Just dropped my Droid X in my coffee!!!

Red Rock

Reaction score
I'm such an idiot.

I have had this phone since X-mas and just dropped the darn thing in my coffee!

The bottom 3rd had gotten wet, but unfortunately thats where the 4 very important keys are at.

I tried to re-start it, and got some weitrd screen with an exclamation point.

I took the battery out and plaed the battery cover back on the cell, then just rested the phone in a bowl of rice.

I read that the rice would suck up all of the wetness, (fingers crossed)!

I cant Friggen believe I did this!!!

I really hope it comes back to life.

Anyone else here ever have their phone get wet?
and if so, did your phone come back to life???

Last edited:

Big Cam

Reaction score
You're mistake was trying to start it up after it happened.

I dropped my Droid 1 in the toilet (clean). It was completely submerged and the screen even stayed on under water. I grabbed it out and took the battery out faster than you could think. I dried everything off thouroughly, with canned air, and many paper towels. Then After i was covinced it was dry, I let is sit for about 3 more hours.

Then I put the battery back in, not knowing if anything would woork, adn it came to life, adn works perfectly still, up until I sold it, not sure how it's doing now.

I hope for your sake it coems back too, but having started it back up, you may have fried it.

JRParsons

Reaction score
Do not turn it on. Take out the battery and place both on top of your Cable box. This is usually enough heat to dry it out without cooking it. The rice may also work, it does draw out moisture. Hopefully nothing has shorted out already. I dropped my old Touch Pro II in a glass of Iced tea about 4 months ago, I used it as an excuse to get a new Thunderbolt, but my nephew is using it now with no problems.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
Red Rock

Red Rock

Reaction score
You're mistake was trying to start it up after it happened.

I dropped my Droid 1 in the toilet (clean). It was completely submerged and the screen even stayed on under water. I grabbed it out and took the battery out faster than you could think. I dried everything off thouroughly, with canned air, and many paper towels. Then After i was covinced it was dry, I let is sit for about 3 more hours.

Then I put the battery back in, not knowing if anything would woork, adn it came to life, adn works perfectly still, up until I sold it, not sure how it's doing now.

I hope for your sake it coems back too, but having started it back up, you may have fried it.

I had no idea trying to start it back up would be bad.

Well, I will give it a great part of the day to dry out before I do anything else.

I think I will move it with the bowl of rice to the outside, just to maybe get a little bit of extra air flow.

God, I have so much stuff on there I would hate to lose it all...
pix, videos, Contacts, etc...

I should have visited here more often and figured out how to back up my files just in case this happened. :(

OP
Red Rock

Red Rock

Reaction score
Do not turn it on. Take out the battery and place both on top of your Cable box. This is usually enough heat to dry it out without cooking it. The rice may also work, it does draw out moisture. Hopefully nothing has shorted out already. I dropped my old Touch Pro II in a glass of Iced tea about 4 months ago, I used it as an excuse to get a new Thunderbolt, but my nephew is using it now with no problems.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Thx for your story and advice.

I am thinking of trying the bowl of rice outside for a few hours...

Great ending to both of your stories though!!!

Big Cam

Reaction score
Good News: Your contacts are saved to your google account. Sign into Gmail and click on Contacts, if you had sync turned on, on you X, all your contacts are there. Also IF you get a new phone, when you sign into your gmail account, all your contacts will automatically pull down to your new phone. (Gotta love android)

All your pics and videos are likely on your SD card, you should also take that out, dry it off and throw it in your computer and copy over the files, it's unlikely that your SD card got damaged.

Last edited:
OP
Red Rock

Red Rock

Reaction score
Good News: Your contacts are saved to your google account. Sign into Gmail and click on Contacts, if you had sync turned on, on you X, all your contacts are there. Also IF you get a new phone, when you sign into your gmail account, all your contacts will automatically pull down to your new phone. (Gotta love android)

All your pics and videos are likely on your SD card, you should also take that out, dry it off and throw it in your computer and copy over the files, it's unlikely that your SD card got damaged.

Thats awesome news!

I'll go grab my SD card out right now.

Thanks alot for the info.

OP
Red Rock

Red Rock

Reaction score
OK,

So I put the battery back in the phone late last night...thankfully it seemed to be working ok.

Turned it off and charged it thru the night.
Woke up and turned it on, and then there were a coupla weird problems I have never seen before...

The keyboard kept turning on, and the "Speak Now" Voice activated text thingy kept popping up.

That was for the first 5-10 minutes or so.

Then that problem went away and all seems well now!

whew!

Thx again for your help.:)

Dullawolf

Reaction score
My fiance dropped her x in the pooper a few months back. We pulled the battery and put the phone and battery in a bag of rice over night. In the morning and through most of the next day her phone was acting weird. After that is started working like a champ. To this day it still does.

Was a good scare for a while. She was all kinds of upset until the phone was back up and running.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
Red Rock

Red Rock

Reaction score
My fiance dropped her x in the pooper a few months back. We pulled the battery and put the phone and battery in a bag of rice over night. In the morning and through most of the next day her phone was acting weird. After that is started working like a champ. To this day it still does.

Was a good scare for a while. She was all kinds of upset until the phone was back up and running.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Great ending to your story!
Congrats!

yeah, mine was a bit weird last night also with that keyboard popping up a few times, and that voice rcognition "speak Now" screen popping up a few times also but so far toay, everything has been perfect!

Not one weird thing happening.

As for throwing the cell phone in the rice bowl to grab all the moisture out...That really does work!

I remember my son dropped his cell in the toilet a few years back - fully submerged andwe did the same thing and his came out perfect.

Well, these things are part of our every day life now and we take them for granted so I just have to learn to treat it a little better and not put it in that close to danger again.

Now If I could only learn how to play with this awesome video camera, do some editing, and so on, I will be the happiest droid X customer in the world! (That will be my next thread) :)

Thx again everyone.

ras0787

Reaction score
Glad your phone is still working.

When I first saw the subject of this thread I thought it was going to be a joke lol. I thought that when I clicked on it the OP was going to say "And it turned into a Charge!" Just the way it was worded I guess lmao. :p