1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Java help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by ilikemoneygreen, Aug 24, 2012.

1. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen New Member

What am I doing wrong? i cant seem to get the second dialog box to popup to enter the value. I could get it to work just in the command prompt using System.out.print but its not working out with the dialog box.
    Code:
    /**Area of rectangle *//* ilikemoneygreen
     * CIS163 29843
     * August 24, 2012
     */
     import java.util.Scanner; // scanner package
     import javax.swing.JOptionPane;
     public class RectangleArea {
         public static void main(String[] args) {
             //input the length and width
             Scanner input = new Scanner(System.in);

//prompt user for length
             JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Enter the length : " , "Length" , JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);
             double length = input.nextDouble();
             //Prompt user for Width
             JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Enter the width : " , "Width" , JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);
             double width = input.nextDouble();

//calculate area
             double area = length * width;
             //Display the results
             System.out.println("The area of a Rectangle with a width of " + width + " and a length of " + length + " is " + area); 
         }
     }
    If you help me, ill give you a cyber hug. :hail:
  2. smokeyrd

smokeyrd New Member

Im having flashbacks to middle school and programming my TI81...not the 83, not the 83+, not the silver edition...the 81. Unfortunately Im not quite sure where you are going wrong...The code looks good to me but Im by no means a java guy. Is it giving you any output at all?
  3. ilikemoneygreen

lol, i cant say ive ever seen an 81. sounds like you had fun with it though. My friend was obsessed with his calc, he played doom in class i think then the teacher wiped it all away. :biggrin:
    and the out i get is it does the first dialog box. I then input a number and hit enter then nothing happens, it hangs. Im thinking its a logic error, which are usually a pain.....
  4. smokeyrd

smokeyrd New Member

I learned early on to archive my apps...that way when they wipe, the app stays. Great for having cheat sheets :cool-b: In any case, sorry...Im drawing a blank. This is the reason I hate coding. I hope someone else can be of assistance here.
  5. ilikemoneygreen

im confident someone on here will know. this forum is quite a few nerdy people. :biggrin: