Jobs' "Thermonuclear" Comment Will Be Fair Game In Android Case

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
thermonuclear1.jpeg

Steve Jobs' comments about Android to biographer Walter Isaacson will be allowed into evidence in the Apple vs. Motorola Mobility lawsuit, despite Apple's attempts to block them. Unless you did not have access to the internet, or were in a some obscure maximum security prison in some foreign land, you surely heard Steve Jobs' contentious comments about Android. If you were locked away, it went something like this: "Google, you f#c%##$ ripped off the iPhone, wholesale ripped us off. Grand theft.....I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this.”

Those are fighting words right there, and Chicago Federal Judge Richard Posner, who’s presiding over the case, has ruled that Motorola is free to reference Jobs’s colorful comments if they choose to do so. Apple last month filed a request to bar Motorola Mobility from making any reference to this quote. Will prejudice for Apple products play a role in this case? Not if Judge Posner has a say. He made it crystal clear that Apple will not turn this into a popularity contest: “I forbid Apple to insinuate to the jury that this case is a popularity contest and jurors should be predisposed to render a verdict for Apple if they like Apple products or the Apple company or admire Steve Jobs, or if they dislike Motorola or Google.”

Source: AllthingsD

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i'm also thinking google will bring up another quote from steve jobs.." a good company makes good software... a great company steels it"... and they wanna think their company is great by those standards?

er... something like that... ahaha

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
How are you(Apple)gonna attemp to block Moto from useing a comment your Pres said about Google? That comment is fair game.And God Bless you Judge Posner for letting Moto use this.The Pres of Apple is probly rubbing his plastic band rite that has WWJWD-Wonder What Jobs Would Do? :D

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
i'm also thinking google will bring up another quote from steve jobs.." a good company makes good software... a great company steels it"... and they wanna think their company is great by those standards?

there's nothing wrong with copying innovation, or stealing it, but getting upset when another company does it and going to these extremes is quiet a problem.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
there's nothing wrong with copying innovation, or stealing it, but getting upset when another company does it and going to these extremes is quiet a problem.

well... uh...

i'll just say... ya.. that's what i was pointing out...

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6

Actually, Picasso said it, but Steve really liked it.

"Picasso had a saying: 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas...I think part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians, poets, artists, zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world."

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I'd like to know exactly why he believes Android is a "stolen" product.

C2Cab95

Reaction score
Steve Jobs really thought of himself as a creator, when in actuality all he and Apple ever did was take/borrow/steal, whatever idea or product, and refine it. I guess the old adage "you can't polish a turd" comes to mind, and yet Steve Jobs was a master at such.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
I'd like to know exactly why he believes Android is a "stolen" product.

Ditto. It's one thing to steal code, but Android is completely different code. Was it the grid of app icons and tapping one on a screen would launch the app? That sounds like Palm OS and I wouldn't be surprised if they copied that from somewhere else. Both Apple and Android took a lot of existing ideas and made them better and perhaps added their own to the product.

One thing I was taught in grade school about our patent system is it exists to protect original ideas and designs while allowing others to improve on them and patent their improvements. Perhaps I was taught wrong.

Chaz08

Reaction score
Fuzzball said:
One thing I was taught in grade school about our patent system is it exists to protect original ideas and designs while allowing others to improve on them and patent their improvements. Perhaps I was taught wrong.

I believe you are correct sir. The minute you patent something, your code or creative property becomes visible to all. Technology is so universal and so easy to recreate the same type of thing while being completly different in structure, design, and code. When patented, you run the risk of someone taking that idea and tweaking/changing it to suit there desires or product base.