Juice defender/ultimate juice - Does it actually work?

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
So I have been running into a lot of people that use this app to try and save battery but I was wondering what people's experiences with this app are. Good or bad? Is it one of those false positives like a task killer?

Sent from my Droid

OP
jlaidlaw

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
NO! JD is fluff, and so is TK's....a good OS can't be beat:)
That's what I thought... just a false positive people get in their heads after hearing it works for other people.

Sent from my Droid

djrakun

Reaction score
Jd is a placebo. The free profile does nothing for battery life, but does interrupt your data apps and cause your 3g to go out unnecesarily, at least in my experience. It should be avoided

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
tried it for 2 days...it makes you think that youre battery is being saved by reporting "X 2.9%!!!!!" but in reality it did nothing...good placebo effect though.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Jd is a placebo. The free profile does nothing for battery life, but does interrupt your data apps and cause your 3g to go out unnecesarily, at least in my experience. It should be avoided

That was my experience also. Removed it after a day of trouble with my unit. Removing it brought my unit back to it's original rock solid status.

dbmorris

Reaction score
Wow, totally different for me. Mine is rooted, 2.2, running Cyanogenmod 6. Battery would last from about 0730 to 6p everyday, then recharge or it was pretty much dead, if I used it alot i would charge it during lunch as well. Running JD (I have the paid version now but the unpaid did pretty well as well) it now goes easily to 11 at night and is usually at around 40% by then, using it the same as before, same apps etc. Yes it shuts off data, when not in use and it does take some fiddling to get it setup with the bizarre UI but it worked for me. I was getting frustrated by the short battery life but it took care of it. My brother tried it and didn't really like what it did with wifi, got stuck sometimes, but it was a small tradeoff for me.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haven't used it. Haven't seen the need. I want LESS stuff running in the background all the time. I want data on all the time, etc. and don't need an app messing with my phone. No thank you.

dmo580

Reaction score
Actually it's not that bad. Think of it this way. If you turn off the APN While your screen is off which JD can do, you will save a lot of battery... especially if you're pulling incessant emails all day long.

I imagine it this way. On a work day even if I don't touch my phone, pushing email kills battery. On a weekend I can check my phone in the afternoon with barely any use and maybe 10-20% will wear off only. That's huge compared to like 30-40%.

Shutting off an APN while your screen is off will save you enormous battery. Apps like these should be setup to use minimal battery life. These just run in the background just like your email app, gmail app, text messaging app, launcher pro, gmail notifier, missed call app etc etc. It should use no more than 2% of your battery life or whatever.

searayman

Reaction score
its actually an amazing app. I saw huge gains in battery life with it. The only reason why I do not use it is because google voice text messages come in over 3g while normal texts dont. So with JD is runnign and it shuts off 3g you still get texts but if you use google voice then you dont cause its 3g

ao557

Reaction score
In my opinion, it works. I have a thunderbolt and noticed that there is a power save mode built into the cell, so I turned jd off. I was charging my phone via a laptop usb connection with a number of apps running and I noticed that after 30 minutes, I was actually losing juice. I turned jd on and noted that the phone started charging.

Rento

Reaction score
The Gingerbread supportive JD has lost A LOT of features that were once free... You have to pay like $1.25 for those past features now...

I just use Green Power Free, works a lot better.

LOUISSSSS

Reaction score
just installed it, but dont like it because it kills my 4g/3g which means no gchat on my droid... wth is that? i also want my emails coming asap. if i didn't want the emails i'd throw them in the spam folder and never get them...

any way to have the latest JD to keep 4g/3g on? does the free JD do anything else other than shut off 4g/3g while the screen is on?

GSdub510

Reaction score
I use it...but watchdog defender is where it's really at.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums