Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacksantron

Reaction score
Great read, bro

Sent from my Supercharged Chainfired Cyanogenated DROID X @ 1.25

Jason.DROID

Reaction score
Sad but true. It was the norm for PC games to also come in Beta form. Now that consoles have caught up and offer DLCs and game patches, they too are suffering instead of being polished pretty well (albeit with minor bugs) before release.

There's a pressure to get the product out and make money. On the hardware side, though, the pace is blistering. There are dozens of devices being developed now even though the latest and greatest has already been released. I'm afraid that that won't work.

The one thing Apple has in its favor is uniformity. Android has fragmentation and lots of it. Some features on Android may be broken on some devices and not others. Some devices may get upgraded, while others don't. Apple releases a standardized update, and yes, sometimes it breaks older devices functionality - but Google needs ICS now more than ever. If we want the newest Android OS, we should be able to have it as a standardized upgrade across any manufacturer and/or hardware configuration. Though it'll be doubly important not to break any devices functionality.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Lol, how is that a troll title? Seems to fit quite perfectly with the article IMO...

Reaction score
Article doesn't mention the Droid X2 at all. Therefore your placing it here and not in a general tech forum is trolling and you know it. You are making a backhand comment about your Droid X2.

Dude if you are that unsatisfied with your droid then take it down to the nearest Verizon shop and demand a replacement with another phone. Tell them they can't provide good service and you feel it is a breach of contract and demand to drop service.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Article doesn't mention the Droid X2 at all. Therefore your placing it here and not in a general tech forum is trolling and you know it. You are making a backhand comment about your Droid X2.

Dude if you are that unsatisfied with your droid then take it down to the nearest Verizon shop and demand a replacement with another phone. Tell them they can't provide good service and you feel it is a breach of contract and demand to drop service.

Backhanded? No, not at all! I've openly discussed my disappointment with the X2 several times on this board. That's a great suggestion by the way, why didn't I think of that? Ah yes, I did. Twice. And all 3 have had the same problem. And though it isn't directly mentioned, I'd be willing to bet it was one motivation for this guy to write the article.

In any case, sorry if you don't approve of my disappointment with this phone. I just thought other X2 users who have the same unsolved issues as me might find it interesting. Sue me.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great read, and legitimate points. I will say that that is one area where Apple used to rule. Problem is even Apple is starting to feel like they have to keep up. Android can do so much more, but is buggier than iOS. So then Apple feels they have to keep up with Android's innovations, and they could start rushing things out as well. We'll see I guess...

One thing is for sure, as much as I love Android, you'll never see an acore process error causing the phone itself to be rendered useless without a factory reset on a stock iPhone. The point about it not having all the features, but "just working", is a very legitimate one. I'm to the point now where I'll take reliability in core functions over a ton of features, any day.

Ihatepullups

Reaction score
You guys just don't appreciate android's true potential. While the "beta culture" is a valid point, part of the fun of being on android is the freedom. Yeah, there are bugs. But you get to fix them. You get to mess with your phone. You can go under the hood and tweak to your hearts content. I've got friends who consider themselves true computer nerds but don't know how their iphones work. I got news for you, if you don't know how your smartphone which is becoming the new personal computer in this day and age, if you don't know how your smartphone works under the hood, then you're not a true nerd. If you want something that just works, go get an iphone. You can live in your walled garden and feel like you're in a straight jacket every time you mess with your phone. But me, I'd rather have the most technologically advanced phone with buggy software that I have to (more like get to) fix then an iphone. Because the freedom to me is worth more than the safety of "it just works."

A man not knowing how his phone works is like a man who doesn't know how his car works, or how to change a tire.

Sent from my pre rooted ginger bread, custom themed DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
You guys just don't appreciate android's true potential. While the "beta culture" is a valid point, part of the fun of being on android is the freedom. Yeah, there are bugs. But you get to fix them. You get to mess with your phone. You can go under the hood and tweak to your hearts content. I've got friends who consider themselves true computer nerds but don't know how their iphones work. I got news for you, if you don't know how your smartphone which is becoming the new personal computer in this day and age, if you don't know how your smartphone works under the hood, then you're not a true nerd. If you want something that just works, go get an iphone. You can live in your walled garden and feel like you're in a straight jacket every time you mess with your phone. But me, I'd rather have the most technologically advanced phone with buggy software that I have to (more like get to) fix then an iphone. Because the freedom to me is worth more than the safety of "it just works."

A man not knowing how his phone works is like a man who doesn't know how his car works, or how to change a tire.

Sent from my pre rooted ginger bread, custom themed DROID X2 using DroidForums

You're right, but I don't see how this article means we don't appreciate one of Android's most defining characteristic: it's functionality. If anything, we're acknowledging it more than ever and are calling out the fat cats for not utilizing so much potential, not android itself.

Ihatepullups

Reaction score
Alright, I'm just saying. You can expect or wish for functionality from developers, but functionality does not give you an excuse to be ignorant in how things work.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Alright, I'm just saying. You can expect or wish for functionality from developers, but functionality does not give you an excuse to be ignorant in how things work.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Alright, well just saying I don't appreciate being called ignorant simply because I posted an article about changes in modern technology. If you think I'm an idiot solely because I posted this in the x2 forum, where lot's of people are having unsolved problems that may or may not directly correlate with this and are being directly avoided by both companies, then maybe that doesn't give you an excuse to be an ass. I'm not a droid forum guy, I only came here to look for help with my x2. Just saying. This argument is stupid though and I think you're just looking for a way to call someone out, as forum goers are wont to do (I seriously don't understand why you think I'm so ignorant on tech from posting an article, you should see what's inside my computer...which I built), so it should just end.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
This isn't a problem with the Motorola more specifically as it's a problem with the software/tech industry in general. The meaning of "beta" has shifted dramatically over the past 7 or 8 years.

Company's like Google who kept gmail in "beta" for years and years even though it didn't deserve the title are really to blame for this. People now have a different expectation for the word than what it really is supposed to be.

bradleonard

Reaction score

nline, your attack is unwarranted and frankly makes no sense. As K1ng said, he was merely bringing light to the bigger issue. These products are incomplete and we are paying big money to test them. I do appreciate the open nature of the platform, but basic functionality should be expected. Harry McCracken is an excellent tech writer and has nailed the issue in the industry. Good read.

Status
Not open for further replies.