Jealous of my wifes D2G

speltrong

Reaction score
It took me a long time and a ton of research to get my head around the whole megapixel thing. You'll notice that camera manufacturers like Canon finally convinced their marketing department to stop the whole stupid megapixel war because it started seriously hurting the reviews of the cameras. The flagship Canon G10 had 14.7MP which was ridiculous. The next rev (G11) used a 10MP sensor which destroyed the G10 in image quality and low light tests. Each image also consumed 1/3 less space because there was less useless bloated artifact-ridden data. What they really need to work on instead is allowing for larger and/or more efficient sensor tech and better lenses.

Sorry about derailing the point of this thread <sheepish>, camera tech is just something I'm passionate about. :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

ExodusC

Reaction score
And no keyboard......X Rules

I had a Nexus One before my D2G, and I absolutely love the keyboard on the D2G, it's a definite advantage.

Maybe to you, I see no use for it.

I had a Nexus One before my D2G, and I absolutely love the keyboard on the D2G, it's a definite advantage.

Maybe to you, I see no use for it.

+1 takes alil while to get use to a virtual keyboard coming from physical, definality much better once you do tho.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

I used to have an iPhone 3G, which in my opinion has a superior keyboard to Android's. After that, I had a Nexus One.

I love the physical keyboard on the Droid 2 Global. The typing experience is just so much better than any virtual keyboard I've used, in my opinion.

Swype is a different story-- I still use it on my D2G if I need to shoot a quick text with one hand or something. It's certainly better in some situations compared to a regular virtual keyboard.

Having the physical keyboard also makes my phone feel like a portable computer rather than a phone, for some reason. That's all purely subjective, though.

Reaction score
I had a 3GS and a 4 and the virtual keyboard is second to none, but I love the D2 hardware keyboard its the best of its kind

Zraii

Reaction score
Wife and I both got D2G's a couple weeks ago. First smartphone for both of us.

I researched it and the faster processor and keyboard were the deciding factors. I knew the DX had a better camera but I'm also an amateur photographer and have a > $1000 camera rig to take pictures with.

My only complaint is battery life and GPS is not real strong indoors. On my wife's droid it seems her's has trouble outside too.

No complaints about the voice quality on my D2G. My very first cell phone was a Motorola and they produce superior phones.

To the OP, might be worth calling your service provider and asking them to upgrade you to the D2G in exchange for resetting your 2 year agreement with them? You might have to pay the $200 for the phone.

speltrong

Reaction score
I researched it and the faster processor and keyboard were the deciding factors. I knew the DX had a better camera but I'm also an amateur photographer and have a > $1000 camera rig to take pictures with.

My only complaint is battery life and GPS is not real strong indoors. On my wife's droid it seems her's has trouble outside too.

DX actually has a worse camera. 8MP is too dense for a cameraphone sensor. More than 5MP in a sensor that size hurts the low-light capabilities and image quality and bloats the drive space the images take up. The D2G has some sort of anti-shake tech in it that the DX doesn't have which really helps in poor lighting conditions. I'm also an amateur photog, and actually like the images out of my D2G, where the ones in my friends' DXs kind of suck. Yes, all phone cameras are bad compared to my GF1 or D90 (esp. w/ a good prime lens :D), but if I don't have those on me, this one is sufficient for documenting events.

Battery life doesn't have to be bad if you're willing to do a little tinkering. I just plugged my D2G last night after 1 day 18 hours on a charge. Tons of info about that here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/111925-droid-2-global-battery-life.html

ExodusC

Reaction score

DX actually has a worse camera. 8MP is too dense for a cameraphone sensor. More than 5MP in a sensor that size hurts the low-light capabilities and image quality and bloats the drive space the images take up. The D2G has some sort of anti-shake tech in it that the DX doesn't have which really helps in poor lighting conditions. I'm also an amateur photog, and actually like the images out of my D2G, where the ones in my friends' DXs kind of suck. Yes, all phone cameras are bad compared to my GF1 or D90 (esp. w/ a good prime lens :D), but if I don't have those on me, this one is sufficient for documenting events.

Battery life doesn't have to be bad if you're willing to do a little tinkering. I just plugged my D2G last night after 1 day 18 hours on a charge. Tons of info about that here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/111925-droid-2-global-battery-life.html

I've never used a Droid X, but in my opinion, the Droid 2 Global's camera seems pretty awful. My Nexus One did a far better job at taking photos.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using the DroidForums App.

speltrong

Reaction score
I've never used a Droid X, but in my opinion, the Droid 2 Global's camera seems pretty awful. My Nexus One did a far better job at taking photos.

There are definitely much better ones out there (Lumix phone in Japan and Nokia N8 are probably the two best), but between the DX and D2G, the D2G is better for stills. Now video is another thing - I can't think of any other reason besides software gimping, but the D2G currently doesn't capture 720p video. The DX's 720 video is actually really nice for a phone. I know the Droid Incredible got a FW update that enabled 720p, so maybe it's the same thing on the D2G and they just wanted to position the DX as a multimedia phone so they crippled the D2G. Or who knows, maybe it's a different chip that can't keep up w/ the framerate. In either case, the DX is right now the way to go if you want video.

Zraii

Reaction score
You know what I want? A small bluetooth camera. No bells and whistles, just a camera and maybe video.

ExodusC

Reaction score

There are definitely much better ones out there (Lumix phone in Japan and Nokia N8 are probably the two best), but between the DX and D2G, the D2G is better for stills. Now video is another thing - I can't think of any other reason besides software gimping, but the D2G currently doesn't capture 720p video. The DX's 720 video is actually really nice for a phone. I know the Droid Incredible got a FW update that enabled 720p, so maybe it's the same thing on the D2G and they just wanted to position the DX as a multimedia phone so they crippled the D2G. Or who knows, maybe it's a different chip that can't keep up w/ the framerate. In either case, the DX is right now the way to go if you want video.
The Nexus One got some hacks to enable 720p-- when I used it, it was kind of buggy, and you needed an SD card fast enough to keep up with the writes.

I think they did eventually get the FPS up to 30+, though.

I'm dubious if the actual camera in the Droid 1 and Droid 2 could handle 720p.

speltrong

Reaction score
You know what I want? A small bluetooth camera. No bells and whistles, just a camera and maybe video.

Off-topic again, but forget Bluetooth - get an Eye-Fi card for your current camera. They'll be releasing an app soon for Android that you can direct-connect your camera to your phone via WiFi and use it to store pics or post.

I have an Eye-Fi ProX2 card and love it (going to love it more when it connects to my D2G)