1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Jealous of my wifes D2G

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by leftcoastsrt04, Jan 10, 2011.

1. leftcoastsrt04

leftcoastsrt04 New Member

Recently got my wife a D2G and I have to say, I'm pretty jealous. Don't get me wrong, I love my X but the global is just a sweet phone. It feels solid and well made. Very impressed with this phone. You guys are lucky.....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  2. captainoftheworld

captainoftheworld New Member

Your call quality is endlessly better on the x
  3. tebower

tebower New Member

My call quality on my D2G is great. Even before the OTA update that was supposed to fix it, I never noticed a drop in call quality coming from my D1.

I have handled and played with the DX multiple times, and it has a nice screen. However, it completely annoys me that the screen size increases by 30% but the pixel density was the same as my Droid. Also I want a hard keyboard.

The D2G is an underappreciated phone to be sure. At CES, some other 1.2Ghz phone was advertised as the first 1.2Ghz phone on the market, and I felt bad for my phone. Someone at VZW should have corrected them.
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

And no keyboard......X Rules
  5. ExodusC

ExodusC New Member

I had a Nexus One before my D2G, and I absolutely love the keyboard on the D2G, it's a definite advantage.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using the DroidForums App.
  6. patfactorx

patfactorx New Member

Yeah my wife especially wants the keyboard. Onscreen is weaksauce
  7. leftcoastsrt04

leftcoastsrt04 New Member

She wanted a keyboard and forgets she has it... Women....

8. speltrong

speltrong New Member

The X shoots 720p video. D2G doesn't. D2G has a better (5mp) still camera, though. If the X had been Global, I would have stressed a lot about which one to get - they're both great phones.
  9. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Maybe to you, I see no use for it.
  10. Jordan8

Jordan8 New Member

+1 takes alil while to get use to a virtual keyboard coming from physical, definality much better once you do tho.

11. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast New Member

Bahahahahaha physical keyboard FTW! dancedroid
  12. speltrong

speltrong New Member

A good vertical keyboard is my favorite (Droid Pro, Blackberry, Blackjack, Treo). Not willing to give up the screen real estate for it anymore, but if I were a heavy device typer, I wouldn't be able to live without it. I was probably getting 50-60WPM on my Treo 650. Dropped to 2WPM as soon as I got my iPhone, slowly got used to it and probably got up to 20-30 at my best. Now I get about 15 on my two week old D2G. I hate how much distance is between the keys on a horizontal keyboard (slows typing way down), but it's still better than tapping the screen for me (even with haptics).
  13. jnashr

jnashr New Member

I thought the d2 and d2g had the same camera as the d1......if so, then I assure you it does not have a better still camera. The camera on the d1 sucked for anything that did not have optimal lighting.
  14. speltrong

speltrong New Member

Yes, the D1 camera sucked, and the Droid X is in the same boat because those dumbasses catered to the marketers that wanted a larger megapixel number to slap on their box. With current sensor tech, cramming more than 5MP into a (physically) tiny sensor means more noise and worse low-light performance. The images I've shot with my Droid 2 Global are way better than anything I've seen out of my friends' Droid X (or either of my D1 friends' phones) especially in low-light conditions with no flash. I believe the D2G has built-in image stabilization where the X doesn't - that also may be a factor.

I don't know whether it's because of a new chip, new lens, or new software (or some combination), but the image quality I get out of my D2G is great for a phone, and I've heard nothing but complaints from all my friends with DXs and D1s
  15. jbdow

jbdow New Member

Interesting info about the camera comparison - i would have thought 8mp would
    just have to be better than 5... and btw i love the physical keyboard too - more buttons
    to push...:)
  16. speltrong

speltrong New Member

It took me a long time and a ton of research to get my head around the whole megapixel thing. You'll notice that camera manufacturers like Canon finally convinced their marketing department to stop the whole stupid megapixel war because it started seriously hurting the reviews of the cameras. The flagship Canon G10 had 14.7MP which was ridiculous. The next rev (G11) used a 10MP sensor which destroyed the G10 in image quality and low light tests. Each image also consumed 1/3 less space because there was less useless bloated artifact-ridden data. What they really need to work on instead is allowing for larger and/or more efficient sensor tech and better lenses.

Sorry about derailing the point of this thread <sheepish>, camera tech is just something I'm passionate about. :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
  17. ExodusC

ExodusC New Member

I used to have an iPhone 3G, which in my opinion has a superior keyboard to Android's. After that, I had a Nexus One.

I love the physical keyboard on the Droid 2 Global. The typing experience is just so much better than any virtual keyboard I've used, in my opinion.

Swype is a different story-- I still use it on my D2G if I need to shoot a quick text with one hand or something. It's certainly better in some situations compared to a regular virtual keyboard.

Having the physical keyboard also makes my phone feel like a portable computer rather than a phone, for some reason. That's all purely subjective, though.
  18. captainoftheworld

captainoftheworld New Member

I had a 3GS and a 4 and the virtual keyboard is second to none, but I love the D2 hardware keyboard its the best of its kind
  19. Zraii

Zraii New Member

Wife and I both got D2G's a couple weeks ago. First smartphone for both of us.

I researched it and the faster processor and keyboard were the deciding factors. I knew the DX had a better camera but I'm also an amateur photographer and have a > $1000 camera rig to take pictures with.

My only complaint is battery life and GPS is not real strong indoors. On my wife's droid it seems her's has trouble outside too.

No complaints about the voice quality on my D2G. My very first cell phone was a Motorola and they produce superior phones.

To the OP, might be worth calling your service provider and asking them to upgrade you to the D2G in exchange for resetting your 2 year agreement with them? You might have to pay the $200 for the phone.
  20. speltrong

speltrong New Member

DX actually has a worse camera. 8MP is too dense for a cameraphone sensor. More than 5MP in a sensor that size hurts the low-light capabilities and image quality and bloats the drive space the images take up. The D2G has some sort of anti-shake tech in it that the DX doesn't have which really helps in poor lighting conditions. I'm also an amateur photog, and actually like the images out of my D2G, where the ones in my friends' DXs kind of suck. Yes, all phone cameras are bad compared to my GF1 or D90 (esp. w/ a good prime lens :D), but if I don't have those on me, this one is sufficient for documenting events.

Battery life doesn't have to be bad if you're willing to do a little tinkering. I just plugged my D2G last night after 1 day 18 hours on a charge. Tons of info about that here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/111925-droid-2-global-battery-life.html
Search tags for this page

verizon amature phone pics