Jogging tracker apps

Stephie Marie

Reaction score
Anyone use any good ones they can suggest? I've tried a handful and they all suck. Most won't start tracking me until I'm like a mile into my runs. They take forever.

~ Sent from my Droid 2 ~

PulsonicVoid

Reaction score
"Noom" [market link]

It was the most reliable and easy to use one I've seen. They also have an alpha version of a Pedometer; Noom has some other weight-loss related apps integrated into it (Calorie counter, Workout log, etc) but the step counting and GPS tracking of the Pedometer part worked better than others (and it's free)

mjonesdoster

Reaction score
Runkeeper is the best that I find. Their online account is great & can be synced with your phone. That is the one that I use.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anyone use any good ones they can suggest? I've tried a handful and they all suck. Most won't start tracking me until I'm like a mile into my runs. They take forever.
This misunderstanding is fairly common with GPS:

It's not the app. It's your GPS receiver having difficulty getting a fix. I'd suggest making sure that your GPS receiver has a fix before you start tracking. No app is going to change the behavior of the receiver. Watch your notification bar. If the GPS icon is flashing it's trying to get a fix. If it's steady it has obtained a fix.

An app like GPS Status may help if the aGPS data is causing problems with getting a fix and needs to be cleared.

GDP

Reaction score
'My Tracks' is a good one. It's made by Google. It allows you to save your runs as several different file types. It's just a basic GPS tracking app though, so it's not specifically for running. It does give you a lot of info though, like total distance, average speed, max speed, elevation gain, lat/long, etc etc. Plus it gives you a map, and can be synced in several different ways. I use it all the time

scushard

Reaction score
CardioTrainer

I really like CardioTrainer. I have mine set up to alternate pace and distance/time readings every minute. It also autostarts my selected playlist.

OP
Stephie Marie

Stephie Marie

Reaction score
Thank you. I sorta figured that after my 4th trial of jogging apps. I will look for the GPS Status app. Today my GPS had me jogging through buildings on a route I wasn't even close to! lol.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

This misunderstanding is fairly common with GPS:

It's not the app. It's your GPS receiver having difficulty getting a fix. I'd suggest making sure that your GPS receiver has a fix before you start tracking. No app is going to change the behavior of the receiver. Watch your notification bar. If the GPS icon is flashing it's trying to get a fix. If it's steady it has obtained a fix.

An app like GPS Status may help if the aGPS data is causing problems with getting a fix and needs to be cleared.