Just an idea

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by TheHow7zer, Jan 23, 2011.

1. TheHow7zer

TheHow7zer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was reading an article on engadget where people were saying that although smartphones are significantly more powerful than other systems like the ds or psp, they are still pretty crappy to play games on because they are running many other services (phone, 3g, OS, etc)

So I was wondering if it would be possible to create an app (or a rom with the feature built in) that would be able to save state and close all other services in order to get the most processing power.

Just an idea that I thought would be awesome to incorporate into some of our best friends - I mean droids... :p

2. yamaha83

yamaha83 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    couldn't you just use an app killer and airplane more to do this?

3. TheHow7zer

TheHow7zer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    no, what I mean is that is would completely shut off everything except whatever game was running. Even if you use the task killer, the os and many other services are still running and stealing precious ram and processing power

All airplane mode does is turn off the wireless signals.

4. sarreq

sarreq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you couldn't go that far, you need the OS and at least a few services running underneath for a game to be able to run.

what I think you may be suggesting is for games to be able to load the way they do on a PSP, which you would need support built into Android to do. PSP (and DS) games are able to fully unload the primary OS because they load their own mini-OS, one that uses the drivers built into the primary OS. they're basically multi-booting, in a tricky way.

5. TheHow7zer

TheHow7zer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well yeah, but I mean all the fancy stuff like the home screen, gui, and such

6. sarreq

sarreq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the homescreen will unload if there's not enough memory, anyway. if you don't have the GUI, the game won't work. as for the "and such", apps will unload as memory is needed, most services suspend or unload if they're unneeded, and anything lower level than that are essential to a game running.

read my previous edit

edit-over-9000?: I should say this, I don't think
    it's completely not possible, but I don't think it's possible without support for it built into Android first

7. TheHow7zer

TheHow7zer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I just thought it would be interesting to see if something similar would be possible on a custom rom or app.

I never said I was an expert on the subject. :p
    I was just hoping that if it was even slightly possible that it might give someone an idea.