Japan crisis

souljerr

Reaction score
Agree with the comments here that the distance and the rain will hopefully dissipate the radiation.

This is one of the first times I've felt a huge need to donate to the red cross and help - earthquake, tsunami, volcano and nuclear meltdown!!

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
I agree however on the other hand, my daughter and the marching band is in Japan about 500 miles south of Tokyo so I am concerned for her safety

Survived another tsunami...Aloha from Hawaii!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your daughter, her marching band, and the rest of Japan. When is she due to return home? Have you heard from her? Is she and the band safe?

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
thank u! she returns on the 27th and I finally heard from her today for about 45 seconds. but now she can use her cell phone to call free.

piquat

Reaction score
We touched off oooooooodles of atomic weapons in the Nevada desert. Granted, it didn't do anybody any good, but we didn't all fall over dead.

Perspective...

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
the bank I work for has donated 100s of thousands to the Japan Red Cross. speaking of volcano, I live in Hawaii where Kilauea volcano has been erupting over 25 years. and we've been exposed to the fumes on a daily basis. when southern winds kick up its very very awful

Agree with the comments here that the distance and the rain will hopefully dissipate the radiation.

This is one of the first times I've felt a huge need to donate to the red cross and help - earthquake, tsunami, volcano and nuclear meltdown!!

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
We touched off oooooooodles of atomic weapons in the Nevada desert. Granted, it didn't do anybody any good, but we didn't all fall over dead.

Perspective...

yes that would be one way to look at it.. but the amount of enriched and depleted uranium at the plant is a lot greater then what was in any test nuke.
& parts of Nevada are fenced off due to radiation.

if you look at the pacific ocean's currents in google they go straight from japan to cali.

Gritwater

Reaction score
Geography lesson.... alaska is closer and would be affected first.

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving. Thankyou Tapatalk

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I was near Chernobyl when disaster struck in 1986 , and I was there for a while . I still have all my teeth , hair and a perfect health . This is nothing .
I also wear a radioactive tritium keyring and a radioactive light source that will illuminate for 40 years . Radiation is my friend :))

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
another lesson, the pacific oceans currents point away from Alaska, it would hit cali then maybe Alaska ... lol

piquat

Reaction score

Perspective...

yes that would be one way to look at it.. but the amount of enriched and depleted uranium at the plant is a lot greater then what was in any test nuke.
& parts of Nevada are fenced off due to radiation.

if you look at the pacific ocean's currents in google they go straight from japan to cali.

Bolded the important part. Between us, the russians, the French etc., there wasn't a "test nuke", there were "test nukes". Almost 2000 of them actually. In addition to that, every last bit of radioactive material from every one of those tests was scattered into the environment (under ground, under water, doesn't matter). In this situation, only a fraction will be lost to the environment (hopefully).

The Russians were working with a graphite moderated reactor with basically NO containment. Different situation.

mikemosquito

Reaction score
IIIII HAAAAAVVE THE POWERRRRR!!!! Wait. What I really meant to say was: Power restored. So glad the $250 in groceries we had just purchased last nite didnt go to waste. It was a clear improvement to feel the shakes on the 2nd floor vs the 8th floor. No swaying. What sucks is that TODAY was supposed to be the day that our stuff from TX gets moved in. That's been temporarily postponed to Monday. We are safe and well.

Cliff notes:
omfg what a nite
it was midnite and our cell phones have an Earthquake warning built in. They both went off and my wife n i stood still in anticipation
n then the apt ****ing rocked the **** out
omg we all stood by the doorway and sophia was in her crib passedout like a log LOL
she slept thru it
n then we lost power
we just got power back on a minute ago :icon_ banana:
we had just spent $250 in groceries last nite too.

rudydroid

Reaction score
That's a long way. Time distance and shielding is the best defense against Rad. We have 2 on our side.

Sent from my smacked out Droid 1

hmm, where have I heard time, distance and shielding, before. perhaps where I also heard dilution is the solution.
worked 6 years in navy nuclear power, 11 years in navy civilian nuclear power, and a year in commercial nuclear power and have been exposed to radiation as part of the daily routine in all of those jobs, though no more. I quit.
I'm not worried in the least. I live in the southeast desert of california, but I wouldn't worry if I lived in alaska or hawaii.
I would not want to be anywhere in northern japan.
if I were elsewhere in japan I would remain as far from the affected area as humanly possible, though I would not go to japan for any reason because of the logistics problems: xportation, food, water, electricity, etc.
to the poster with the daughter over there, it's highly unlikely she'll be exposed to anything more than normal background radiation (from the earth, cosmos, building material and people).
having said all this, I feel quite sorry for the japanese workers fighting the problems at those nuclear power plants. they're doing things I used to do.

rooted, on liberty 2.0.1, slightly oc'd