JB Bugs - Alarm and Ringer randomly stops working

thenicestguy24

Reaction score
Randomly the sound stops working for audible alert notifications. When you lock screen, it clicks, and that audible sound works....however the text/calendar/phone call alerts don't work, they vibrate. I can then move the slider on the locked screen from sound to vibrate, then back to sound and it all works....for a little while. Then all the sudden even though sound is still enabled, all text/call/email/calendar items vibrate....however if you lock screen, it still gives the audible click, but that is the only audible sould that works until you toggle to vibrate, then back to sound.

This is a company phone used for on-call, if I get a call at 3 in the morning, I need to be woken up by the tone, with this bug, this isn't possible.

Randomly the phone will change times even though I am no where close to where a time zone change is. So the time will change back, but the alarm still uses the other time zones time. This causes the alarm to be off an hour...even though the time on the screen is correct. For instance 2 days ago, instead of the alarm going off at 6:30 as it was scheduled, it went off at 5:30 current time, even though the alarm was set to 6:30 and it was currently 5:30 and the phone showing 5:30, the alarm still went off an hour early??? WTF?? This for sure has to do with the phone auto switching to a different timezone even though I am no where close to a time zone change.

EDIT:: Phone not root, 100% stock with VZW OTA JB update.

Also meant to note, that when the issue with the alarm happened, I set the time to manual, however I would like to have it auto change time zones for when I do travel, so that feature working again would be nice.

I think moto needs more testers before releasing products.

Last edited:

Spey

Reaction score
Experienced the same issues related to the Time/AutoTime.

Random Time Changes on the device (I only saw this happen a couple times, but who know how many times it happened without my notice). I immediately, set time to Manual and plan to leave it there (not because I think this is a bug in the device and/or the programming, but because I feel there are too many other inherent problems related to auto-time-zone-switching on a device that is used to manage calendar appointments and times across multiple time zone travel - examples in second paragraph).

In the past I had lots of problems with a phone/data management device that changed time-zones on me. Example: travel to alternate time zone, phone auto-switches for me - thank you smart-phone. Problem is all my appointments have also changed based on the time-zone change. So, for example, I get a call from home time-zone (while in travel time-zone) that requires me to set appointment for home time-zone for 8am next morning. Because I set the appointment while device was in alternate time zone, the 8am appointment in calendar will be off based on how many time-zones I am away fro home-zone. For me, it has always seemed more accurate to typically leave my device on one time-zone (and not auto-switch anything time related except for DST). Now throw into the mix, my Outlook Calendar is auto-syncing with Google and other devices like my laptop, etc. ... The "smart device" can not be smart enough, unless the user is smarter ...

Screen Lock Shutting Down Alarms/ Notifications:
I have had this happen a couple times, but I feel it was because or a change I inadvertently made on the device, and/or related to an app taking control and my not being on top of it. If ringer, calendar event, email, SMS, etc. notification is on, it's been my experience that Screen Lock does not change how my notification is delivered to me (ringer rings, vibrates, LED flash, etc.).

Last edited:
OP
T

thenicestguy24

Reaction score
Experienced the same issues related to the Time/AutoTime.

Random Time Changes on the device (I only saw this happen a couple times, but who know how many times it happened without my notice). I immediately, set time to Manual and plan to leave it there (not because I think this is a bug in the device and/or the programming, but because I feel there are too many other inherent problems related to auto-time-zone-switching on a device that is used to manage calendar appointments and times across multiple time zone travel - examples in second paragraph).

In the past I had lots of problems with a phone/data management device that changed time-zones on me. Example: travel to alternate time zone, phone auto-switches for me - thank you smart-phone. Problem is all my appointments have also changed based on the time-zone change. So, for example, I get a call from home time-zone (while in travel time-zone) that requires me to set appointment for home time-zone for 8am next morning. Because I set the appointment while device was in alternate time zone, the 8am appointment in calendar will be off based on how many time-zones I am away fro home-zone. For me, it has always seemed more accurate to typically leave my device on one time-zone (and not auto-switch anything time related except for DST). Now throw into the mix, my Outlook Calendar is auto-syncing with Google and other devices like my laptop, etc. ... The "smart device" can not be smart enough, unless the user is smarter ...

Screen Lock Shutting Down Alarms/ Notifications:
I have had this happen a couple times, but I feel it was because or a change I inadvertently made on the device, and/or related to an app taking control and my not being on top of it. If ringer, calendar event, email, SMS, etc. notification is on, it's been my experience that Screen Lock does not change how my notification is delivered to me (ringer rings, vibrates, LED flash, etc.).

I agree with your manually setting it if you do alot of travel. I don't. I go riding 4 wheelers out of state for vacation about 4 times a year, vegas once a year, and that's it.

I am CST. I took my phone with me to Vegas in October, and on ICS all time changes worked with no problem, went from CST to EST to PST all in 1 day and I had no issues at all, stayed out there a week, came back went from PST to EST to CST and still, no issues, 4 hour layover and phone time was right in time zone change....so it works great with no issues. The same month, I went to EST for about 4 days on a 4 wheeler jamboree, again, no issues at all, with alarm, calendar, nothing.

But this was on ICS. Now since I have had JB, I haven't traveled out of CST at all and it can't keep up with the time. It is a JB bug, imo.

For the ringer, I am not saying it has ANYTHING to do with the screenlock. I mention that because that is how u can easily turn the phone from vibrate to sound and I also mentioned it because when this bug happens, the "click" is still audible when you lock the screen, yet no notifications are audible, they all vibrate, even though sound is enabled. Point is, strange that it can make the audible click when locking the screen, but it can't make any audible noises for notifications.

Again, bug in JB, never had this issue on ICS.

ICS is super solid and stable, JB is a red-headed stepchild that never listens to anything that is said to them.