Jelly Bean RAZR/MAXX Christmas 2012 Update?

jwfuller78

Reaction score
Installed the xmas Jelly Bean update

I picked up a tablet with jelly bean (Asus 300T, it's a great tablet for the price) and I really really liked the smoothness and look of Jelly Bean so I installed the xmas update. Only problem so far is Skype will not install. Otherwise, JB is a great fit for this phone! Very smooth transitions with a great look.

eacounts

Reaction score
That is awesome. Do you have a lot of apps on your home screens? I updated mine Razr Maxx and got HORRIBLE battery life even after an FDR and battery recalibration. I went to the Verzion store they ordered me another phone and I have it now without the JB update. I really like the smoothness of the JB update and the added features. I just switched my sim card over to the replacement phone and the battery life is at 80 % @ 3 hours off the charger. So I don't know what I am doing wrong but if I am still getting poor battery life I might as well go back to my original phone that has the leaked JB update.

50 hours????? Do you not ever use your phone or something? Lol I think its crazy some of y'all are pulling some crazy 30-50 hours. The best I can do is maybe 18 but then again push notification are set to come through immediately Google now is always running. HD widgets and zooper widget is always running as well. WiFi is on most of the time but sometimes you just can't compare to 4G which eats up battery like crazy!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yup, I use it quite regularly. Several calls a day, dozens of text messages. Chrome for reading the news, Currents for reading tech blogs, lots and lots of email (with push turned on). I play solitair a lot when I'm bored (a lot lately).
4G and WiFi enabled, GPS and BT on as needed. Was using beautiful widgets flip clock with weather but am now using RAZR HD Circle Widget instead with better results.
Screen on time averages about 4.5 hours but that seems a bit low to me. I have screen brightness set to auto with save battery checked.

Some other things I do... I almost never "partially charge" meaning I'll let it drop down to about 30% before fully charging it - usually do this overnight. About once a week, I will let it drop down below 30% then turn it off before charging.

I posted some screenshots in the battery section of the forums.

David

YellowJacket

Reaction score
That is awesome. Do you have a lot of apps on your home screens? I updated mine Razr Maxx and got HORRIBLE battery life even after an FDR and battery recalibration. I went to the Verzion store they ordered me another phone and I have it now without the JB update. I really like the smoothness of the JB update and the added features. I just switched my sim card over to the replacement phone and the battery life is at 80 % @ 3 hours off the charger. So I don't know what I am doing wrong but if I am still getting poor battery life I might as well go back to my original phone that has the leaked JB update.

One of the biggest battery drains I found early on was the gmail screen widget (NOT the gmail app). With it installed on my homescreen, I was lucky if I got a full day on a charge. I quit using the widget and my battery life went back to better than a day of use. Just for kicks I tried the widget again a few weeks later and had the same results... a drastic drop in battery life. I also had the same experience with my Xoom tablet.

David

GotnFX

Reaction score
One of the biggest battery drains I found early on was the gmail screen widget (NOT the gmail app). With it installed on my homescreen, I was lucky if I got a full day on a charge. I quit using the widget and my battery life went back to better than a day of use. Just for kicks I tried the widget again a few weeks later and had the same results... a drastic drop in battery life. I also had the same experience with my Xoom tablet.

David

Another one is Facebook and I remembered David that you said you had disabled it.. Right? I uninstalled the app all together..I found it running all the time. Since then I am getting over 35 hrs..With 4.5 hrs screen time.

eacounts

Reaction score
I am not using widgets just the app. I just don't know what I am doing wrong to get such horrible battery life. :angry:

50 hours????? Do you not ever use your phone or something? Lol I think its crazy some of y'all are pulling some crazy 30-50 hours. The best I can do is maybe 18 but then again push notification are set to come through immediately Google now is always running. HD widgets and zooper widget is always running as well. WiFi is on most of the time but sometimes you just can't compare to 4G which eats up battery like crazy!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

David

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-10-12-19-59.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-10-12-19-59.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 282

eacounts

Reaction score
OH NO I need to remove FB completely and not just from my home screen?

Another one is Facebook and I remembered David that you said you had disabled it.. Right? I uninstalled the app all together..I found it running all the time. Since then I am getting over 35 hrs..With 4.5 hrs screen time.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I am not using widgets just the app. I just don't know what I am doing wrong to get such horrible battery life. :angry:

THe brighter the screen is, the more power it consumes and according to the graphs, it is taking up quite a bit. I am at 26% screen today and average around the 30's.

To save energy, set the screen brightness to "auto" and check the box for save battery. Overall, you should not notice a big difference in brightness but you will notice a big difference in battery.

David

YellowJacket

Reaction score

I'm lazy and just go into manage apps and kill it. It does however, return quite frequently. I'm going to uninstall it and just use the browser now as I don't do much on FB.

David

GotnFX

Reaction score
I'm lazy and just go into manage apps and kill it. It does however, return quite frequently. I'm going to uninstall it and just use the browser now as I don't do much on FB.

David

So that means for you that is 100 hrs on one charge if you do that .. Lol

GotnFX

Reaction score

If you have it on your home screen that apps is definitely a battery hog.. If anything limit how often it updates.. Also how often does email get updated? That is another hog..I manually update when I look at my phone.

GotnFX

Reaction score

You don't have to but at least limit how often to update.. Same with email.. I normally just manually update mine whenever I look at my phone...

Edit.. Sorry for the double post.

eacounts

Reaction score
I will try that to see if that helps ! Thanks !!

THe brighter the screen is, the more power it consumes and according to the graphs, it is taking up quite a bit. I am at 26% screen today and average around the 30's.

To save energy, set the screen brightness to "auto" and check the box for save battery. Overall, you should not notice a big difference in brightness but you will notice a big difference in battery.

David

SCREWd2V

Reaction score
A Tapatalk error caused me to accidentally delete my own entire thread. :-( I am waiting for Admin to (hopefully be able to) step in and undelete it. Please stand by. If it is to be resolved, it will likely be later today.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

Any luck?

Sent from my phone that has no eye

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Gotta wonder, if I use something like Fast Reboot Pro after using the FB app, given all Notifications/Updates have been turned off, if the FB app would come back. Is the FB app running when you reboot your phone or do you have to open the app up first?

Has anyone tried JuiceDefender with the XMAS JB update?

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Gotta wonder, if I use something like Fast Reboot Pro after using the FB app, given all Notifications/Updates have been turned off, if the FB app would come back. Is the FB app running when you reboot your phone or do you have to open the app up first?

Has anyone tried JuiceDefender with the XMAS JB update?

The FB app would restart itself at will so I ended up uninstalling it. However, today I noticed that the Play Store had updated the app. I looked and it was not running then rebooted and its still not running.

Interesting thing though.... Since uninstalling FB, it "seems" like my battery is doing a little better. I'm at 27 hours of continuous use and the battery is at 60%. Still going to try a full cycle without FB and see if I can hit 60 hours. ....just in time for the weekend.

David