JellyBean for the LG Spectrum 2!

JimiMack

Reaction score
My JB update did not happen. I downloaded the file, it went into updating firmware and after the reboot I am still on ICS. I guess it was because I have removed so many apps and files that I had it basically to a stripped down version of ICS. In the morning I will try a complete reset with the CAB and then try to JB update again.

tjupille

Reaction score
0x13E error

I can verify that the upgrade is a two-parter: a small firmware upgrade and then a huge upgrade to jb. Worked fine on my wife's (stock) phone. On my rooted phone, not so much. The first upgrade went to 2% and than failed with "Error: 0x13E". I unfroze all the bloatware with Titanium and tried again; same story. Sooo, factory reset; no joy there either. Apparently, it doesn't *actually* reset the phone completely (a hint comes from the fact that it asks for root access when it reboots from the reset).

Questions:

1. What, exactly, causes a 0x13E error (nice, descriptive name, that)?
2. How do I go about getting that upgrade installed?

Thanks in advance!

-- Tom Jupille

toleary520

Reaction score
1. What, exactly, causes a 0x13E error (nice, descriptive name, that)?
2. How do I go about getting that upgrade installed?

-- Tom Jupille

I kept getting the 0x13E error with the smaller update, restore, unrooted, did everything I could think of, could not get the update to go through. What did work for me was running the Verizon update utility that you can install once you connect your phone to your computer via USB. Ran the update from there and it went straight to jellybean with no fuss. Hope that helps out some people who are running into issues!

micrors4

Reaction score
Yeppers...gotta get the smaller DL first, then you will get the the 400+MB Jelly update. Hope everything been going good for ya, micro! Staying away from the law, ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Haha, so far I have been trying to lay low. I'll try rooting it tomorrow if no one else has tried it yet, to connect the phone it has to be in download mode so you have to boot the phone holding both volume + and - buttons until it shows on the a logo that says download mode. I wonder if those who have issues also had updated using the recover utility and the small update is conflicting with that because they are the same.

Edit: I got the same error 0x13e and I think it might have to do with low battery, anyone else try updating with a low battery?

Last edited:

mordant80

Reaction score
Yea, I had to charge up to update, used the pc updater. I flashed back to stock first as well, I got an error when I tried to update through the phone while it was rooted.

I tried the spectrum ICS root and also the optimus G JB (ZV9-JB-Root) batch files. No luck, get permission denied with both. Gonna call it quits for tonight, have to work early. I hope we can come up with a way to root this thing :(

I wonder if Foxfi works for wireless tethering, I'll give that a try tomorrow, but it's going to suck not having titanium backup if we can't root.

JimiMack

Reaction score
I tried the JB update OTA with 50% battery, after the download and reboot I am still on ICS. I am going to have to flash the CAB file first and then try to update. Damn, I really wish this bootloader was able to be cracked, it would make all this so much simpler.

mordant80

Reaction score
I tried the JB update OTA with 50% battery, after the download and reboot I am still on ICS. I am going to have to flash the CAB file first and then try to update. Damn, I really wish this bootloader was able to be cracked, it would make all this so much simpler.

Yea that's what I did. No doubt on the bootloader, Would be badass.

ninelives1972

Reaction score
Scratching Head...

When I first got my phone, I looked into rooting, but didn't.
What do you possibly get out of rooting a phone, besides the headache that I continue to read about???
Just wondering and scratching my head.
Would love to hear some thoughts on this.
Thanks!

JimiMack

Reaction score
First and foremost for me, it allows me to get rid of all the bloatware. Be also being able to adjust the CPU settings, backup all my apps and data etc... there is a lot that rooting allows you to do. It allows you do do with your phone all you want to and not just what your carrier will allow. The only headache is having to re-flash the phone for the JB upgrade, which this phone will not see the next version of Android after this anyway :)

Last edited:

maximum

Reaction score
How did you get that Verizon update utility to work, it does not seem to see my phone when connected.

I had this problem when I first got the phone. When I set the connection type to internet and then select Ethernet as the connection type the update utility recognizes the phone.

BigCTM

Reaction score
My phone does not recognize the update. Not rooted...Any way to force the update? I tried force stop Google Services Framework too and that does not work.

micrors4

Reaction score
When I first got my phone, I looked into rooting, but didn't.
What do you possibly get out of rooting a phone, besides the headache that I continue to read about???
Just wondering and scratching my head.
Would love to hear some thoughts on this.
Thanks!

For me the biggest thing is being able to use my phone as a hotspot and Faceniff. Not sure what headaches you are referring to but I have quite a few android devices and they are all rooted, some for a couple years now and I have never had any issues with them so far. If you are curious just try rooting your phone, it won't hurt anything and it can always be undone, it technically voids your warranty but it can be undone so Verizon and LG would never know.

I can't manage to update my phone either on my PC it just says to allow the install of the upgrade assistant but nothing happens and the OTA update isn't working either, I can't imagine the frustration people are having that know nothing about android.

Last edited:

mordant80

Reaction score
I must say this is pretty sweet. I've got everything back to where we were progress wise. I found a working root, found a working recovery, and wifi tether is working great. Now with the update we have an up to date Google Now. Definitely the sweetest phone I've owned even if we don't have custom ROMs.