Just a quick charging question

B-Lock

Reaction score
hey everyone I am new to the site and had a quick question about the chargers. I recently read in one of your forums but couldn't find it again. I have the wall charger that came with my Motorol Droid and another that came with my dare that I recently upgraded.

My question is will all micro usb chargers work on the droid. In other words even if it doesn't have the exact same specs but when you plug it in it charges. ( slowly ) Is this ok to use? I am also using a car charger that was bought at best buy and it seems to take a little longer to charge than others and when I take it off the charger and begin to use it doesn't seem to stay at 100% for long drops right down to 90%

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I have used the following to charge my Droid:

850 mA charger that came with the Droid
800 mA Verizon generic micro USB charger
550 mA Motorola headset charger
Computer USB port using monoprice.com micro USB cable

Based on this, I would think that any micro USB charger would work as long as the voltage meets the USB standard, which I think is 4.75 to 5.25 volts. Of course, the 550 mA charger took longer to charge the Droid and the USB port took nearly twice as long as the top 2 chargers.

OP
B-Lock

B-Lock

Reaction score
Thank you so much for getting back to me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to damage the battery or my Droid. I have the 550ma motorola blue toothe headset charger that I had been using until I notice the difference in them.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Thank you so much for getting back to me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to damage the battery or my Droid. I have the 550ma motorola blue toothe headset charger that I had been using until I notice the difference in them.

I normally use the 2 higher mA ones, but I have used the 550 mA one twice just to try it. They are all 5.0 V, so no problem. I have 3 of those 550 mA ones, as we have 3 Moto headsets. I have also just gotten a Zagg Sparq, but have not had a chance to try it yet.

Silver Member
Reaction score
just an fyi, people have reported weird issues with the capacitive screen when using non OEM wall and car chargers with their DROID.

the OEM charger is 850mAh. in order to get a clean charge, i would recommend sticking with OEM.

the micro USB cable, however, can come from pretty much anywhere.

Last edited:

Guchi

Reaction score
just an fyi, people have reported weird issues with the capacitive screen when using non OEM wall and car chargers with their DROID.

the OEM charger is 1100mAh. in order to get a clean charge, i would recommend sticking with OEM.

my oem carger is 850mah

Silver Member
Reaction score
shut your face, i've been lying this whole time. it is 850mah. damn.

Silver Member
Reaction score
g60077833g6.gif

TheOldFart

Reaction score

the OEM charger is 850mAh. in order to get a clean charge, i would recommend sticking with OEM.

The Motorola Droid User Guide says to use a Motorola branded charger. It does not say to use only the charger that came with the phone. Any Motorola branded charger is a 5.0 V charger, so any Motorola branded charger is fine.

The user guide tells how to transfer data using a USB port. Since the phone is being charged while connected to the USB port, it is obviously fine to charge from a USB port. If you think it is not then you should never connect your Droid to a USB port to either transfer data or charge.

Verizon sells their generic micro USB charger for the Droid. It is a 5.0 V, 800 mA charger and will not damage the Droid.

If some charges are damaging Droids then it is because someone is buying some cheap Chinese charger without proper voltage control and it has an output voltage above the maximum 5.25 V USB standard.

the5ilenced

Reaction score
ive not had to much success with other motorola branded chargers. For example, i plugged my droid into another motorola phone charger and then was unable to get my phone unlocked. The touch screen wouldn't recognize my finger touching it, or when it did it would be so off from the path i traced i couldn't get my phone unlocked.
The same screen problem would occur when i would try texting while plugged into the non oem charger...

TheOldFart

Reaction score
ive not had to much success with other motorola branded chargers. For example, i plugged my droid into another motorola phone charger and then was unable to get my phone unlocked. The touch screen wouldn't recognize my finger touching it, or when it did it would be so off from the path i traced i couldn't get my phone unlocked.
The same screen problem would occur when i would try texting while plugged into the non oem charger...

My guess is that it is unrelated to the Motorola charger that you were using. Was it a 5 V charger or some older Motorola charger that is above 5.25 V? I don't know if such a Motorola charger exists. I have had no problems using any of the 4 charging methods that I listed and use the 800 mA Verizon charger most of the time. The thing that I have found with the Droid is to plug the charging cable into the phone first and then plug in the charger. When I tried to plug the cable into the phone last it did not initiate a charge a couple of times, but there was no damage to the phone. I have also never had any problem swapping chargers between all my other electronics devices, as long as the charger voltage is correct for the device, which is normally 5.0 V.

Oh, and by the way guys, chargers are rated in mA, not mAh. Battery capacity is in mAh.