It's no wonder people think customer service is dead

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Adam74, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Adam74

Adam74 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 7
    I have had an issue with my Galaxy S5 not ringing with incoming calls which I posted about in the S5 forums. So today, I finally got a second to go to a Verizon Store. So after waiting my turn for 40 minutes, a Store associate finally got to me. So I relay what I know to date. Phone doesn't consistently ring, slide to answer doesn't always show up, SD card corrupted, SD card was pulled (which never happened). So he looks at my phone for 20 seconds. He shows me the GSam screen that he has opened up. "What is this?" he asks. I tell him what it is. He then says that that must be the culprit and I should delete it. So right away, i know he's an idiot. Then he tells me that because the phone can monitor the battery, it is causing a conflict and not working properly. So just to clarify what he is saying, i ask him how a battery monitoring application, which I have had on 3 different android phones now, caused a phone to not ring? He tells me that is what is causing the issue and I should delete it. So after an admittedly insulting laugh, I tell him thanks for the tip. He ends by telling me I have no other options. He adds because my screen is different ( I have APEX launcher and zedge screens) they can't exchange it. I just look at him weird. So he explains further that due to my screens appearance, it is obvious I have altered the phone from how it was from the factory and they cannot exchange it. So now I'm getting angry. I ask him how an application, available from the play store can violate a warranty? How me customizing my phone, something android, by it's very nature, encourages, prohibits me from having a phone that works. So this genius is representing Verizon. Why??? I will try again after I enhance my calm. Thanks for letting me vent a bit.

2. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Wow.. Its sad they hire guys like that.. I would simply say.. The phone isn't rooted.. Therefore it's still under warranty.. And there's nothing else he can say or do.. A launcher doesn't alter warranty.. And really.. Its an age old argument.. But rooting a device shouldn't void the warranty either.. But vzw will claim it does...

He's wrong.. On all counts.. If you want a new phone...replacement... Call customer service.. Tell them about your experience.. They will of course want you to do a factory data reset to see if that clears up the issue.. After that.. Should it persist.. I'd bet they will send out a replacement.. BUT the fdr may fix your issue..

It sounds counterintuitive.. But I've had brand new phones operate poorly.. Dialer issues, force close core apps.. Until I did a factory data reset.. My turbo and my Maxx being devices that behaved that way..

• Like Like x 2
  3. Adam74

Adam74 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 7
    I appreciate you taking the time to view and respond. I am finally calming down a bit. Ha!! I appreciate the customer service tip. In my frustration, I had overlooked that. I will go that route as i have completed the Factory Reset with a little encouragement from another member on here, Johnny Kansas. And since I am on it, I really want to throw a big thanks to all the members on this forum who I see helping out the new and the experienced with regularity. Your help and shared knowledge has made a big difference to many. Thanks!

#3 Adam74, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  4. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    This site is nothing without you valued members.. That's what we're here for..and we learn from you guys, too. :)

Since you've done the fdr.. I'd call vzw and get a replacement on the way. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Adam74

Adam74 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 7
    I'm on it. Thanks again!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Adam74

Adam74 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 7
    Customer Support through verizon wireless.com was wonderful!!! AND they may have found the cause of my phone issues. The auto reject setting was jacked up. They said the last big update altered some defaults. If this fixes my problem, my vent led me to an answer!! Thanks 94 lt1!!! I'm guessing you have a vette in your backgroud.

#6 Adam74, Dec 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    There's a reason I rarely, if ever go to Verizon. A vast majority of the employees at my local store are iPhone users and know absolutely nothing about android. I don't think you need much knowledge about the devices themselves to get hired there. Just have a customer service background.

Glad you've found your solution though!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Also, to add to your post, it's my all-time favorite when you're dealing with some form of customer service rep and they do absolutely nothing at all to help you with your situation and then they ask, "Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

• Like Like x 1
  9. Adam74

Adam74 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 7
    I think you are onto something there. I remember a time when i had nothing but great things to say about my local store. Now, not so much. Come to think about it, the past several trips should have been a flag for me. I gave you a big shout out earlier in the thread! Sorry for misspelling Jonny though..

10. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,713
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Wow! That's about all I can say Adam. Congrats on your new S5! Sorry you had a crappy experience at Verizon. As suggested I would call them directly and ask for a replacement. I would do a factory data reset first as that is exactly what they will have you do, before replacing your phone. I'm surprised the Verizon rep didn't tell you this. I've been pretty fortunate to have some great folks working at our corporate store, even though I always go in there knowing a lot more than they do.
    Try the FDR and let us know if that helps. Good luck and keep us updated.

Update: Sorry, just noticed you tried an FDR from reading your other thread.

S5 tap'n

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Don't feel bad. I get that all the time. Staff here still do it and people in my daily life always want to throw an H in there. My mother named me Jonathan, so when it came time to shorten it, we never added an H where it didn't belong. I like to tell people, "My name isn't JoHHHHn" and really emphasize and sound out the H in person, but usually I just let it slide. I know who they're talking about.

I had a boss that spelled it with an H for like 3 months before another coworker asked her if she realized I didn't spell it that way. She asked why I never corrected her and I told her the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Adam74

Adam74 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 7
    Thanks, but no new one needed yet. Once we found the reject call setting issue, I held off on a replacement for now. So far, 3 new calls have rang through as they should. We'll see if the fix is temporary, but this is a great start!!! The rep at the store was overwhelmed.... Even after the GSam comments, he scrolled through my apps... "WOW, you have a lot" is all he said. I have purged to a healthy 95 or so... I thought, that's not a lot!!!

#12 Adam74, Dec 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 1