Java

mrnelson86

Reaction score
Where would one learn Java? Since it seems to be a prerequisite for learning Android...I would like to learn it (for the least cost possible) in my free time. Where should I get started?

Edit: I'm also trying to learn Linux (by converting my old(er) laptop to an Ubuntu machine, so any tips on that would help as well!

Firegrl

Reaction score
I'm in this same boat as well. I was a programmer by trade a couple years ago, and haven't had to do so in a couple of years.

I'm trying to find as many java tutorials and information about object oriented programming (much easier to learn java if you understand this) on the web as I can.

I'm going through the videos here right as we speak: Eclipse and Java for Total Beginners. I like this tutorial because he's using Eclispe to show you Java.

I'm also looking at books through Amazon since their reviews are usually pretty accurate on if a book is going to be useful or not. So far, I have two on my list:

Head First Java - for the basics

Java How to Program - for the more in-depth

Hope this helps!

And please, if anyone knows java and has some good ideas of where to start, please add it to this thread!

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I highly suggest the 'Bible' series books. Don't be intimidated by their enormous size, and if you want to learn Android specifically i would recommend a book called Hello, Android that covers writing code for 1.5 and 1.6