Jelly Bean for Droid 4 is OFFICIAL!!!!

richsapf

Reaction score
Has there been a hack yet to reset the Flash counter?.. I am anxious to root but not until then.

I LOVE melted butter!!

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't know what that is, so can't say. As for rooting, hopefully my Voodoo RootKeeper backup will work with JB.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

richsapf

Reaction score
Yah, the rooting is not the problem. The Flash counter is what Motorola put on the Droid 4 to count how many times it has been flashed(rooted) and last I heard it was NOT hackable; so Verizon could see it had been rooted and void the warranty. If it has not been rooted, they will see in recovery boot a 0/0 and all is good. If it has been rooted, they will see 0/1 and hence are likely to void your warranty if you have one...

I have all the root files and the full sbf 6.16.217.XT894, in case of brick.... But even a full recovery flash back to complete stock will NOT erase the flash count. This is per xda. So I am waiting until that hack can be done before I root.

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
Woah! I didn't know they could do something like that. It must be hard coded into the circuit board or something. That's crazy!

richsapf

Reaction score
Perfect term: CRAZY!

I am checking in with XDA and Droid Forum daily...lol.... And when they find the hack-:icon_ banana:DancingNexus. I'm having a Flashathon!

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
More like IF they find the hack. If it's hard coded, there may be no way around it.

mattjenn

Reaction score
This counter that everyone talks about if that's what it is doesn't work properly any way cause 2 of my 3 phones have never been rooted and they both show up one says 0/1 and other says 1/1 and again neither one of these phones have ever been rooted romed or hacked in any way so it either does not work or that's not what it really is

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
The worst part of that is, they would believe the counter over you and deny a warranty claim, even if you had never rooted.

richsapf

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

I am just wondering if by chance these phones were referbs and possibly the people before you flashed??.. I know that was one in a million but it just crossed my mind and I really want to get to the bottom of this.. This is WAY too bizarre yours are reading counts like that.. I'm sure you are looking at the correct numbers too...

Should I bring this up in xda? or what do you guys think is the next step cause Silverfang you are 100% right they would not believe the customer if it read 0/1 and you never flashed.... The plot thickens!!

mattjenn

Reaction score
They were brand new from Verizon corporate store my Droid 4 and my wife's razr

My DROID 4 was actually bought the day it came out and neither one has ever been rooted or customized in any way not even launchers off the market that's the only reason I hesitate to believe this is a root checker

richsapf

Reaction score
I hope it is NOT a root checker. I have never even heard of anything like that, but here is a link from xda about getting around the flash counter for a samsung galaxy ace. Maybe this will shine some light?...I am just shaking my head that motorola would pull this s%^$t. I have alread asked in the xda forum about a week ago if there was any luck with the droid 4 getting the hack or whatever but no one has responded...There HAS to be SOME way around this. They were talking about motorola giving the unlock code for some phones but as of yet the Droid 4 was not on the list.. It had to do with command prompts on your pc

Link: [ROOT] [i8160] [Ace2] Advanced rooting procedure WITHOUT increasing the Flash counter - xda-developers

I don't know what to do from here:blink:.. here are a couple other links with some more info:
http://community.developer.motorola.com/t5/Bootloader/Bootloader-for-Droid-4/td-p/24000

[URL]https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/87215

[/URL]
This is about the RAZR:https://developer.motorola.com/products/bootloader/instructions/

Please let me know if any of this helps..

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
No idea. It just evolved that way.