Just bought my Droid... excited!

s54

Reaction score
I purchased the phone via Wirefly. My contract expired and Verizon kept sending me emails on how I'm eligible for an upgrade. They offered the Droid for $199. Then I went to wirefly and it turns out that I can get it for $50. Weird. Anyway, it should be here on Thursday.

I would also like to point out that I'm a previous iPhone 3G owner. In fact, I owned three iPhones 3G. All were replaced within a 6-month period. 3G was non-existent, even though I live in Chicago where, according to AT&T, my 3G experience should be perfect. Long story short, I couldn't take it anymore. The iPhone use to piss me off beyond belief. Aside from countless dropped calls (AT&T's fault), the damn phone would lock up or freeze on me all the time. No amount of rebooting or resets helped. Half the time, I wasn't able to pick up a call. Needless to say, I broke my contract with AT&T and got slapped with a $175 termination fee. But I came out on top anyway. I sold the iPhone on eBay for roughly $450. When all was said and done, I ended up getting back the $200 that I paid for the phone.

For the past two years with Verizon I had the little Motorola w755. So, I'm happy and excited to give the Droid a try. It has great reviews and looks like a solid piece. I hope that it was worth waiting for. :)

Last edited:

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Congrats. Being a previous iphone owner I can tell you that you won't regret it once you get used to the droid!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
"welcome" to the Droid Forums, glad you got a good deal on your phone. Not to make you paranoid or anything did this company offer you any type of warranty on the phone? You may also want to look into getting insurance on it as well through Assurion.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
"welcome" to the Droid Forums, glad you got a good deal on your phone. Not to make you paranoid or anything did this company offer you any type of warranty on the phone? You may also want to look into getting insurance on it as well through Assurion.

Firstly, welcome to forum!!! You're in the right place.

I'd take Hookbill's advice regarding the insurance. I have a very strong feeling that these sites that sell the Droid for under $100 are actually selling "refurbished" phones. But that should be stated somewhere on the site, or during the "checkout" process. In fact, they have to inform you if that is the case.

EDIT: That may have come off as a serious warning. Not my intention, I don't mean to strike fear in your heart. Even a refurbished Droid would still be a great phone. Happy Droiding. :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Last edited:
OP
S

s54

Reaction score
Hey, np guys.

Wirefly is a very legitimate website. I bought phones from them in the past. They do not sell refurbished. This is a brand new phone. Amazon wireless has it for the same price today; $50. They also sell brand new Droids.

Actually, when you go through the checkout process, you are really buying the phones through Verizon, just at a different price. It's weird how it works. Both Amazon and Wirefly make you provide your Verizon PIN and account number for verification purposes. You are selecting a plan during checkout and a contract extension directly through Verizon. It's as though they are a Verizon affiliate.

And yes, I will look into some insurance options. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: OH and yes, the company offered multiple insurance options throughout the checkout process. I didn't opt for any at the time, but I may. Also lots of accessories to choose from.

Here is the link in case anyone is interested: http://www.wirefly.com/eCommerce/SpecialOffer.aspx?cid=21427_6d889bf289794efdbacfe477bd924730

Last edited:

fis

Reaction score
I'll second that. Have posted about Wirefly before. I'm a long-time customer. They are just an authorized Verizon agent. The phones are brand new from Verizon. They just subsidize the price. They don't make money on the phones. They make money on commissions from Verizon. I think a lot of people who paid $299 for their phones don't want to believe that they could have gotten the exact same thing for hundreds less. BTW they are now in the Bing cashback program, so if you search Bing for Wirefly before buying, you get another $50 from Microsoft after the phone is activated.