Just bought a Droid, Droid 2 upgrade within 30 days?

Saraph

Reaction score
I just recently upgraded my phone and service to the Droid on July 27th and was wondering... since the Droid 2 is coming out and it is within 30 days can't I just go to the store and upgrade to the Droid 2? I'm sure they will phase out the original Droid and price the Droid 2 around the same price as the Droid 1 keeping the Droid X $50 more then the Droid. If a difference does come about, my decision would then be more towards the Droid X. I just wish I could avoid that restocking fee... Any thoughts?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just recently upgraded my phone and service to the Droid on July 27th and was wondering... since the Droid 2 is coming out and it is within 30 days can't I just go to the store and upgrade to the Droid 2? I'm sure they will phase out the original Droid and price the Droid 2 around the same price as the Droid 1 keeping the Droid X $50 more then the Droid. If a difference does come about, my decision would then be more towards the Droid X. I just wish I could avoid that restocking fee... Any thoughts?
Droid 2 really coming that soon? Wow, didn't realize.

RE: restocking fee, I've been told by several people that if you are a good customer, put up a stink and they'll waive it. Actually, if I understand correctly: there IS NO restocking fee if you bring your first phone back in 30 days (i.e., just do a straight refund). The charge comes if you decide to buy a replacement phone in that time period. In other words, the policy is to discourage "trial" buys. But maybe I've got it wrong.

-Matt

OP
S

Saraph

Reaction score
Droid 2 really coming that soon? Wow, didn't realize.

RE: restocking fee, I've been told by several people that if you are a good customer, put up a stink and they'll waive it. Actually, if I understand correctly: there IS NO restocking fee if you bring your first phone back in 30 days (i.e., just do a straight refund). The charge comes if you decide to buy a replacement phone in that time period. In other words, the policy is to discourage "trial" buys. But maybe I've got it wrong.

-Matt

Yeah, that's what I've been told. That if I went back to get the Droid X I would have to pay a restocking fee. Although, 2 years ago I bought a phone and it was horrible. Crashed all the time and the interface, though cool "looking" was barely functional. I took that phone back after 2 weeks and demanded a different phone and I didn't have to pay a restocking fee. Either they were having problems with the model and were told not to ask for a restocking fee or my attitude was the reason why I didn't have to pay.

I feel in the dark right now though, seeing as August 12th is the rumored launch date and I don't know the price or if they would even go for it. I know I can get the X for $50 more, but I really love this phone and the physical keyboard. The keyboard on the Droid 2 looks like it solved almost all the problems I'm currently having with the Droid 1 and the 1ghz processor would be a big help for when I root my phone and start tinkering around with things.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well, fwiw my short answer is I've had the D1 since December. If I could swap out right now I'd go for the DX. I love the physical keyboard too, but after playing with the DX, the virtual keyboard is pretty usable. I like the better specs (esp. screen size and 720p video) and if it's true that battery life is decent, I'd go for it.

But note that I'm locked in until next year, so I'll get a phone next summer that KICKS THE ASS out of anything available in 2010! :icon_ banana:

Sorry for gloating. I'm just jealous you might get a DX.

-Matt

PS The reason you didn't get the restocking fee before was that it's a relatively new policy. Less than a year old, I believe.

OP
S

Saraph

Reaction score
Well, fwiw my short answer is I've had the D1 since December. If I could swap out right now I'd go for the DX. I love the physical keyboard too, but after playing with the DX, the virtual keyboard is pretty usable. I like the better specs (esp. screen size and 720p video) and if it's true that battery life is decent, I'd go for it.

But note that I'm locked in until next year, so I'll get a phone next summer that KICKS THE ASS out of anything available in 2010! :icon_ banana:

-Matt

PS The reason you didn't get the restocking fee before was that it's a relatively new policy. Less than a year old, I believe.

I think I just found my argument for the sales rep. On my way to a friends house my bluetooth wouldn't operate at all unless I did a solid restart. Hardware not operating normally is usually a good excuse to get a replacement within 30 days without a restocking fee, correct?

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

-Matt

I think I just found my argument for the sales rep. On my way to a friends house my bluetooth wouldn't operate at all unless I did a solid restart. Hardware not operating normally is usually a good excuse to get a replacement within 30 days without a restocking fee, correct?

*Puts on devil's advocate hat*

(Voice of sales rep) "OK, please show me that bug again...?"

(Voice of store manager) "I'm sorry. We can only offer you a refund, or a refurbished phone at this point."

*Takes off hat*

Either way, I'd come ready to be polite but firm: defective phone, replace with X (or whichever), NO restocking fee..

-Matt

OP
S

Saraph

Reaction score
I read that I can return the phone for a refund and then wait just 4 days for the 2 year upgrade to come back to me thus avoiding the restocking fee, is this true?

OP
S

Saraph

Reaction score
Phone is on its way back to the Verizon warehouse. Sales rep told me today that I could just send it back and wait until my new every 2 discount resets. He said it'll be like I never even had the Droid to begin with. Awesome deal, Droid 2 here we come!