Joing the group

tennis0034

Reaction score
Hi -- guess I'm an 'old-timer', having purchased a Droid 1 for my wife and I back in February!

Decided I was finally too impatient to wait for the 2.2 update from Verizon, I'd look around to figure out how to download manually - from what I read, downloading the 'larger' full install (75.6MB) is slightly healthier - however, the zip file I find is titled: 9046f5a3ec09.sighed-voles-ota-45394.zip. To install, do I need to rename this 'update.zip' and follow instructions to mount to root of my SD card, unmount and install via stock recovery mode -- or is there a different set of instructions needed for this file (so many threads, so many comments (some apparently not accurate)?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm rooted and use SPR quite frequently to install new roms via the update.zip method. The steps you propose are correct. What is not included is making a backup first. Unfortunately, I do not remember the stock recovery process but here is how to proceed with SPR.

Download the file to your computer
rename to "update.zip" make sure there is only one ".zip" extensions
mount your phone
rename or remove any existing update.zip file
copy the new update.zip to the root of your SD card
unmount
boot into recovery Press "X" and power
make an advance nandroid backup
wipe data and cache
install
install (dec)
reboot

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I see our expert Mike has already helped you out so I'm just here to say hello and welcome to the forums : )

Enjoy

OP
T

tennis0034

Reaction score
Welcome! I'm rooted and use SPR quite frequently to install new roms via the update.zip method. The steps you propose are correct. What is not included is making a backup first. Unfortunately, I do not remember the stock recovery process but here is how to proceed with SPR.

Download the file to your computer
rename to "update.zip" make sure there is only one ".zip" extensions
mount your phone
rename or remove any existing update.zip file
copy the new update.zip to the root of your SD card
unmount
boot into recovery Press "X" and power
make an advance nandroid backup
wipe data and cache
install
install (dec)
reboot

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

Thanks Mike -- I followed the steps when updating from a stock OS (no rooted system right now) -- so the last few steps that you list are cryptic to me:
- make an advance nandroid backup
- wipe data and cache
- install
- install (dec)

seems like the process for a stock phone is to boot into recovery mode and install.

Now that I'm on stock 2.2 (un-rooted), I want to get more aggressive with rooting, overclocking, turning on tethering, etc. Can you point me to a thread that provides the best recommendations for how to root from 2.2? I got a comment from FurBearingMammal that suggests that it's getting harder and harder to root as the stock revs move ahead -- I don't want to be locked out of that ability --

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you are correct about the differences. Sorry if I confused the issue. I rooted in February so I have forgotten the stock recovery.
If you want to root here is a link http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html that will step you through the process. I suggest you read the thread several time to get familiar, make a list of questions, and post before you proceed.

Please note the edit in blue re 2.2.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

OP
T

tennis0034

Reaction score
I'm sure you are correct about the differences. Sorry if I confused the issue. I rooted in February so I have forgotten the stock recovery.
If you want to root here is a link http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html that will step you through the process. I suggest you read the thread several time to get familiar, make a list of questions, and post before you proceed.

Please note the edit in blue re 2.2.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

Thanks, Mike -- need to take a look and understand this

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please note that the thread was updated yesterday. Let us know if you have questions.

Mike