Just got a droid, have some Verizon questions . . .

siggy_freud

Reaction score
So my GF just got me a droid for xmas. I went with her. They were having an additional $100 rebate on it, so we got the phone + a car charger for $100. My old plan with Sprint doesn't expire until Jan 15th, so the rep told me he can delay activation until then which is what I did. He bypassed the activation screen for me on the phone and said I would be able to use it with wireless, but not as a phone until I had it activated after the 15th.

I just wanted to ask and be sure there aren't any hidden charger I should be worried about. I looked ove the contract and things seemed okay, but want to be prepared in anycase. I hear horror stories of people getting first bills/bills for 300+, and wanted to know what to expect. I could call the rep, who was nice, but wanted some background information first on what people see.

Thanks guys!

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I don't know what plan you got so it's hard to say whether charges will be "hidden" or not. A data plan ($30) is required for the Droid, everything else should be the normal Verizon packages.

Mojo

Reaction score
You will have a prorated bill, meaning that you will be billed for the day your phone activated thru the end of your billing cycle plus a full month. Activation fee (unless that was waived) taxes and sir charges. Nothing will be hidden.
When changing from one carrier to the next I highly recomend watching your minute usage. As mobile to mobile will be different as well as night and weekends.
Your Rep should have supplied you with a paper giving you a estimation of your first bill.

OP
S

siggy_freud

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am going with the 900 minutes, data package, 500 text messages. It looks like there is a $35 activation fee. I hate those because they always seem like BS 'tack on fees', but wasn't aware of it until I just looked at the first month bill now. The guy was nice, but didn't go over it with me other than verbally telling me what my monthly bill would be.

But if thats how things usually are, then okay I guess.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You should have just activated it and have duel carriers for a couple weeks, that's what I did. I had about 2.5 weeks til my AT&T contract expired and at the time I had a temporary number on my Droid. What I wanted was to keep my original number since it's been with me for a handful of years, so I just had two carriers. Droid was activated and everything.

intense

Reaction score
You should have just activated it and have duel carriers for a couple weeks, that's what I did. I had about 2.5 weeks til my AT&T contract expired and at the time I had a temporary number on my Droid. What I wanted was to keep my original number since it's been with me for a handful of years, so I just had two carriers. Droid was activated and everything.

Agreed, this is what I plan to do when I purchase a Droid.

Monstrosity

Reaction score
So my GF just got me a droid for xmas. I went with her. They were having an additional $100 rebate on it, so we got the phone + a car charger for $100. My old plan with Sprint doesn't expire until Jan 15th, so the rep told me he can delay activation until then which is what I did. He bypassed the activation screen for me on the phone and said I would be able to use it with wireless, but not as a phone until I had it activated after the 15th.

I just wanted to ask and be sure there aren't any hidden charger I should be worried about. I looked ove the contract and things seemed okay, but want to be prepared in anycase. I hear horror stories of people getting first bills/bills for 300+, and wanted to know what to expect. I could call the rep, who was nice, but wanted some background information first on what people see.

Thanks guys!
How did you get an extra $100 rebate?

OP
S

siggy_freud

Reaction score
I honestly have no idea. He originally offered 50 off the $200 price, and then I played that I was interested, but said that it was her money as it was a gift, and that I was waiting until later when she was ready to buy. He said that he knock off another $50, and throw in a car charger. The kicker is that instead of $100 off, we actually paid $200 and get a $100 visa card, which was fine with me as I can use it for lunches at work, or gas, or whatever.