Jelly Bean Update Broke Some Stuff

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR M' started by Jonas4321, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Jonas4321

Jonas4321 New Member

Well, I was excited when I saw that JB was ready for a download, so I dove in. Most of the improvements were cosmetic and nice, but several things broke, one or them has me angry.

Speed dial no longer exists apparently. All of my one-button dialing settings are gone and I see no option to add any, nor any replacement functionality. That alone makes me wish I had not upgraded.

Also, Draw Something does not work at all, but I hope an update will remedy that soon enough. Finally, the Weight Watchers app does not scroll, but that's easy to overlook.

Anyone know how to roll back to 4.0.4? I am seriously considering that for the sped dial functionality.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
  2. droidfellow

droidfellow New Member

Why not use the favorite contacts widget? That will take care of your speed dialing.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Jonas4321

Jonas4321 New Member

Okay, I setup the Favorites widget as recommended. It takes 3 clicks minimum to dial someone and I have to look at the screen at least twice. If I have more than one screen full of Favorites, more.

With Speed Dialing, I opened the Phone app and long-pressed a number and it dialed. It was very convenient for up to 8 quick-dialed numbers. One more click might not seem like a lot but that 33% minimum increase in complexity takes the 'speed' right out of it.

Still not happy, but thanks for the suggestion.

4. droidfellow

droidfellow New Member

Ok found your solution "Go contacts ex" I used it back when I hand my droid 2 global.
    Made by the same people that made go launcher, but you don't have to install go launcher.

Once you download it, you also get "go dialer" remove the old dialer icon and add go dialer, open go dialer long press on the number you want to setup and your golden.

Hope that helps.
  5. sonik

sonik New Member

I use the 'contact' widget direct from my home screen.. 2 clicks, by fairly quick?
  6. Jonas4321

Jonas4321 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. The Contacts widgets (there are two of them) take up too much screen real estate for my tastes.

Go Contacts EX looks like the best alternative as a replacement for the functionality that was (in my opinion) unnecessarily removed with the JB upgrade. Thank you very much for that recommendation!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
  7. sweenbeen

sweenbeen New Member

Ya my speed dials are gone also... But not really a deal breaker to go back to ICS imo... Just kinda a nuisance

Sent from my Motorola RazrM using Droid Forums
  8. sweenbeen

sweenbeen New Member

You can make a folder with the contacts... That way it only takes up one spot...

9. jason915

jason915 New Member

Just updated myself to JB a few hours ago and now my mic button is missing from the keyboard. It used to be just left of the space bar but now it's gone. Under "Language & Input/Keyboard & Input Methods/Android Keyboard Settings" the voice input key is checked to show up "on main keyboard". But it does not.

I've searched and searched and can't figure out how to fix it.
  10. nthanh61

nthanh61 New Member

It's still there on my swype keyboard, to the right of the space bar.
  11. pmbasehore

pmbasehore New Member

Another option to make up for the Speed Dial settings going away is to use the "Direct Dial" widget/shortcut. This puts a 1x1 widget on your screen with your contact's picture. When you first add the widget, it will prompt you to choose which phone number to call. Once it's added, just tap the widget to immediately open your default dialer app and call that person.

It's what I do, and it's built into the OS, so no third-party apps needed.
  12. Jonas4321

Jonas4321 New Member

I had not seen the Direct Dial widget, thanks. It still uses up a lot of screen real estate per person though.

I have also downloaded Dialer One, Dialer, TouchPal, DW Contacts and Phone, and QuickDial. All seem similar to GO Contacts, which has done the trick of replacing the dialer and including speed-dial capabilities so far. Gotta play with them and see if one is better than another.

13. sweenbeen

sweenbeen New Member

You can stack them... Making them a folder. This will help with your real estate issue.

14. droidfellow

droidfellow New Member

I just saw the direct dial widget and came to let you know, this seems the best way, and imho seems better than the speed dial. You can have more than eight contacts.
  15. Webbslinger

Webbslinger New Member

Well, IMHO there's no substitute as good as speed dial. You want to call and it's there. Did Moto hire a bunch of displaced Audi HVC designers? Why make it complicated? If they think they have something better offer both and let us decide, or don't and let us decide what phone we want to buy.
  16. Webbslinger

Webbslinger New Member

Well, IMHO there's no substitute as good as speed dial. You want to call and it's there. Did Moto hire a bunch of displaced Audi HVC designers? Why make it complicated? If they think they have something better offer both and let us decide, or don't and let us decide what phone we want to buy.
  17. Webbslinger

Webbslinger New Member

So I've been playing with direct dial. To use it, 1: You have to have another widget on screen. 2: You have 4 key strokes to make a call rather than 3. 3: If you're in a call you have to back out to home screen to use it. 4: You have to look at little widgets that are much smaller than the dial pad. How is this better?
  18. Jonas4321

Jonas4321 New Member

I completely agree. I have substituted DW Dialer for the stock dialer now, and am VERY happy. I have speed dialing like I had before the upgrade to JB. I only have 7 people on my speed dial list, so it works well for me. Also, I don't have to open the Contacts/People list to find someone quickly - I just type their name on the keypad (first or last) and it quickly narrows down to the people I am looking for. I have about 450 people in my phone book, so this method works great for me.

19. bmetelsky

bmetelsky New Member

Actually, I believe that this functionality is built in to the stock dialer.
    I do agree, though, that having speed dial on the stock dialer would be great.
  20. Webbslinger

Webbslinger New Member

DW Dialer works fine. BUT, it doesn't open from the unlock page so still requires another key stroke and you have to back out of a received call to access it. Basically, it's hanging a bag on the device. Note to Motorola: fix this or lose customers.
Search tags for this page
#11 speed dial galaxy s3
android jelly bean broke calendar conference dial
android jelly bean direct dial shortcut
can't find my voice command for my keyboard on my motorola r
droid bionic speed dial no longer works after update

droid razr m speed dial

jelly bean favorites widget
jelly bean stuff
motorola droid speed dialing jellybean
razr m phone dial by name

speed dial android jelly bean