Jelly bean finally announced!......Sort of...

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by resident psycho, Mar 26, 2013.

1. resident psycho

resident psycho New Member

Well Jelly Bean has been finally set to Q2 for Bionic. But is it too late? Who knows......Say we will be getting 4.1... should be 4.2 for making us wait! But the thing is will this be the last update? Stalled at 4.1 when we had the phone before the Razrs? We shall see....... Via Droid-Life:;)

Motorola Commits to Updating DROID Bionic to Jelly Bean in Q2 ? Droid Life
  2. walkerstempe

walkerstempe New Member

Someday, we'll get it. My next upgrade is in September. Since I'm not a sucker to pay for the latest and greatest, that Maxx HD will get me back to the thin look, real cheap by then. Sorry, it's still just a phone, with goodies.
    Going to miss the Bionic only lapdock though. Should be running real sweet with JB, they say.
  3. walkerstempe

walkerstempe New Member

This has been a great phone, even with the dreaded red dot inside.
  4. Tums

Tums New Member

I am in the same boat my upgrade is in October but most likely I will be sticking with this phone for a bit. It does all i need it do so I am fine with it. I mean I had my phone prior to this one a LG Dare for 3 and half years and the only reason I got rid of it is because it went bonkers. So I can see myself sticking with this phone for at least another year I've had no issues.

As for the Jelly Bean update I think we will get it sooner than later in Q2. My guess would be sometime by the end of April maybe early May at the latest but that is just a guess so who knows. I think along with the Xoom LTE it is the only Verizon/Motorala product the remains to get the update so I could see it happening within another month realistically. And yes most likely 4.1.2 will be the last update for this phone and I would also guess the Rzr/MAXX and D4
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  5. resident psycho

I think the Razr phones will probably get 5.0 key lime pie. They said each phone will get 2 major updates, came with ginger bread so jelly bean is 1 and key lime would be 2....just sucks we have to wait so long....
  6. mattyj724

mattyj724 New Member

My update is in July. I was looking at the s4 but I'm gonna stick it out with the jb update and see what comes out later this year
  7. JayBusa102709

JayBusa102709 New Member

Did you forget about ics
  8. resident psycho

yes I did... brain fart
  9. spudland

spudland New Member

Don't see Jellybean saving my Android experience

I've decided to not get in a hurry to upgrade my Bionic. It's just a phone with benefits as far as I'm concerned. I had a Palm Pre for 2 years before I got this phone and if they had stayed in the business I'd still own a Palm. Best multitasking phone hands down. Took me awhile to get used to Android and still not sure I'm used to it (or want to be for that matter). I've been dinking around with Windows 8 on my home computer (even though I don't have a touchscreen monitor, which is almost a must to fully realize the potential of this software) and I think I'll go try out the Windows 8 phone in the store to see how it compares to WebOS...just not happy with the way Android handles app switching.
  10. Bfp

Bfp New Member

The wife just got a windows 8 phone a Nokia 822 lumina, not a bad phone and i would say the radio in it ts as good as my bionic.
  11. HowardL168

HowardL168 New Member

Well, tomorrow's the first day of "Q2"! ;-)
  12. resident psycho

No update yet......booooo...:biggrin:
  13. mykl376

mykl376 Member

I use PdaNet+/FoxFi enough to not really be excited about JB. I've never rooted my Bionic, but if that's what it takes I guess I'll have to do it eventually. I've got 3 extended batteries plus an external battery charger, car dock, lap dock... I would be okay keeping my Bionic for a few more months as long as I can keep tethering. I'm no super "data hog," but I probably average 8-9 gigs a month.
  14. ChiefIlliniwek5

ChiefIlliniwek5 Member

Define "super". I'd say that's a great deal of data for one person for one month. My wife and I combined never come close to touching our 4 GB limit. I guess if you're watching a lot of netflix or other streaming services on train rides/plane trips or what-have-you then I can see why.

This potential update does have me re-thinking whether I should pull the trigger in May when my new phone eligibility opens up, or if JB on this baby will be enough to give it more life. I want to wait to see what the Moto X phone has to offer and compare it to the S4, so hopefully JB on the Bionic will give it a breath of new life that will help me wait for the X to be released so I can make the best decision.
  15. spudland

spudland New Member

I use 10 gigs a month and I don't consider myself a power user at all

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  16. mykl376

mykl376 Member

When I'm at home, I use wi-fi, which isn't actually unlimited itself, Cox Cable just has a much larger limit, I believe 250 gigs or so? So, no thanks "coffee shop" unsecured wi-fi, shared by 30 other people, with speeds slower than Verizon's 3g service. If I'm out and about, I'm going to stream my music and video via 4g, just like all the commercials say to do, right?

The point I'm not making is that since I still have unlimited data for now, I shall use it as I wish. No single plan is right for everyone, so if you only use a paltry 1-2 gigs a month, then a low cap tiered plan is good for you. I would constantly be checking my usage, and worried about going over. I never worry about my non-unlimited home internet usage, because I've never gone over the limit. if my phone's data limit was, say, 15-20 gigs a month, I wouldn't worry either, because I've never gone over that amount!
  17. resident psycho

Here's my question....why force people out of unlimited then talk about going VoLTE...how much data is it going to use talking using data? I guess we will see their plan....
  18. tyseft163

tyseft163 New Member

I just upgraded my wife's voice only line to LTE 2GB/month plan. The online operator actually suggested I could keep my unlimited data plan. I was surprised. I was expecting to be influenced to move to shared data plan. I guess they're not in a big hurry to force customers to tiered shared plans.
  19. Zregnier

Zregnier New Member

Soak test invites have been sent out. Shouldn't be long until the OTA is pushed!
  20. 804hokie

804hokie New Member

I wonder if anyone has convinced VzW to put them on the unlimited data plan since it has been swapped for tiered data plans? I've heard stories of people getting early phone upgrades all the time. If VzW had the iPhone 3G (my first smartphone) back in 2008, I would've signed up with them instead of AT&T back in the day. I would love to have unlimited LTE data, since it is often faster than wifi on my Bionic. I did, however, take that double data plan incentive when it was offered in late 2011 (jumped me from 5GB to 10 GB for the same monthly bill).
Search tags for this page

bionic key lime pie