just got a droid! rooting and rom recommendations?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I already answered that question. Yes. :) You can do it all from your phone or you can get root and recovery in one fell swoop as outlined in link two in my signature, and as provided to you by Quicksilver. Make sure you follow those directions carefully as if you miss the reboot you'll have to start over again. The update.zip Motocache1 provides will be used in either the from-phone or RSD Lite/SBF method.

Doing it all from the phone will require that you read some posts in link 1 in my signature. :)

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i see you have the Chevy rom set at 1.2ghz while quicksilver has it set to 800mhz. am i right in assuming i can choose the processor speed? don't really wanna set it high so i don't kill the battery.

Different kernels have different voltages and speed slots currently i am running at 1Ghz kernel from Chevy, but the 7 slots that i can select with the app setcpu are; 250mhz, 400mhz,550mhz(stock clock speed), 700mhz, 800mhz, 900mhz and 1ghz.
There are also different kernel voltages they are the stock voltage Medium, Low and Ultra Low(aka: ulv or ulow). These effect the power draw on the battery. Some phones dont support ulv kernels as the cpu will not run properly without a higher voltage. this is where trial and error comes in, and having a good backup.

When a phone is not compatible with a kernel voltage the most problem is booting up and getting stuck at the 'M' logo. If your phone has compatibility issues with the clock speed the most common issues are random reboots and freezes. With either of these issues you just have to boot into your recovery and try a different kernel.

Also after you root I recommend booting in to your recovery, either sprecovery or Clockwork Recovery and making a backup of the stock system before you make any changes.

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
oh alright thanks guys! i'll do try this when i have time this weekend. damn you finals! :(

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
thanks for the kernal info quicksilver. wait. so rooting doesn't accomplish anything by itself? is it like how jailbreaking on an iPhone only gets you Cydia?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We the community will be here to help if needed.:)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
You can overclock the stock kernel to 800MHz. Some ROMs ship with stock kernels that are stock and others ship with lower-voltage, higher-speed kernels.

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
awesome :) nice to know i'll have help from you guys :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
And if I could offer a suggestion, take a couple hours and read everything you can find before you void the warranty on a $500 phone. The Droid is nearly unbrickable, but it can and does happen if, say, you try to flash SBF while the battery is too low, or the cable comes undone. Flashing a ROM with too low a battery will possibly cause a boot loop. Etc. etc.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1000!! Read, read, read!!

And if I could offer a suggestion, take a couple hours and read everything you can find before you void the warranty on a $500 phone. The Droid is nearly unbrickable, but it can and does happen if, say, you try to flash SBF while the battery is too low, or the cable comes undone. Flashing a ROM with too low a battery will possibly cause a boot loop. Etc. etc.

DroidForums junkie!!

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

+1 very true.
I always flash roms on a fully charged battery.

wojtalsd

Reaction score
Agree with reading and also have the computer handy on the site to get your questions answered if you run into problems or preferably before you run into a problem! ;)

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
hey guys. i finally got wifi set up in my house! spent a day jailbreaking and downloading apps for my ipod touch. now its time to work on my Droid. gonna start reading guides again and looking into the roms.

i also got a question about micro sd cards. right now i've got an 8gb card. i'm pretty sure i'll run out of space real fast though, since my music library is already 3-4gb. if i got another card (gonna get 8gb or 16gb), would there be certain files i need to have on both cards for my rooted droid to function right?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
isoDUB

isoDUB

Reaction score
Agree with reading and also have the computer handy on the site to get your questions answered if you run into problems or preferably before you run into a problem! ;)

and of course i intend to read :) thats a personal must when i mod, even somethig as easy as jailbreaking an ipod touch. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Don't need anything on the SD card unless you're installing apps to it; which you will be doing with a D1.

Are you sure it's only an 8GB card? Stock D1s came with 16GB.