Just dropped my Razr in my sink....

Androidatic

Reaction score
Wow that waterproof nano coating must work really good!! All that crap about the phone being strong is BS... pretty much all u can do is the rice thing then just let it dry and try not to power it on for awhile.. that sucks that had to happen... good luck... Or did they call it water resistant nano coating?
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Is this a serious post? It's water resistant, not water proof.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

kparks

Reaction score
It was always water resistant, never waterproof. That would be one HELL of a claim. Here's a video showing it:
[video=youtube;mzQUoJ-sIaY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQUoJ-sIaY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Also, the phone is pretty damn strong in other areas as evidenced by various other threads and people dropping it (myself included). Don't let one "drop it in the sink" post sway you so easily. It most certainly isn't BS though no phone is bulletproof :D

I firmly believe that the razr is no tougher than any other phone on the market.. there have been post about a 6 in drop cracking the screen and also post on 5 foot falls onto the screen and no damage and that's true with any phone.. my bolt fell out my pocket from a 6 foot ladder prolly a good 7 to 8 feet.. the back cover went flying one way the battery the other no damage at all!! And my buddy was texting on his bolt got off the couch dropped his phone to the wood floor and the screen shattered my point is all this talk about the phone being more durable is total BS the razr is a awesome phone but its no more "durable" than any other phone

kparks

Reaction score
Is this a serious post? It's water resistant, not water proof.

Did u read the end of the post??? u guys are missing my point and that is its all a gimmick the only thing kevlar on the whole phone is the battery cover how many of u break ur battery cover??? And the water coating also.. they say that to get people just to buy it thinking its tough and crap. When its only as durable as every other phone on the market.. I've used the razr quite a bit a I can def say its no more solid than my old droidx or my newer Tbolt...yea its a heck of a phone but will break just as easy as any other phone.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did u read the end of the post??? u guys are missing my point and that is its all a gimmick the only thing kevlar on the whole phone is the battery cover how many of u break ur battery cover??? And the water coating also.. they say that to get people just to buy it thinking its tough and crap. When its only as durable as every other phone on the market.. I've used the razr quite a bit a I can def say its no more solid than my old droidx or my newer Tbolt...yea its a heck of a phone but will break just as easy as any other phone.

Yea durability from drops... depending on how the phone hits it can either never get a scratch or crack or can scratch n crack on the first drop. Agree there. I dont think Moto ever claimed that it was indestructible. What the manufacture claims and what users claim sometimes is 2 different things. I actually think they used the same material on the DX1 battery cover. Its hard to scratch too. Scratch it, rub the scratch and its gone. So I kinda agree about the Kevlar.

The water...resistance...that Moto advertises.... So far in my experience its not a gimmick. I have a Droid X1 and Droid 1 that needs either a battery pull or reboot when it gets wet to stop it from spazzing out quickly...and thats just from a wet screen. If not I need to wait a few minutes. And sometimes a few minutes still doesnt help. My RAZR can sometimes work fine with the screen still wet. If its all a gimmick just pour water over other phones that arent listed as water resistance and see if they have the same result. I know I dont wanna find out the hard way with my DX1 and Droid 1. Since my DX1 is all but trash I might try that. Has a big crack in the corner of the screen and missing the material that covers the mouth piece on the front of the phone. That might not be a fair test...lol

If Moto ever advertised it as water proof and indestructible...that would be another story. They never said the glass wont break or the phone wont crack. And the only post in here that mentioned it being durable said its pretty damn strong and you saying its not any stronger than other phones on the market. No one in here actually said its tougher than other phones...Moto also has the Defy thats actually listed as water proof to a certain feet. **I think Moto actually got called out on that one, its now listed as water resistant, or it never was listed as water proof** (probably about the depth and being called water proof, dont really know) A few tests that held up for the Defy:

[video=youtube;ZYCbpS3zPcI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYCbpS3zPcI&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;MIaUC-gGATM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIaUC-gGATM[/video]

Heres an EVO under water for comparison.

[video=youtube;pTlkx0EH56w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTlkx0EH56w&feature=related[/video]

And another RAZR clip:

[video=youtube;WXufZyN9TFQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXufZyN9TFQ[/video]

Still...Moto only advertised the RAZR was water resistant. And they advertised Gorilla Glass as "defends the screen against scrapes and scratches." Not scratch, crack proof, unbreakable. Some ppl actually thought the entire back of the phone was Kevlar...its only the part with the design.

Morydees

Reaction score
I firmly believe that the razr is no tougher than any other phone on the market.. there have been post about a 6 in drop cracking the screen and also post on 5 foot falls onto the screen and no damage and that's true with any phone.. my bolt fell out my pocket from a 6 foot ladder prolly a good 7 to 8 feet.. the back cover went flying one way the battery the other no damage at all!! And my buddy was texting on his bolt got off the couch dropped his phone to the wood floor and the screen shattered my point is all this talk about the phone being more durable is total BS the razr is a awesome phone but its no more "durable" than any other phone

Once again, we have to be careful with anecdotal evidence. Obviously there are exceptions to rules and with phones there are dozens of variables in how one is dropped, lands, etc. So all companies can do is put as many "anti-break" features as possible into a phone to help sturdy it and I believe that the RAZR has done an above average job on that. Especially for a phone that should be delicate with how thin it is.

