JB install keeps failing.

bbp

Reaction score
I have downloaded the update twice, both times the update failed during the installation. My phone is stock no root. Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks
Bbp

OP
B

bbp

Reaction score
I get the same notification. I wonder since my phone is a Refurb that could be a problem?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
First, you must be fully stock, no apps frozen, deleted, disabled. No apps installed as system apps that weren't on the phone from the factory, and no mods to the system like the Hotspot hack. THEN, you MUST be sure which version you are currently running. There are TWO updates out there...one for the 6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US Ice Cream Sandwich phones and the other for the Christmas Eve (Festivus for the restofus) Jelly Bean leak version 98.72.8.XT912.Verizon.en.US. See this thread; http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-maxx-tester-s-hands-files-available-now.html

If you try to install the wrong version it WILL fail.

Then, you must make sure the version you download is a good copy with no download errors.

Finally, you should at least try a Factory Data Restore and try upgrading one more time before resorting to the option below that fits your phone.

If you do all of the above and you are unsuccessful, and you ARE on .211, then it's time to do a Fastboot back to .211 and start over using the Droid RAZR Utility Version 1.82 by Matt Groff.

If you do all of the above and you are unsuccessful, and you ARE on .8, then it's time to think about soft-bricking to start over. See THIS thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ricked-after-reverting-jelly-bean-update.html for the step by step instructions. For me, I had to do this and it worked, but it was a bit hair-raising. You are essentially making the phone completely unusable for a period of time, then recovering from that state of brickdom to flash back to a working OS, then doing the upgrade. It's an extreme choice but it works.

Last edited:
OP
B

bbp

Reaction score
Thanks, I went though and enabled all the apps I had disabled. I've been downloading from the system settings and it hasn't given me an option of which to download. Do I have to download again or is the file saved somewhere so I can just try and install again?

eddie7

Reaction score
Anyone know what all the "stock apps" are? I install the update under about phone, system update and it aborts a couple of minutes into install.

mybowtie

Reaction score
How do you switch between the update because i get the wrong one and cant figure out how to get the other one

rpdonaldrazr

Reaction score
If you guys are talking about the OTA being faulty then I would give either moto or Verizon a call. Having Verizon's bloat disabled shouldn't matter.

I have several apps disabled and the OTA installed just fine.

mekanism

Reaction score
Mine failed too, but I forgot to temp unroot first. Where is the ota file kept? Can we just update from the file if found?

mekanism

Reaction score
To find your disabled apps go to settings/apps/ALL/ then scroll all the way to the bottom to find the disabled apps and enable them one by one.

Reaction score
I agree with foxkat...before updating you should unroot if rooted and do a factory reset then do the ota update.

YelloEye

Reaction score
I have various apps disabled in managed apps, rooted, and have the stock hotspot hack. Just temp unrooted and updated, everything still works just as it did on the Christmas eve leak.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Remember any changes that you have made to your phone will more than likely cause the update to fail. If you can't remember exactly what you changed then your best bet might be flashing the stock image using Matt's Utility. Just make sure you back up anything you don't want to lose. I went back to bone stock using my stock back-up in recovery but it still would not take. The only thing left that would have been stopping the install is custom recovery installed via bootstrap. I had the same issue with my Nexus 7. Custom recovery will not allow you to take OTA updates.