Jelly Bean and Battery Life

popeclif

Reaction score
Reading through this, can anyone tell me how to deal with the media server issues? I'm on a RAZR Maxx 4.1.2

Lois

Reaction score
Media using all my battery

In my case, it's media (sometimes displaying as android.process.media) that's killing my battery. I'm lucky to get 10 hours between charges since JB (it was 2 or three times that under ICS). When I first turn the phone on, the media component is small, but within an hour it's at 50, 60, or even 90% and has kept my phone awake the whole time and sucked out 10% of the battery - and I'm not doing anything with it during this time!

TriciaH

Reaction score
Yeah Lois I agree with you! They did screw something up in this update. No one had this problem before updating. Right now, having just unplugged my phone, media is at 0 and the system mediaserver process does not even show. But like you said just give it a couple hours. I do get a lot more than 10 hours out of my battery so not making it thru the day is not an issue with mine. But it still grates on my nerves that something is not running quite right and I have been driving myself buggy trying to figure out how to stop it. I think we can be pretty sure that Moto/Verizon/Google won't bother to address the issue.

Reaction score
I just had my best battery life so far. My phone syncs email every 15 minutes, GPS is turned on and WiFi is always on and I got 3 days plus. Time to put it on charger.
nydugere.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

stuinsf

Reaction score
Factory Data Reset on the horizon

I too have had the dreaded MEDIA problem for the past few weeks now and it looks like I'm headed for a Factory Data Reset. As my phone is not rooted, does anyone have good advice on the step by step instructions to back up and then restore all of the relevant stuff on my phone, including photos, etc., format my SD card, etc.? I'd like to start as clean as possible to see if that helps. I've also seen mention that it may be best to do the FDR 2x -- is that true?

Thanks,
A frustrated Droid RAZR Maxx user

_skibum

Reaction score
What's got me baffled is the inconsistency. Last Thursday, I did 2 FDRs, 2 cache wipes, reloaded JB, did 2 more FDRs and 2 more cache wipes, rooted, and loaded Safestrap. Friday, I only got about 12 hours before I had to recharge. I took the phone off of the charger around 730 Saturday morning. I just got the best battery life out of a charge since I've owned this Maxx. I hope it continues....

View attachment 61675

Edit: forgot to mention that I hooked my phone up to some speakers and played music for 4 hours Saturday morning add well. That was the only time that I saw mediaserver active and using battery....

Last edited:

GotnFX

Reaction score
What's got me baffled is the inconsistency. Last Thursday, I did 2 FDRs, 2 cache wipes, reloaded JB, rooted, loaded Safestrap, and then did 2 more FDRs and 2 more cache wipes. Friday, I only got about 12 hours before I had to recharge. I took the phone off of the charger around 730 Saturday morning. I just got the best battery life out of a charge since I've owned this Maxx. I hope it continues....

Yeah...I hear ya. Its almost like a reconditioning of the phone. FDRs are a pain, but well worth it. I wonder if most had a bad download with the pushed OTA..but usually a couple of FDRs should help along with a battery cal..but in your case its not needed. Maybe you are on to something. I'm getting a good day but I am using smart actions..

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Is it possible that "media" is cataloging all the media files on the phone? If so, then, cache wipes and resets will do nothing more than cause media to recheck all of those files all over again.

Also consider this - but some call it voodoo science - any time phone is reset or a major update is installed it needs to "settle in" which can take a few days. During those days, battery life will more than likely be terrible. Afterwards though, it will improve significantly. I have experienced this on almost every WM and android phone I have owned including my Maxx.

I regularly get greater than 24 hours of continuous battery life out of my maxx after the initial few days following a reset.

David

Last edited:

_skibum

Reaction score
Ran some errands and drove to work with navigation running. I pulled in the parking lot, checked my email, and then took a 10 minute phone call. Right at 50 hours, I got the 15% warning. The phone was in my pocket when about 15 minutes later I got a 5% warning. I turned it off and plugged it into the factory ac charger. I think the rapid drop off at the end indicates that its time for a Foxkat.

And I 100% agree with the settle in time. I think the apps need some time to get settled in, too.

Last edited:

Lois

Reaction score
Mine's been "settling" for over a week now, and still crappy battery life (it drops about 8-10% per hour). Now I'm trying uninstalling apps that might call media - one at at time. I uninstalled my 3rd-party gallery app, and that didn't make any difference, so I put it back on. Next up, Pandora. I may finally bite the bullet & do the FDR this weekend to see if that helps. I figure by now I've spent as much time trying everything else as I'd spend re-setting everything up after a FDR. GRRRR!

_skibum

Reaction score
I agree with YellowJacket start by moving all of your pictures and music files to a computer. Then, do yourself a favor by not re-installing all of your apps right away after that FDR. I just realized that after all of the work I did last Thursday that the other thing that I did differently this time is that I only installed the 4 apps that I used the most. I was just tired of messing with it, so I stopped. I still haven't installed the rest of the apps that I had on it. I have only charged my phone one time since 7am last Saturday. It is now at 50% after 21 hours and 13 minutes off charger. I'm finally getting the "advertised" battery life out of my Maxx. I'm happy now. dancedroid

I'm going to re-install my apps one by one over the next couple of days so I will be able to tell if one has a negative impact...