January Android Nexus Security Updates Factory Images are Live

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-security-update.png

The most recent Nexus factory images with the January Android security update are now available to download. This is Version number MMB29S for the Nexus 5, 6, and 9 (Wi-Fi and LTE). Also included is the MMB29O for the Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi and LTE), build MMB29P which is the latest version available for the Nexus 5X and 6P, and the new MMB29T update for the Nexus Player.

The update addresses 5 that are classed as critical, 5 moderately severe problems and 2 of high importance. These security patches are still based on Android 6.0.1, so that hasn't changed. For those who want to grab it manually, just hit up the link above. Otherwise, you can be on the lookout for the OTA to hit your corresponding device within the next couple weeks.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Nice. These security updates are coming in often.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Huh?

Sent from my Nexus 6P
They say they are finding all these security flaws and pushing updates for them. But I'm curious as to how many of the issues are actual security issues requiring updates and how much of it is just placebo effect....

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
They offer a bounty on security flaws anyone can find. You find & report an exploit, you get paid.

Can't imagine they'd issue OTA updates monthly as a placebo. Seems like quite a bit of effort for nothing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
They offer a bounty on security flaws anyone can find. You find & report an exploit, you get paid.

Can't imagine they'd issue OTA updates monthly as a placebo. Seems like quite a bit of effort for nothing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
No way they would waste their time with a placebo update. Bandwidth alone will cost them serious cash.