Japan's Softbank Maybe Planning to acquire Sprint for $12 billion; Sprint Stock Soars

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sprint-softbank.jpeg

An industry shakeup may be headed our way. Industry intel indicates that the Japanese carrier Softbank is in advanced talks to acquire Sprint. Several different reputable news agencies including Reuters and the Wall Street Journal reported today that Softbank is in final negotiations to purchase the Now Network for 1 trillion yen (about $12.8 billion US dollars). Of course, this news sent Sprint's stock soaring. It is up over 17% already. This is on top of the fact that it has already doubled in value in just a year.

This news could mean a lot of things for Sprint. For one, it could bring an influx of infrastructure capital to help improve their current network and push out Sprint's new LTE network even faster (even though they are already ahead of schedule). It could also mean that we might finally start seeing some of that unique high-end gadgetry that only seems to come out in Japan.

Of course, the most desirable outcome would be an influx of advertising dollars for Sprint. This way, the company could get even more aggressive and potentially start stealing more marketshare from AT&T and Verizon. If that happened, then those other two behemoths might be more inclined to start getting competitive with their pricing again. What do you guys think? (besides wishing that you had bought some Sprint stock last year.)

Source: Engadget

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about a foreign company buying a U.S. company. Not sure this is good news. Having foreign control over a U.S. carrier gives me the "willies". We see what Vodafone has done with Verizon Wireless. :icon_eek:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Softbank is the 3rd largest carrier in Japan with over 30,000,000 subscribers. Only NTT Docomo and KDDI AU are ahead of it.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about a foreign company buying a U.S. company. Not sure this is good news. Having foreign control over a U.S. carrier gives me the "willies". We see what Vodafone has done with Verizon Wireless. :icon_eek:
What about T-Mobile? That's a foreign owned company, and they are very popular here and very competitive.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
45% of Verizon wireless is owned by vodafone. So it isn't that big of a deal to have an good chunk of an American company be owned by a foreign company.

swc2001

Reaction score
Agreed!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

excepting of course that plans and phones in japan are much better than what we get here in the states, maybe having a japanese company with their hands in our mobile phone market will increase the amount of awesome gadgets AND make other companies more competitive

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
excepting of course that plans and phones in japan are much better than what we get here in the states, maybe having a japanese company with their hands in our mobile phone market will increase the amount of awesome gadgets AND make other companies more competitive

This.