just bought my d4 how do i root it lol

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I just bought my droid 4 and will get it either either tonight or on sat.. anyone know of the names of latest rooting app and busybox installer? i have to root it to get those crap vzw apps off and install setcpu.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
SetCPU doesn't do anything for a dual core processor at this time.

And root hasn't been established yet. If it's anything like the D3/Bionic was, could be weeks.

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

quizzard

Reaction score
SetCPU doesn't do anything for a dual core processor at this time.

And root hasn't been established yet. If it's anything like the D3/Bionic was, could be weeks.

Bionic had root a one click root from day 1 of release, IIRC.

I am going out to Best Buy to pick up the D4 today for the wife. When the next D4 comes out I'll pick it up for myself.

Reaction score
Yea but the bionic has been a long a waited device that's why i bet it had the root from day one. The droid 4 hasn't give it a few days i bet a root will be out for it. So id just wait a few days.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

quizzard

Reaction score
I wonder if you can use the Razr root on the D4? Specs wise they are identical... minus the keyboard...

Oh well... all in good time.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Confirmed! No current methods work to root the D4.

The reason the Bionic had root was because of the D3 btw.

OP
myfishbear

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
well wen i get it on monday ill try to root it myself using adb and see what happens. i was also told there was no root for the lg ally when it came out along with the d2g and had no problem. not using one click apps either... im very familiar with the android subsystem and all i was lookin 4 were names of current rooting apps cuz i know my older root apps are probably outdated.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Yes, root works. I was anxious for this so I could use titanium backup to freeze the bloat. Its been working geat for the last 36 hours.

me_droid

Reaction score
Unroot?

Looked through some of the other threads and yes there are some instructions for unrooting.

mattlgroff's Droid 4 utility pre-release for windows has both root and unroot options:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-hacks/197985-droid-4-utility-pre-release-windows.html

kbeefy provides instructions from Dan to unroot with adb:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-hacks/198084-ti-restore-unroot.html

Judging from the reports of bricked devices coming in it may be prudent for those like me, who don't understand rooting and flashing in detail, to take this slowly - maybe root but not uninstall or delete anything until there is a recovery sbf. Give the devs and the ones who really know what they're doing a chance to work with the D4 a while (and donate to support their efforts) before we get into backups and flashing, etc.

It's only been 5 days since this thing was released!

Last edited: