Juice Defender Question

Newps

Reaction score
Running the paid version of Juice Defender. I turn wifi on at home to help save battery. JD turns wifi off as I leave home as advertised. It is supposed to turn it back on automatically when I return home but it doesn't. Anybody else have this problem?

jrpbulk

Reaction score
I have had this problem as well. I just kept having to turn wifi back on ... which wasn't ideal. I ended up disabling JD controlling my wifi (on the control tab). At the same time i have a smart action set up to detect my wifi when at home which shuts off cell data.

Now when I leave the house away from my AP, the SA stops and 4g takes over. When i get back home SA takes over

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

jrpbulk

Reaction score
Update: This is for the ***RAZR ONLY*** I am still having the same issue, juice defender turns the wifi off and then when I get back home it never re-enables it. (I believe this is a "bug"). To get around this I don't let JD control my Wifi - I use Smart Actions to detect my my home wifi then disable 3g/4g only when I am at home. When I leave home smart actions stops and 3g/4g comes back online.

@wolstoc: Please do a search here for Smart Actions that is built in app for the RAZR

Sorry if that was confusing this is for the RAZR ONLY

I also kept trying to let JD train itself but it seem off. Now that i looked it now seems see my location with an 11meter diameter. This is better than before. I may now reenable JD controllingmy wifi to see if turns it back once i return home.

Last edited:

wolstonc

Reaction score
What's a smart action?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

jrpbulk

Reaction score
It is a built app, widget on the droid razr. Not sure if the GNex

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Check your settings under Wifi, ensure it is enabled and wifi preferred is selected. Also, make sure Location is enabled and that your wifi is listed with training completed.

This works for me

jrpbulk

Reaction score
I am going to try that, this again. I have done this all before. Do you think i should turn off my smart action

Check your settings under Wifi, ensure it is enabled and wifi preferred is selected. Also, make sure Location is enabled and that your wifi is listed with training completed.

This works for me

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Personally, I would not have smart actions control my wifi if using JD. they may conflict with each other and cause issues and/or unnecessary battery drain

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jrpbulk

Reaction score
The only issues i have is that JD never turns my wifi on traing done. Also, without smart action, the 4g indicator is always on and that may burn more power.

But i am going to try it again for a day, no SA, just JD

Personally, I would not have smart actions control my wifi if using JD. they may conflict with each other and cause issues and/or unnecessary battery drain

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jrpbulk

Reaction score
Yeah you see it is happening right now both WiFi and 3g/4g are both blue and active. To me this is not good for power conservation, which is why i used SA. But I will give it a day .....

The only issues i have is that JD never turns my wifi on traing done. Also, without smart action, the 4g indicator is always on and that may burn more power.

But i am going to try it again for a day, no SA, just JD

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I used FREE JD for 2 months before I upgraded. Free version does not have the extra wifi controls so I was having to use my wifi widget to shut off wifi when I left the house or work. I have found JD does an excellent job of making my wifi active or inactive depending on whether it is in sleep mode or I am not near my wifi points and I have followed it closely when I get in my car to make sure. Maybe I'm just a lucky dog or it just plays better with the Bionic...

catfisher

Reaction score
JD has options for "Auto Disable" and "Wifi Preferred." These options basically make so your phone will try Wifi first and if none are available, turning it off. Every time you turn your screen off, data should go off as well. Turn the screen on and it will search for your Wifi signal first, then your cell towers as a backup.

JD is an excellent app to help conserve battery if it is configured correctly. I am getting over 24 hours on a battery and according to the JD stats, battery life has been increased 1.85x. I am not a heavy user by any means but my phone will last all day playing some games, doing some browsing, texting, phone calls, etc. Basically standard phone type use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

PatG

Reaction score
Just bought the Ultimate version of Juice Defender for my 2 day old Rezound. I have the JD schedule set at 15 minutes, and disabled almost all of the apps. But how does this really work? I have K9 mail, and set for 30 minutes update. When Juice Defender opens data at 15 minutes does it "tell" all apps to go check? Should I not disable K9 mail, and then let it check on its own every 30 minutes? What about GMail? Does push use a lot of power? Should I disable that app? I don't mind waiting 15 minutes for GMail or Google Calendar updates.

I guess the basic questions; how does JD schedule work with other apps schedule. Seems like they would need to be in sync.

Thanks!!

Reaction score
i have the ultimate JD, and it does not disable apps as it claims. the blutooth control is buggy too (says it's "experimental and might cause probs"). it's ok. i wouldn't pay $5 for it again if i knew all this. woulda just kept the free version.

it does a great job of killing the 4g radio when the phone is sleeping, and only takes a sec or two to re-enable it when you wake it up.

PatG

Reaction score
i have the ultimate JD, and it does not disable apps as it claims. the blutooth control is buggy too (says it's "experimental and might cause probs"). it's ok. i wouldn't pay $5 for it again if i knew all this. woulda just kept the free version.

it does a great job of killing the 4g radio when the phone is sleeping, and only takes a sec or two to re-enable it when you wake it up.
I have been playing with it and now switched it back to simply balanced mode. I think the cycle of trying to turn on Wifi -> seeing if it is running -> if not then turning on 3G takes too long. It also turned off all radios randomly on my Rezound. I was on the road and tested out GPS but the signal wouldn't lock on. Thought I had a bum GPS. Then I noticed the icon with the red dot was in there; the app had turned off all radios. I have noticed that a few times already that all radios were off even though the screen was on and I was using the phone.

Bummer - I don't mind spending money for something that works. Maybe the balanced mode will still enhance the radio. But I wonder if I could have just use the build in sleep mode of the phone just as well.