Judge gives AT$T the okay to buy TW

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Courts ruled today that at$t can now buy time warner. Wonder what this really mean for us. The purchase is now schedule to be completed June 20th.

With AT&T and Time Warner joining forces, the two companies claim they'll be able to better compete with the likes of Google, Amazon, Netflix, Facebook, and others. AT&T and Time Warner will offer better-targeted ads to their customers, and as a result of all this, it's expected that prices will be lowered at some point.

AT&T granted approval to acquire Time Warner for $85 billion

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Wait a sec - TW was just bought out by Charter (Spectrum)! How is this possible (and no I have yet to read that link if it is obvious :D

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Never mind. I read it and although the article was useless at least someone answered that question in the comments. Love useless reporting...

"and eventually should lower prices" right... I have a bridge to sell...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't know how these mergers are getting approved - I've said many times the consolidation of CONTENT owners is far more problematic than the "net neutrality" hysteria. 21st Century Fox assets are another one - I don't think either Disney or Comcast should get approval for that.

Look at what AT&T has - wireless, land lines, cable, Direct TV and now Time Warner (HBO, TBS, Warner Bros).

The almost SINGULAR example of legit net neutrality issues that we have seen repeatedly are providers favoring their own content (or hurting 3rd party competitors). Content licensing costs 100X what delivery of that content costs, which is why I've always said the concentration of content ownership is a far bigger threat to consumer welfare.

On the other hand, 5G among other developments is going to truly commoditize broadband, so you're seeing AT&T, Comcast and other ISP's scramble to buy content because the margin on broadband is going away.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah cable companies NEVER lower prices, especially when they are losing millions of customers.

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
look like the justice department will give the deal a pass and not ask for a stay. the deal will go through. once it is completed, it will be even harder to split them if the justice department went for an appeal so at$t won all around.

The Justice Department announced today that it will not seek a legal stay of the AT&T–Time Warner merger ruling, clearing the way for the completion of the giant deal.

The Justice Department just greenlit the massive AT&T–Time Warner merger

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
at$t moved fast, they complete the purchase.

AT&T has sealed the deal to buy Time Warner in a major piece of media and technology consolidation.

The deal — which is $85.4 billion and a total of $108 billion with debt — was first announced in October 2016 and, having passed a court approval earlier this week, it was completed on Thursday.

AT&T completes its acquisition of Time Warner

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I'm a DirecTV customer which is now also AT&T (remember when the government broke them up as a monopoly) so I wonder how much of the $108 billion I will have to pay for!

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I'm a DirecTV customer which is now also AT&T (remember when the government broke them up as a monopoly) so I wonder how much of the $108 billion I will have to pay for!

you are not the only one wondering how they are going to pay for the debt. watch your bill and see if there is a separate fee for tw :)