It's Sitting in my Play Cart. Get it? (Battery Life Topic)

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Sorry for your loss.

Also, the back of the S6 Edge+ is made of glass. I'm not aware of any metal phone that supports wireless charging. I read an article somewhere that the tech exists, but hasn't been approved yet for use in consumer devices.
I've had a cover on it for so long, maybe I don't know what I got. LOL It looks like metal with glass on the top.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've had a cover on it for so long, maybe I don't know what I got. LOL It looks like metal with glass on the top.
Nope. Glass with a kind of sticker type thing on it. There was a video where someone took a Note 5 or something (same design principles) apart and removed the colored sticker, to reveal the insides.

It's got that metal frame around the sides, but the front and back are glass.

EDIT: Skip to 4:50 or so, he talks about the material. This isn't the clear back video, just a teardown. I tried to link it with the time at 4:50, but it didn't work.

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
"The choice of design materials also plays a role in the introduction of wireless charging to smartphones. Apple’s iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are constructed of aluminum, which can't support wireless charging technology.

“You can’t have inductive charging on an all-aluminum, all-metal back,” said Wayne Lam, IHS senior analyst. “That’s a big reason why the S6 has a glass back. If it was all metal, it physically couldn’t have happened.”

That answers that. I won't be purchasing an all metal phone then.

WERA689

Administrator
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
One+ One, Nexus 5
Consider that wired charging on this thing seems to be stupid fast! I put mine on charge last night at about 28%, and it was fully charged within an hour and a half! THAT was impressive! And with USB-C, plugging it in is a no-brainer...you don't even have to look at the plug for orientation!
I got a Qualcomm 2.0 rapid car charger for this...we'll see how well it does there...I hear that the Qualcomm 2.0 doesn't quick charge these phones. :(

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Consider that wired charging on this thing seems to be stupid fast! I put mine on charge last night at about 28%, and it was fully charged within an hour and a half! THAT was impressive! And with USB-C, plugging it in is a no-brainer...you don't even have to look at the plug for orientation!
I got a Qualcomm 2.0 rapid car charger for this...we'll see how well it does there...I hear that the Qualcomm 2.0 doesn't quick charge these phones. :(
Definitely interested to hear how that works ...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There's been some testing done. I think there may even be a thread on here with results. There are SOME chargers that will register as Rapid Charging that aren't the stock one that comes with the device, but not a whole lot.

The device doesn't support Qualcomm's standard, according to specs, but apparently if you have the proper power from the charger, it will still work. Though, I believe the power required is more than a Qualcomm charger puts out.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I cannot. Personally, now that I have a Qi charging device, it's really hard to go back to plugging it in. (I know it's not a metal issue, because my Edge + is metal. I just had a moment of stupidity.)
I've had a QI charging device with chargers for 2 years. I'm moving away from it. It's not the "fad" I thought it was. I personally won't miss it. Especially with 7 hours of battery in 15 minutes of fast charging. Faster than any QI charging can do.