Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To apply ota.zips

step 1: make sure you have the latest adb
Step 2: Download the correct image for your device.
Step 3: Make sure in settings you have developer options on and enable USB debugging
Step 4: Plug in cord to computer and type (adb devices) and watch for your device number to pop up
Step 5: Type: adb reboot recovery
Step 6: press and hold Power button first then volume up (or some devices Volume up first then Power)
Step 7: select "apply update through USB"
Step 8 (optional): If you find yourselves getting an error message (device not connected) when trying to adb sideload and you have the latest drivers and adb. Try unplugging and replugging your phone for this step.
Step 9: adb sideload <file name> ...I personally just drag and drop the file.
Step 10 (optional): I will normally wipe the cache after but it is not required.
Step 11: reboot and enjoy.

Reactions: CJM
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
7bf03973d00199aa12ed63a0da73e90e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Nice write up. Always good to be protected as possible, updating now.

doniago

Reaction score
To apply ota.zips

step 1: make sure you have the latest adb
Step 2: Download the correct image for your device.
Step 3: Make sure in settings you have developer options on and enable USB debugging
Step 4: Plug in cord to computer and type (adb devices) and watch for your device number to pop up
Step 5: Type: adb reboot recovery
Step 6: press and hold Power button first then volume up (or some devices Volume up first then Power)
Step 7: select "apply update through USB"
Step 8 (optional): If you find yourselves getting an error message (device not connected) when trying to adb sideload and you have the latest drivers and adb. Try unplugging and replugging your phone for this step.
Step 9: adb sideload <file name> ...I personally just drag and drop the file.
Step 10 (optional): I will normally wipe the cache after but it is not required.
Step 11: reboot and enjoy.

Does this procedure clear data? I'm assuming you would have said so if it did, but we all know the dangers of making assumptions...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, as long as you do not click on the wipe data option instead of wipe cache. The ota.zip is basically like getting an ota from Google or carrier. You don't have to have an unlocked bootloader either.

JDH

Reaction score
When I saw the article about the June critical security updates I checked my turbo to see it it was available, not only was it not but my phone's latest security update was April 1.
Verizon is really on the ball.
Next phone will be Nexus

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow. I really hope Google actually step up and release the carriers and manufacturers update rankings.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

doniago

Reaction score
No, as long as you do not click on the wipe data option instead of wipe cache. The ota.zip is basically like getting an ota from Google or carrier. You don't have to have an unlocked bootloader either.

Thanks! Worked like a charm, even though I'm rooted. I sideloaded SuperSu immediately afterward just to be safe.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
So weird side-effect of me doing this, at least I think this is to blame. My Amazon Delivery app I use as an Amazon Flex driver won't load anymore. It says that my phone is rooted, and their app won't run on rooted devices. I know it worked before side-loading the June update, and now nothing. Going to try and reach out to the Flex support folks.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So weird side-effect of me doing this, at least I think this is to blame. My Amazon Delivery app I use as an Amazon Flex driver won't load anymore. It says that my phone is rooted, and their app won't run on rooted devices. I know it worked before side-loading the June update, and now nothing. Going to try and reach out to the Flex support folks.

Weird. I started to ask if you sure you were rooted until I read the name. You switching avatars on me had me thinking you were a noob for a second. But I then realized that you been around the block long enough to know the difference between a rooted and a stock device.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah, unless my wife was bored one night while I was sleeping. I verified with Root Checker to make sure, and I am indeed not rooted. Bootloader is locked, I even turned off USB Debugging, still no joy. Answer from their support team was to remove and re-install the app, real helpful, I'll do that and see if it helps.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Have you tried installing may update again?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Reinstalling the Amazon Delivery app seems to have worked. Go figure. :)

Good thing I saved the APK on my Drive, they don't publish to the Play Store and you have to attend virtual training sessions and prove you are a driver to get the download.

Guess they don't want people easily stealing their IP.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Reinstalling the Amazon Delivery app seems to have worked. Go figure. :)

Good thing I saved the APK on my Drive, they don't publish to the Play Store and you have to attend virtual training sessions and prove you are a driver to get the download.

Guess they don't want people easily stealing their IP.

Maybe you ought to open a thread on this forum dedicated to fellow Amazon employees using android. I am sure there are others who may have ran into issues. The awesome thing about forums and blogs is that others may have had a similar issue and posted the solution. Heck it was how I found 90% of the solutions to my problems.