came with the phone.

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
can you link me to a guide for doing it directly from the phone? i didn't get the usb cable when i got the phone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Okay. That's where it gets difficult -- the only way to root entirely from a phone with 83D is to downgrade the OS and a lot of times that doesn't seem to be working. On the plus side, a quality micro USB cable can be had for not much money if you don't mind waiting for it to be delivered. :)

However, if you don't mind pushing ahead with the OS downgrade I can try to talk you through it.

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
i have FRG22D not 83D. if theres a guide or if you can talk me through it i'd appreciate it man.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Okay. First up, install Astro from the market. Next up, check the "allow unknown sources" button in settings> applications> so you can install z4root.

Now, download z4root from here -- you'll need an account.

[APP] z4root - xda-developers

Open Astro, navigate to the download folder and find the z4root apk. Press it and you'll be given the option to install it. Install it. Now run it and root your phone.

Congrats. Now, moving on, go here and follow these directions.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...hat-n00bs-guide-post-root-22.html#post1070921

Please ignore the numbering mistake in step 8.5 and please don't be offended if it sounds over-simplified. The instructions are pre-release for a method I was working on before 83D plugged the z4root hole, and as such aren't totally finalized.

Let me know if you run into any problems! :)

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
can i just put z4root in any folder? and after z4root i'm rooted right?

i got no problem with a simple guide. i actually kind of prefer it because i'm honestly too lazy to read an overcomplicated guide. thanks for the help man. :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
You don't need to put it anywhere, just install it from the download folder where you'll find it on the SD card after downloading it. :)

And z4root will root you, but it won't give you a custom recovery image, which you will need for ROMing.

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
You don't need to put it anywhere, just install it from the download folder where you'll find it on the SD card after downloading it. :)

are we talking about astro or z4root? i meant where do i put z4root if i download from pc and put it on a micro sd. sorry if i was unclear.