Just a few questions before rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dcb1101, Sep 12, 2010.

1. dcb1101

dcb1101 New Member

1) Have have found the following forum with instructions for rooting (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html)
    I plan in following these directions but im not sure if I have a "Droid 1" (Dumb questions, I know). I have a "Motorola Droid" its not an X or incredible, etc, just a Droid. Is this the same as a Droid 1?

2) I have not previously tried to root it but I have installed the leaved version of 2.2. Does this matter?

3) What information will I loose off the phone and not be able to recover once I have rooted it and installed a new rom?

Thank you all for your time
  2. skylordusa1

skylordusa1 New Member

Hello DCB,

Welcome to the forum. As for your questions 1: yeah the Motorola Droid is the same phone as the Droid 1 so that thread will work perfect for you. 2: Also that thread will work fine for your leaked version of the 2.2.
    3: By following the guide in that thread you will not lose any information. The only thing you are going to do is replace the stock boot recovery on your phone with sp recovery. And then root your phone. Thats it no information will be lost. SP recovery will allow you to make backups of your phones settings so incase you have problem when installing a custom rom you can just restore your backup and go back to your old settings.
    So I would suggest following the guide to get sp recovery and root access. Then once that is done you can go into sp recovery and make a backup of your current settings. Once that is done then you can now mess around with installing the custom roms to see if you can find one you like. I suggest the Liquid roms link below. When installing roms you are going to have to do a wipe data/factory reset and a wipe cache to get a clean install of the rom. When doing this you will lose data like text messages you have on your phone or app data (settings you have changed or added within the apps. But you can download a app from the market called Titanium Backup which will allow you to do a backup of app data before you install a new rom. This way when you get your new rom installed and boot your phone up. Your google account/market will restore all your apps on your phone by it self. Then you can use titanium back to restore the data for the apps if needed. It may sound hard/complicated but you will see what I am talking about once you get started. Its actually really easy once you start doing it. Just remember to make backups cause they are your friend and can always help. Also dont hesitate to ask questions on here cause there are a ton of smart and helpful people. Good luck.

Liquid Roms http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liquid/
  3. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

another link to help you learn what ur doing is link #2 in my sig