JB problem

mandroid123

Reaction score
Just updated to jb and my wi-fi no longer works. I've rebooted several times. It is constantly connecting and it says signal strength is poor even though I'm sitting right next to it. I double checked with my computer and it is on the other side of the house, it connected no problem with full signal strength. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if this was discussed elsewhere.

There is no spoon

What is the model num of the router you are trying to connect? Between my home, office and gym I have tried 5 different routers and they all works fine. Older routers tend to be incompatible when never features are added to the phone. There were similar issues reported on iphone not working on older routers.

DB21

Reaction score
I'm having the same wifi problem after updating. My phone keeps trying to connect, but never does.

devdeuce

Reaction score
What is the model num of the router you are trying to connect? Between my home, office and gym I have tried 5 different routers and they all works fine. Older routers tend to be incompatible when never features are added to the phone. There were similar issues reported on iphone not working on older routers.

It may be an older model, but it worked flawlessly on ics. GT701-WG.

There is no spoon

Dingbat

Reaction score
Mine is a Embarq 660. Mty tablet got JB yesterday and it works fine. I went to Moto's chat line and they had me do a bunch of things that did not work. They escalated it to Level 2 but I could not follow through yet because they want me to have a wifi or 3G connection so they can tap into the Razr MAXX and see what is going on. I'll report back. I warned the nice fellow that he'd be getting more of these calls.

devdeuce

Reaction score
Mine is a Embarq 660. Mty tablet got JB yesterday and it works fine. I went to Moto's chat line and they had me do a bunch of things that did not work. They escalated it to Level 2 but I could not follow through yet because they want me to have a wifi or 3G connection so they can tap into the Razr MAXX and see what is going on. I'll report back. I warned the nice fellow that he'd be getting more of these calls.

Thanks Dingbat. Anxious to see what comes of it. I wrote them and they just said to power off phone and back on again and do the same with router. First things i tried before even posting.

There is no spoon

DB21

Reaction score
I also called Verizon this morning and was then put on the line with Motorola at two different levels. After forgetting the network and trying again, doing a factory reset on the phone, unplugging the router and turning it back on, and more, a request was then sent to a level 3 technician who is supposed to call back to address the issue. I haven't heard anything yet.

I realized after being on the phone with support that my bluetooth is also no longer working since the update. Is anyone else having this problem in addition to the wifi not working?

devdeuce

Reaction score
I haven't tried Bluetooth because i actually don't have anything to connect to. So it may or may not. That wasn't really helpful at all.

There is no spoon

Dingbat

Reaction score
Went to the store and my Maxx worked on their wifi system so it may be a router compatibility issue. Strange that my Samsung Tablet (which also got JB yesterday) works on my router but not Maxx.

devdeuce

Reaction score
Went to the store and my Maxx worked on their wifi system so it may be a router compatibility issue. Strange that my Samsung Tablet (which also got JB yesterday) works on my router but not Maxx.

That's kinda what it sounded like on other forums, but does it make sense to release an update that makes things less compatible. It doesn't to me.

There is no spoon

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Not the advice anyone wants to hear but it will be the route that Verizon will end up taking (probably before they try anything else) and that moto will eventually take... have you done a factory data reset?

It is highly advisable that any time you upgrade to a new os, change roms, etc that you do an fdr. There are often remnants of data and settings from the old os that conflict with the new os which in turn causes lag, battery drain, apps & programs not working properly.

Also, before you take it to Verizon for a fix, it is a good idea to do an fdr first. That way you can control and ensure you have saved/backed up what you want backed up and you can also tell Verizon the fdr has already been done.

Follow the tips in this post for ideas on backing up before doing an fdr & restoring after...
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/219101-getting-most-success-upgrading-ics-gb.html

In addition to the tips in that post, I recommend saving the contents of both sdcards (internal & external storage) to a pc. Takes a while depending on your pc and the size of what's being saved but it provides a little peace of mind.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

devdeuce

Reaction score
Not the advice anyone wants to hear but it will be the route that Verizon will end up taking (probably before they try anything else) and that moto will eventually take... have you done a factory data reset?

It is highly advisable that any time you upgrade to a new os, change roms, etc that you do an fdr. There are often remnants of data and settings from the old os that conflict with the new os which in turn causes lag, battery drain, apps & programs not working properly.

Also, before you take it to Verizon for a fix, it is a good idea to do an fdr first. That way you can control and ensure you have saved/backed up what you want backed up and you can also tell Verizon the fdr has already been done.

Follow the tips in this post for ideas on backing up before doing an fdr & restoring after...
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/219101-getting-most-success-upgrading-ics-gb.html

In addition to the tips in that post, I recommend saving the contents of both sdcards (internal & external storage) to a pc. Takes a while depending on your pc and the size of what's being saved but it provides a little peace of mind.

DB21 said in his post that he did a factory reset and it didn't work.

There is no spoon

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
DB21 said in his post that he did a factory reset and it didn't work.

There is no spoon

Eek, that's not good! His could be a router issue also. Still a good idea to do an fdr.

In addition, router's also provide frequent software & driver updates to keep current with the latest technology. Add a check to make sure that the router's drivers and software are updated.

MasterGadgets

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help but go to system settings, wifi, settings, advanced and uin-check "Avoid poor connections"
See if that will help.