I've got 2.2.1 but lost File Space, Help?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by a_bug, Dec 23, 2010.

1. a_bug

a_bug New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First, I have to thank all the posters in this forum. I could not have learned/done what I have w/out the time and patience in explaining everything. So thank you (and my droid 1 running @ 1Ghz thanks you ).

With that out of the way, I hate to sound like all the other noobs (Even though I'm one step up from a noob - Noob Plus?), but I'm not sure if this has been asked (or answered) before, but here goes nothing.

Ok short version: I grabbed myself a copy of FRG83D-Deodexed-m1. I renamed it update.zip and put it in the root of my SD Card. Booting to SPRecovery i then updated with that update.

It seems I did mostly ok. I'm still rooted, and i've got 2.2.1.

My only problem is that now I've run out of space on my device?!?!?!? Even before i did this Using Titanium Backup, moved as many of the larger apps to the SD card (not the critical/important ones mind you, the games and other non-critical apps).

But where before the update i was about 15% free (not great but do-able), i'm not at around 6% free, and i'm not able to get text messages. I tried looking for apps taking up space, but again most of the biggies are already on my SD card.

The only thing i could think is that the Update file i used to update to 2.2.1 was about 76MB. So that must have moved from the SD card onto my device. Is there anyway to clean up any older update/ROM Files to give me back my space?

Is this normal? Did i do something wrong?

Please help (if at all possible).

Thanks again for all your help,

A (Rooted, but lacking in space) Bug

2. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +713
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    Boot into recovery and wipe data and cache and reflash the ROM. Will have to reactivate and all that, but your apps will come back and titanium can restore any data you need for the apps.

Sent from somewhere...

3. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Do a full wipe -- your Dalvik is probably as clogged as a frathouse toilet or a werewolf's shower drain. :)

If you've already done that please let us know so we can troubleshoot you further.

4. a_bug

a_bug New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So how did my clog my Dalvik anyway?

Ok, it sounds like you both have the same suggestion. <sigh>

OK so I don't make this mistake again, what did I do to make this happen -- Or what should I not do to make sure it doesn't happen?

If only titanium would back-up everything at once - I must be doing something wrong b/c I seem to have to manually back-up most of my applications.

Oh well, if that's what I must do. . .so be it. . .but at least i'll start off with the more up-to-date metiCkMod-FRG83Dv0.3 ROM.

Thanks again for your helps,

A (resigned) Bug :|

5. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +358
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    The free version of Ti Backup doesn't do batches. That's one of the reasons why it's worth paying for if you need it. :)

As for clearing your Dalvik, the only way I like to do it is via Terminal, but you can use Root Explorer, you just need to find it.

Here are the codes and, interestingly enough, the locations you can find your Dalvik. The first reboot will take some time, though.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...ting-observations-rooted-only.html#post828123

As for a full wipe, boot into recovery and do a full wipe/system reset. You'll lose everything extra to the ROM (contacts, sms messages, etc) but free up oodles of space. Your contacts should restore from Google and your apps should start downloading again.

6. a_bug

a_bug New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, before seeing the latest post, i went ahead and bit the bullet.

I went into SPRecovery, and then I cleared the data and cache. Then ran the latest 2.2.1 (stripped down version). And yes I went through everything in TI and backed it up.

Well, its taken a bit of time, but i'm back up and running. I now have a ton of space (44% free).

Yea! Mostly - it was still a bit of a pain to get everything back the way it was, but I guess that comes with the territory of playing around in the dark areas of the android neighborhood.

So just to be sure, there is nothing in particular i need to do with to Dalvik to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks again for your help and patients.

A(free spaced) bug

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

7. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +358
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    It's a good idea to clear your Dalvik every couple of weeks. There are three reasons for this:

One, much like the Registry on your PC, the bigger the cache the longer it takes for any one app to execute because the JIT compiler looks through that to find the data it needs in order to execute the launch command.

Two, arguably, a more current cache will run faster.

Three, it eats up space that can otherwise be used for ANYTHING else. :)