Even if we were to agree that it handles drops as good as "any other phone" then wouldn't the water-resistant measures alone put it above the "average durability" category?

kparks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kparks

Once again, we have to be careful with anecdotal evidence. Obviously there are exceptions to rules and with phones there are dozens of variables in how one is dropped, lands, etc. So all companies can do is put as many "anti-break" features as possible into a phone to help sturdy it and I believe that the RAZR has done an above average job on that. Especially for a phone that should be delicate with how thin it is. Even if we were to agree that it handles drops as good as "any other phone" then the water-resistant measures alone should put above the "average durability" phone, no?
I see ur arguement but there is no way to tell if it even does anything.. I just need proof of some things like the gorilla glass u can see what it does and u can see the strength in different plastic in phones and so on I havnt seen any proof of a kevlar battery cover doing anything and to be honest I think its absolutely useless. and I havnt seen where this watercoating does anything.

Morydees

Reaction score
I see ur arguement but there is no way to tell if it even does anything.. I just need proof of some things like the gorilla glass u can see what it does and u can see the strength in different plastic in phones and so on I havnt seen any proof of a kevlar battery cover doing anything and to be honest I think its absolutely useless. and I havnt seen where this watercoating does anything.

While I agree it's hard to judge the kevlar back cover, what is it going to take to convince you about the water resistance? Have you not watched the videos in this thread very clearly showing it works?

Here's another

And another
[video=youtube;CIRzAvG7UV4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIRzAvG7UV4[/video]

And an explanation
[video=youtube;-YMH0HmQ1No]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YMH0HmQ1No[/video]

kparks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kparks

While I agree it's hard to judge the kevlar back cover, what is it going to take to convince you about the water resistance? Have you not watched the videos in this thread very clearly showing it works?

Here's another

And another
[video=youtube;CIRzAvG7UV4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIRzAvG7UV4[/video]

And an explanation
[video=youtube;-YMH0HmQ1No]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YMH0HmQ1No[/video]

Nothing ill never believe it... NEVER.. lol jk .no I havnt watched it yet.. ill do it when I get home and post back it better not be nothing corney like them lightly sprinkling the razr with a hose or sumn lol..

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Once again, we have to be careful with anecdotal evidence. Obviously there are exceptions to rules and with phones there are dozens of variables in how one is dropped, lands, etc. So all companies can do is put as many "anti-break" features as possible into a phone to help sturdy it and I believe that the RAZR has done an above average job on that. Especially for a phone that should be delicate with how thin it is.

Even if we were to agree that it handles drops as good as "any other phone" then wouldn't the water-resistant measures alone put it above the "average durability" category?

You make a good point and I would have to agree. I will post some clips of my Droid X1 and Droid 1 with just a wet screen sometime in the near future. Might as well do an under the faucet test for all 3 phones too.

Morydees

Reaction score
Haha, you'll enjoy the videos once you get a chance to see them. I've owned quite a few phones in my day and I can tell you that none would have put up with the amounts of water dumped on them as the RAZR (and a few other resistant phones out recently) do. In fact, a beer killed my last phone....and many more were drank after in mourning of it :biggrin:

I'm just glad these companies are making good strides in more reliable phones...even if they are far from perfect.

kparks

Reaction score
You make a good point and I would have to agree. I will post some clips of my Droid X1 and Droid 1 with just a wet screen sometime in the near future. Might as well do an under the faucet test for all 3 phones too.

I like the good old fashion water bucket toss test lol ..

busab

Reaction score
Honestly I think any phone would with stand what they did in those videos. Especially the 2nd one.

Morydees

Reaction score
Honestly I think any phone would with stand what they did in those videos. Especially the 2nd one.

Yet again, more anecdotes/guesses :) If that's the case why aren't there a ton of water test videos on youtube for the Bionic, the Galaxy, etc? Sure a few other phones do offer liquid repelling (Defy, Thunderbolt comes to mind) but to think "most phones would be fine" is quite trusting, especially without any proof.

I guess there's really no convincing people this phone does a great job at avoiding damage compared to most so I'll just let what has posted stand and enjoy my RAZR.

Arodnum1

Reaction score
Yet again, more anecdotes/guesses :) If that's the case why aren't there a ton of water test videos on youtube for the Bionic, the Galaxy, etc? Sure a few other phones do offer liquid repelling (Defy, Thunderbolt comes to mind) but to think "most phones would be fine" is quite trusting, especially without any proof.

I guess there's really no convincing people this phone does a great job at avoiding damage compared to most so I'll just let what has posted stand and enjoy my RAZR.

In the defense of the bionic and other phones, they never claim to be made with water resistant coatings, its the same as someone asking why nobody tests a Toyota corolla for towing capacity, but they do a 1 ton Chevy, the razr is the corolla with a heavy duty suspension, if you want total water resistance go with the Casio

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

kparks

Reaction score

To be honest I agree those test were wack I have no problem doing them test on my Tbolt or old touch pro 2 that was literally the equivalent of rain.........the guy in the first vid... CRAZYNESS lol.