Just added this to the family stable

km04

Reaction score
My wife just upgraded to the Droid3 a couple weeks ago. While she likes it, she thinks it is waaayyy too much phone for her. I have messed with it a bit and it seems like a solid phone. it takes a little getting used to the differences between it and my Thunderbolt but still a pretty decent phone. I was adding her to the wifi at home and noticed she had over 11GB of space left on the phone, I thought that was pretty sweet. At just a glance it looked like internal space and not an SD card(since I didn't add one to the phone, can't remember if it came with one but I think it didn't).

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Yep the D3 has 16gGB of internal storage. 2GB of that for apps, then you can add up to a 32GB sdcard on top of it. Plenty of room.

I've had mine for almost a month and love it.

end of line...

dsimmelink

Reaction score
Yep the D3 has 16gGB of internal storage. 2GB of that for apps, then you can add up to a 32GB sdcard on top of it. Plenty of room.

end of line...

Woah.. only TWO gigs are available for apps? What is the other 14 for then???

OP
K

km04

Reaction score

end of line...

the other 14 are available to you for use.

dsimmelink

Reaction score

end of line...

Oh I guess I misinterpreted that then.. so 2 gigs are reserved for OS and what not? And the other 14 are available for apps, txts, etc?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com

Oh I guess I misinterpreted that then.. so 2 gigs are reserved for OS and what not? And the other 14 are available for apps, txts, etc?

No, 2 GB is for apps, the other is for you to store pictures, songs, audio, where apps store their data (game level info, etc...), download files to, etc...acting like an sdcard (and mounted as such to the system).

dsimmelink

Reaction score

No, 2 GB is for apps, the other is for you to store pictures, songs, audio, where apps store their data (game level info, etc...), download files to, etc...acting like an sdcard (and mounted as such to the system).

Oh ok, gotcha and thanks for the clarification. Well I guess it's not bad as long as the additional app data will go to the other 14. I was just hoping to have the whole 16 for app installs (envisioning the potential of huge installs one day for some apps) as I will be keeping all my media on SD anyways. But still I'm sure I will be good to go for this next 2 years go around with my D3.

Thanks again!

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Considering the original Droid only had 256 MEG for apps, 2 GIG is probably enough for most...plus there is always the Move to SD (or Media as it's called on the D3).

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
Considering the original Droid only had 256 MEG for apps, 2 GIG is probably enough for most...plus there is always the Move to SD (or Media as it's called on the D3).

Yea depending on what you plan to put on your phone, most apps should be below 25 MB. Even if you average 25 MB an app which is probably difficult to do, that's still 80 apps.

I have everything I need and probably want on my phone and my 4 highest apps are 75MB, 28MB, 12MB, and 11MB. Everything else is under 10 MB. I've only used 413 MB.

dsimmelink

Reaction score

Interesting, so does it differentiate between an ACTUAL micro SD card inserted into the phone vs the partitioned 14gb it sets aside for media?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com

Interesting, so does it differentiate between an ACTUAL micro SD card inserted into the phone vs the partitioned 14gb it sets aside for media?

Yes, internal storage is 2 GB /data (for apps) and the rest as /SDCARD.

External storage (insert an SDCARD) is mounted as /SD-EXT

dsimmelink

Reaction score

Yes, internal storage is 2 GB /data (for apps) and the rest as /SDCARD.

External storage (insert an SDCARD) is mounted as /SD-EXT

Wow, ok. So in the settings/applications where some apps give you the option to "move to SD" (or "Media" apparently?) do you actually choose which one to move it to or is it preset already to one or the other?

dsimmelink

Reaction score
No...it will be moved to /SDCARD which is the internal storage.

OK well on that note I will have no qualms automatically having every app set to "send to SD" as it would still be on internal memory anyways! Thanks for all the info. Will make the transition to my new D3 all the easier when it arrives TOMORROW!