Jelly Bean Update Broke Some Stuff

Jonas4321

Reaction score
Well, I was excited when I saw that JB was ready for a download, so I dove in. Most of the improvements were cosmetic and nice, but several things broke, one or them has me angry.

Speed dial no longer exists apparently. All of my one-button dialing settings are gone and I see no option to add any, nor any replacement functionality. That alone makes me wish I had not upgraded.

Also, Draw Something does not work at all, but I hope an update will remedy that soon enough. Finally, the Weight Watchers app does not scroll, but that's easy to overlook.

Anyone know how to roll back to 4.0.4? I am seriously considering that for the sped dial functionality.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

OP
J

Jonas4321

Reaction score
Okay, I setup the Favorites widget as recommended. It takes 3 clicks minimum to dial someone and I have to look at the screen at least twice. If I have more than one screen full of Favorites, more.

With Speed Dialing, I opened the Phone app and long-pressed a number and it dialed. It was very convenient for up to 8 quick-dialed numbers. One more click might not seem like a lot but that 33% minimum increase in complexity takes the 'speed' right out of it.

Still not happy, but thanks for the suggestion.

droidfellow

Reaction score
Ok found your solution "Go contacts ex" I used it back when I hand my droid 2 global.
Made by the same people that made go launcher, but you don't have to install go launcher.

Once you download it, you also get "go dialer" remove the old dialer icon and add go dialer, open go dialer long press on the number you want to setup and your golden.

Hope that helps.

sonik

Reaction score
I use the 'contact' widget direct from my home screen.. 2 clicks, by fairly quick?

OP
J

Jonas4321

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. The Contacts widgets (there are two of them) take up too much screen real estate for my tastes.

Go Contacts EX looks like the best alternative as a replacement for the functionality that was (in my opinion) unnecessarily removed with the JB upgrade. Thank you very much for that recommendation!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

sweenbeen

Reaction score
Ya my speed dials are gone also... But not really a deal breaker to go back to ICS imo... Just kinda a nuisance

Sent from my Motorola RazrM using Droid Forums

sweenbeen

Reaction score
Jonas4321 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. The Contacts widgets (there are two of them) take up too much screen real estate for my tastes.

You can make a folder with the contacts... That way it only takes up one spot...

jason915

Reaction score
Just updated myself to JB a few hours ago and now my mic button is missing from the keyboard. It used to be just left of the space bar but now it's gone. Under "Language & Input/Keyboard & Input Methods/Android Keyboard Settings" the voice input key is checked to show up "on main keyboard". But it does not.

I've searched and searched and can't figure out how to fix it.

nthanh61

Reaction score
Just updated myself to JB a few hours ago and now my mic button is missing from the keyboard. It used to be just left of the space bar but now it's gone. Under "Language & Input/Keyboard & Input Methods/Android Keyboard Settings" the voice input key is checked to show up "on main keyboard". But it does not.

I've searched and searched and can't figure out how to fix it.
It's still there on my swype keyboard, to the right of the space bar.

pmbasehore

Reaction score
Another option to make up for the Speed Dial settings going away is to use the "Direct Dial" widget/shortcut. This puts a 1x1 widget on your screen with your contact's picture. When you first add the widget, it will prompt you to choose which phone number to call. Once it's added, just tap the widget to immediately open your default dialer app and call that person.

It's what I do, and it's built into the OS, so no third-party apps needed.

OP
J

Jonas4321

Reaction score
I had not seen the Direct Dial widget, thanks. It still uses up a lot of screen real estate per person though.

I have also downloaded Dialer One, Dialer, TouchPal, DW Contacts and Phone, and QuickDial. All seem similar to GO Contacts, which has done the trick of replacing the dialer and including speed-dial capabilities so far. Gotta play with them and see if one is better than another.

sweenbeen

Reaction score
Jonas4321 said:
I had not seen the Direct Dial widget, thanks. It still uses up a lot of screen real estate per person though.

You can stack them... Making them a folder. This will help with your real estate issue.

droidfellow

Reaction score
Another option to make up for the Speed Dial settings going away is to use the "Direct Dial" widget/shortcut. This puts a 1x1 widget on your screen with your contact's picture. When you first add the widget, it will prompt you to choose which phone number to call. Once it's added, just tap the widget to immediately open your default dialer app and call that person.

It's what I do, and it's built into the OS, so no third-party apps needed.

I just saw the direct dial widget and came to let you know, this seems the best way, and imho seems better than the speed dial. You can have more than eight contacts.

Webbslinger

Reaction score
Well, IMHO there's no substitute as good as speed dial. You want to call and it's there. Did Moto hire a bunch of displaced Audi HVC designers? Why make it complicated? If they think they have something better offer both and let us decide, or don't and let us decide what phone we want to buy.