Just a little clarification please

hunt587

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently got a Droid 2 global and heard about the concept of "rooting". I just got into all this stuff so I need some help understanding whats up. I get rooting and what roms are, but the other terms are not so clearly defined

ok after reading http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...root-custom-recovery-sim-unlock-tutorial.html

I have a few questions,

1. On that post, why would I need the Droid 2 bootstrap?

2. What the hell is the purpose of this godly SBF file thing? Why would I install it, what could I do with it, just really what purpose does it serve? It sounds useful but I don't know how...

3. How would I install those apps available on the internet like the easy tether? Like how can I transfer the file from my PC to my Droid?

4. Sorry but I am a cell noob in general, but what kind of stuff can I do to my SIM? I don't understand exactly what getting the code could do.

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:

IMRoMuLuS

Reaction score
I personally can't answer ALL your questions. I can only explain that D2 Bootstrapper is necessary to install a ROM and the SBF is required to put a proper Kernel (I think) to accept a ROM as well. Other people will come along within the next day to help you.

But all the FILES you would need are in this link, still look in the proper Droid 2 and Droid 2 Global forums to access specific guides. Don't use Fission 2.5.7! Fission 2.4.3 is the only properly working ROM for the Droid 2 Global (D2G).

These are the files you will need.

Fission 2.4.3 for Droid 2 Global.zip

Reaction score
1. The bootstrap allows you to make nandroid backups of your phone. Essentially, a save state for you to revert to, in the event of a problem down the road.

2. The SBF is not ungodly... It is the elixir of the modding community. It's essentially the clone file that's put onto each D2G at the factory. With that file and RSDLite 4.9 (and the proper drivers), you can take a bricked phone (From flashing custom ROMs, doing developer stuff, etc etc) and turn it into a like new D2G in under an hour. It's a wonderful thing. I've done it several times already.

3. You don't download the file on your PC, you go to the market on your droid and download them. They'll download and install automatically, and be available in your app drawer. Alternatively , you can use appbrain like I do. It lets you search apps on your pc (with a much better interface than the google market) and just click install, and you then sync your phone, and it downloads/installs your choices. I find it useful. If you reset your phone, it even downloads all your apps for you agian.

4. I have no idea.

silver6054

Reaction score
4. Sorry but I am a cell noob in general, but what kind of stuff can I do to my SIM? I don't understand exactly what getting the code could do.

Thanks in advanced!

If by code, you mean the SIM unlock code, this doesn't do anything to the SIM itself, rather it allows to replace the Vodafone SIM that comes with the phone with another of your choice. Without this code, the phone will not function (in GSM mode) with another SIM.

So why would you want another SIM? If you travel outside the US, calls made with other Sims can be much cheaper (in my case going from $1.29 per minute to 6 cents per minute for a call from the UK to the US) If you don't go abroad, or don't make calls when you do, don't worry about unlocking....

Note that even unlocked, you can't currently use a AT&T or t-mobile SIM in the phone in the US

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
H

hunt587

Reaction score
thanks you guys, I have been slowly researching all night, made mistakes, learned from them haha.

So now I got rooted, installed, sooo now I don't know where to begin to do next. What all have I unlocked with this? I got the teather app (fantastic! I was pissed when I saw they were gonna charge me for making my phone a hotspot!) what else is recommended? I just don't know where to start!

I put Fission on it, and there were two options which confused me, the update to 2.4.3 or whatev and 2.4.3 upgrade only? Anyone know the difference?

PS thanks for the help with the SIM info, I'm actually going to be traveling to Oxford over the spring break, I'll have to do more research on that!

trook

Reaction score
The upgrade only is if your already running a lower version of fission. If your installing fission for the first time you want the full 2.4.3.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App