It's that Time Already; Google Nexus 7 Tablet said to Infringe on Nokia Patent

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
patentwar.jpeg

That didn't take too long now did it? It appears Google's Nexus 7 tablet may infringe on at least one of Nokia’s registered patents, according to a patent expert. As everyone knows, Asus and Google are not affiliated with Nokia in any way, but the Nexus 7 Tablet does use some patented technology that Nokia owns. Specifically speaking, the technology is related to the IEEE 802.11 (Wi-Fi, or WLAN) standard. Florian Mueller of Foss Patents approached Nokia for comment on this and was told, in no uncertain terms, that "neither Asus [n]or Google is licensed under our patent portfolio." Nokia is one of the biggest players in the industry when it comes to patents. They are so large that even Apple took a royalty-bearing license. As it stands now, Google and Asus are not among the more than 40 licensees.

Will Google and Asus have to pay heavy licensing fee's to Nokia? That remains to be seen, but according to Mueller they should not have to fork over large sums of cash. Mueller says:

I don't know how much Nokia asks for, but since Nokia has so many licensees, there's every indication that its royalty demands are reasonably acceptable.

It is not known at the time of this writing if Google and Asus have approached Nokia but it looks like they have some homework to do.

Via Nexus Tablets

Last edited by a moderator:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
that was quick :icon_eek:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
So what, is Nokia claiming they invented 802.11 now? Because I see nothing "special" about the Nexus 7's wifi.

EDIT: If they end up having to pay a licensing fee, well, they are already losing money on each tablet. Knowing the way companies work these days, Google will probably end up raising the price to $249/8GB and $299/16GB

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Man..... none of these companies play nice lmaol :D

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I would sure like to know which patent it is. Lets face it, there are some very legitimate patents out there and the owners have the right to protect them...but soooooo many are soooooo bad its just sad.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Greatest article picture EVER. It totally sets the tone.

––––––––––––

Teacher: Class, I'd like you to meet our newest student...

***Slight Pause***

***FIGHT BREAKS OUT***

selex

Reaction score
How does Asus not have a license? I have an Asus motherboard with built in Wifi a/b/g/n which is a few years old. Did they change the standard? Florian Mueller has pointed out these "problematic" patents before and many of them aren't true. I take his "problems" with a grain of salt.

Selex

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
How does Asus not have a license? I have an Asus motherboard with built in Wifi a/b/g/n which is a few years old. Did they change the standard? Florian Mueller has pointed out these "problematic" patents before and many of them aren't true. I take his "problems" with a grain of salt.

Selex

Your mobo probably isn't as popular as the NEXUS 7 will be.

Let's face it. Companies only cry patent infringement when it's a popular product.

If Android or even Samsung wasn't as popular as it was now, do you all think Apple would be suing them as much?

dfcfu342

Reaction score
It's not even Nokia crying foul its a separate company. Sounds like someone is hoping to pull a reward out of this or something.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
So if Sammy or Moto made the tablet we would be good. But because Asus made the tablet Google is in the crosshairs? I guess this means the Asus Transformer tablets also infringed on Nokia's patents? Scandalous.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I can't stand Florian Mueller. He ate it hard with his Oracle vs Google bit. He works for Oracle and is so anti Google and ate his words when Google won in court haha.

NickSaul

Reaction score
I almost spit out my coffee when I read the title and saw the photo. lol

Amagine

Reaction score
I personally believe that all patents pertaining to 802.11 need to be pushed to standardization. This stuff is going to do nothing but clog the courts. Its getting pretty sick when you have patent trolls like Innovatio during McDonalds IBM and other big companies for using 802.11 Wi-Fi. But I have common sense not the greed to try to shake down companies for billions of dollars when I can't create a competitive product on my own. Wonder if RIM doesn't have some patent on cloud technology?

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Patent law needs a serious makeover. You never hear this much b*&!@#ing about different car manufactures stepping on each other's patents (even though these days most cars look so much alike you have to look for the logo to figure out what it is). Or furniture makers, or even donut shops. Imagine if only one shop could make their donuts round and another had to make their's square in order to avoid patent infringement or maybe only one could use sprinkles on their donuts. This is getting so dad-gum nit-picky and just plain petty.